Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Who here has Wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here has Wrecked

As many of you guys here allready know I wrecked last week.
After 9 days in the hospital I am back home, Ill post pictures of the bike shortly.

I just wanted to know how many of you have wrecked, how, and what did you do to get back on the saddle, and get your family (wife, in laws, parents)of your back telling you to sell the bike.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Who here has Wrecked

Oohhh, Me, Me!!!!!! First time back riding today. Made me kind of nervous, but hey, got to get back use to it. I wasn't told to sell my bike or anything like that (however, my wreck wasnt near as bad as yours), but I was told not to be retarded by the fiancee or I will, and I quote, WILL be selling the bike if something like this happens again ,aha. But yea, I have hairline fracutre in my hand and thumb, but its been 2 weeks now. I guess its bound to happen eventually.

How you holding up?

Old 06-29-2007, 06:52 PM

Anyone who has ever rode a bike longer than 100 miles has probably wrecked....

1. On my 1992 ZX-6...after reading about how cool it was to raise you forks in the triples to put more weight on the front end, I did so...effectively lowering my bike about 15mm.

Only thing the magazine forgot to mention was to RAISE your headlamp...to compensate for the now lower pointing beam.

On a dark freeway entrance ramp...I was "outrunning my lights" as they say...hit a curb, where the entrance ramp jogged NEEDLESSLY right...hit a curb and totaled that bike.

2. On the same bike...much earlier in the year...got caught in a rain storm on the way home from work.

Instead of staying on the highway...where the traction...what there is of it, is better...my thinking at the time was to cruise slowly home on an old Historical POS road that still had the old, and now very slick, bricks, instead of asphalt. Dressed in office attire...a car pulled in front of me when I was doing about 40-45, the car was effectively running a red light...though the lot he was pulling out of was parallell to the light....I had two choices

1. Hit the car dead on at 40-45....

2. Grab the brakes...including the no no brake in the rain...the front brake...and try to stop.

I did 2....

About the time I eased on the front brake...the front wheeel went out from under me so fast...I had time to utter "Oh...Sh"...and was on the ground...skidding along...bodywork...scratching along the bricks...

Have had a few dirt bike get offs...

Old 06-29-2007, 06:59 PM

Only fell off my bike one time. I was doing a wheelie and gave it way too much gas. The bike went completly verticle. I ditched the bike (landed on my feet). The bike continued into a tree. I wasn't inujured at all but I did look like an idiot. Not much damage sustained to the bike. A chuck of the tree bark flew off.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Not really a wreck in my book but I lowsided taking a back road corner to fast. No injuries besides bruises and a scraped up leg. Everyone (myself included) knew that it was going to happen eventually so I didn't get any pep talks.

Then there was the panic stop where I flipped myself and the bike but the bike got way more messed up than I did.

I don't have any other type of car so wreck or no wreck, as long as it starts I get back on.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: some guy #2

Not really a wreck in my book but I lowsided taking a back road corner to fast. No injuries besides bruises and a scraped up leg. Everyone (myself included) knew that it was going to happen eventually so I didn't get any pep talks.

Then there was the panic stop where I flipped myself and the bike but the bike got way more messed up than I did.

I don't have any other type of car so wreck or no wreck, as long as it starts I get back on.
You know you are ok when you are more worried about your bike than yourself...hehe...

Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Thanks guys, I'm holding up fine. They released me from the hospital yesterday so I'm finally home. I am sooooo glad to see my little girl. She turned 3 months old the day before yesterday.

As for my wounds. the hand has almost healed (I had a 3 inch gash on it) so has the nee and the elbow. The ribs and chest wound are sore as hell and I kind of look like the silence of the lambs. iMy chest is more stiched up than hell. The stichess dont bother me at all. I just wish they would dry up faster so that I dont have to worry about an infection.

Thanks every one. I do plan to Ride on but with the wife, parents and in laws giving the "pep talk" every time they get the chance it gets verry agravating. Specially when they take it for a fact that I'm selling it.
Comentslike "thank god you are not riding ever again" make me want to go out start the thing and go for a spin broken ribs and all.

BTW It only sustained minor damages. ad actually its still rideable. A bent and rashed up brake lever, the frame slider was scraped almost all the way through, the rear tail fairing got rashed up too (where they always do) rear passenger peg rashed up, side fairing only a little rashed up. NO BROKEN PLASTIC anyware YAY!!

So all in all the bike ended up in much better shape then me :-)

Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 PM

I have had a couple, and have had the good fortune to always come out better than the bike. It takes a while to get your confidence back. the only thing that can fix that is time and miles. just ride, and get comfortable again. I am of the age, that the only opinion that matters besides mine is my wifes. She knows how much riding means to me, and knows thats what I do, and she doesnt want me to give it up unless its my decision. Although, she did threaten that I may have to get a cruiser if I keep trashing the CBR's

It has only been about a 1000 miles since I totalled out my last bike. I am starting to gain my confindence back, but I am having trouble with my suspension, so it is really got me on edge whenever I try to lean it hard. I lean it hard, and the suspension will suddenly lack feed back, so I stiffen up, which upsets the suspension, which cuases me to stiffen up, which upsets the suspension, and so on.

but regardless, I get back in the saddle every chance I get, becuase I love riding, and the ride is the joy. and every time you ride, you will gain confidence. I alsothink its important to do alot of long rides, not just ride it 15-20 miles and consider that getting back on the bike. Almost every weekend I ride I put about 250miles on the bike, a long ride like that on a sunday afternoon does wonders for getting backin touch with the bike and your confindence

Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

You know you are ok when you are more worried about your bike than yourself...hehe...
I have to accept that I wasn't too woried about the bike (not being able to breathe and all) but I was relieved when a guy came over and told me that they where putting my keys in my bag.

I later found out that someone else was trying to load the bike in the back of a pickup truck and that some of the other guys and the police stoped them and told them that the police had to take it so that someone on my family could get it back with the proper registration. This guy actually had the ***** to say he was a friend of mine and that he was taiking the bike to make shure it didn't get stolen. IMAGINE THE *****!

anyway It all turned out good so i have to be thankfull.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 PM

well I am not that young either. I am almost 30 and in my house the only opinion that counts is that of my wife's and mine. But as most guys know. When our wifes have a oposit point of view on something like this (specialy when they want it to go their way no matter what) they gang up on us with anyone that will support their ponit of view.

And with the exception of my Brothers and sister (all of wich have their own families) the rest of my family is not bike friendly.

Quick Reply: Who here has Wrecked