Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

2008 Ninja 250 Good Idea or Bad Idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Ninja 250 Good Idea or Bad Idea

What? You're better off buying a working old Honda Spree. At least it'll hold it's resale value and someone will actually want it.
If you really want a ninja, go here www.roadtrackandtrail.com, you can get them for under 2500 for the 500cc.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:45 PM

^ Ninja 250r's hold their value amazingly well. A lot of people get one as their first bike, ride it for a year or two, and then sell it for basically what they paid for it.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, put a solid 200km on the 250 in the past week (900 on the F4..) It is a great little bike. Tons of fun!! It is a bit buzzy @ freeway speeds. I took it to some more twisties, this bike is a blast. The only problem is that some people are like "wow, thats a 250!?!?!!!!!! it looks amazing", and some people say "Why the **** would you buy a piece of crap like that?? 250's are pointless." I just have to say to the people who say 250's are pointless, you are dead wrong. I used to have that sortof mentality, but after driving for a week, I think I would be happy to have just a 250r and nothing else.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:53 PM

I haven't ridden a new 250 but was able to get some time on an old one a friend had for many years. When we first started out on street bikes he bought a 250. As the years moved on we moved on to bigger bikes but he kept the 250. If a big group of us were going riding he would bring his F2, when he went out with small groups or alone he rode the 250. He said that he was able to have more fun on it at lower speeds and on shorter and smaller roads than his F2 required. He had some good points and I would have to agree... these bikes are lots of fun and with the new styling now they have some really good looks as long as your not trying to keep pace with any friends with 600's and 1000's on the straights. In our group we always ride to the least experienced rider anyway so it's not a big deal. I hope the manufactures keep focus on this part of the market as gas prices and speeding ticket fines (and consequences) increase. Good luck to you all and keep posting the pics![/align] [/align] Ps. I would have to go with green as my first choice then black.

[/align]

Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 AM

I can't believe they're not FI. I thought they were too.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 PM

I dunno about the power of the 250's. I guess for a around the town commuter it would be fine. Im not sure how excited I would be to get it out on the E-way. I definitely would NOT recommend it as a starter bike (unless you are very responsible)for one main reason. You WILL out grow it!! You will want to go faster and ride harder as you gain experience, which will become dangerous. You will try to get the bike to perform like your buddies and it just wont.

For about the same money I like the Kawasaki 650 ( forget the model name ) It's a V-twin...decent power..nice looks..and will last you longer and be an overall better investment, and it still wont go out and do 160 either

Just my .02....anyone else seen the 650?I checked it out at a motorcycle show for the misses.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:53 PM

I finally found 2 that are available. I have been wondering about this bike and whether or not to get one. For around town fine but on the highway with big semis and crazy speeders I was wondering if this had the stability and power to get away. Oh well I guess I'll find out. Can't be too bad.

While I was thinking about getting one, I had no idea that these things sold very quickly. I mean every dealer I went to were sold out. The minute they get one, its gone. I finally found a green and a black one and I have to make my decision quick.

Black looks good but I don't know its too hot during the summer. The green looks good but its green. The black one you can't tell what it is looking at it. You wonder what kind of bike it is. The green one you know its a kawi but don't have to look harder to try and tell which it is.

I think since the green one stands out a bit more and is easier to see might be the better idea so I don't get run in too by a cager.

If I get this bike I will post up some real owner reviews.

I have a feeling next years crop will be two tone.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

600f3toBuellXB, the Kawi 650 is a parallel twin. They make the Ninja 650R, and Versys 650. Both use the same motor. Not a v-twin.

The 250 is also a parallel twin motor.

For around the highway, the bike is fine. I have used it for commuting a few times now. About 300km of pure highway riding, and to be honest, it is comfortable and keeps up with traffic no problem. The bike weighs 370 lbs wet, which means it is about the same as a modern supersport or 1000. It does not buffet around like everyone says it would. IT IS a bit buzzy on the foot pegs and bars at highway speeds, but then again the lil motor is reving between 7-10 on the highway depending on what your doing. (Redline is 13). With just myself on it, the bike can get up to 160. (5'10", 145 lbs... scrawny bastard, i know..) With my gf on as well, two up, the bike does 135 top speed. (All speeds are KM/H)

Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 AM

Thanks...I knew it was a twin, forgot that it was parallel. But for the cash wouldnt a 650 be the better option? ( If I remember right its a small difference in price, maybe$1000-1500) Especially for a highway commuter. If you can commute via side roads I think a 250 would be alright. Although the estimated 60-70mpg may sway some people to ride a mosquitoon the highway.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:10 PM

I got the ninja today. And this bike is A W E S O M E!

For about 5 minutes. It has no power whatsoever. Minivans will pull out ahead of you at stop lights. Forget about passing someone unless you are speeding up and they are slowing down. You are ringing its neck the whole time. In first gear you hear it ringing to the redline and you are maybe going 15 - 20 mph. Maybe 25. 9000rpm in 6th and you are doing 65mph. I took it out on the highway and you are riding it to the max. You hear the engine topping out and you are close to the interstate speed limit. Vibrations start at the higher rpm range and everything starts to vibrate but not that bad. Extremely stable on the highway and no severe issues with wind blast.

Its comfy for about 100 miles. That's how many miles I put on it today and my *** is just starting to feel numb. But its okay.

So for those of you riding the big dogs, 1000cc up, you will not like this bike or you will for about 5min. Don't get me wrong, itis a very good bike for what it is. But $4k buys you alot of gas. It's only in the long run will you reap any gas consumption benefits.

This is the real no bs review. I know I paid for this, if I went back in time I would NOT have bought it. But its no problem because you really didn't spend that much. If this bike cost any more it would have been a big mistake. But for the price not a bad purchase at all. Its just what you prefer. Luckily if I want to get rid of this bike I know 2 kids getting started into motorcycling and can sell it to them.

This is my initial first 100 mile review and forget about the engine break in. That is rediculous and probably dangerous unless you plan on riding around a neighborhood for ever and ever. I am sure you have read all the other reviews, I am just saying if you ride 1000cc and up this will get old real quick.

I need to make some adjustments to the clutch, maybe my view will change with more mileage.
I'll give it this though, it's any extremely well handling bike. I just would not have bought this if I had experienced it like I did today. And when ever you ride a bike for a test ride, sometimes if you ride it just a little longer, if possible, your view might change.

Quick Reply: 2008 Ninja 250 Good Idea or Bad Idea