Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Who bought a computer with Vista/XP downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who bought a computer with Vista/XP downgrade?

ORIGINAL: NY Erion929

ORIGINAL: lonewolfcbr

Yea, i'll stick to my linux distro...if i want bs and more bs, i'll install windows
How much different is Linux, and does it support gaming? Could you possibly post a screen shot? /Thread Jack

ORIGINAL:rrasco

I see how it is when a computer guy needs help......
How did things work out for you? Dont know how the customer service tech is with HP, but with Dell you have a Time Limit on technical help on the phone
If you have to ask then linux isn't for you. Not being mean or anything. Its a serious statement.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not trying to dual boot. I was merely trying to figure out how the 'downgrade' thing was supposed to work. HP does still offer this, but only to big enough customers, it will not list it on their site. Ive never had a time limit on Dell or HP support, you guys are getting raped if they are doing that to you. I deal with them all the time. As for where I stand on my issue, I will quote myself:

ORIGINAL: rrasco

I figured out they are supposed to have XP on there and you get both disks, Vista and XP. Since Vista is licensed it is valid for a previous version of windows as well. If you want to upgrade to Vista, you can. If you want to keep XP, you do nothing. I was just going to perform the upgrade but something happened. Gotta figure that out now, something about being blocked via the unattend file. Which I dont know what that is.
On a side note, Vista is awesome, Ive used it for two years now. Im not trying to get into the Linux/Windows debate. These laptops are for my users and have to be joined to my SBS domain. Does Linux run AutoCAD? Linux is not an option. I have a VM of Ubuntu on my computer, but there is no reason to use it. Windows already does everything I need it to, plus I know how to troubleshoot/customize Windows. I cant say that about Linux.

If you guys have not heard about Windows 7, its supposed to blow Vista out of the water. Not that I am conceding anything is wrong with Vista to begin with. Now Mojave, that is a real piece of work.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:28 PM

Sooooooooooo Vista is installed and you want XP at all times? So no vista at all.

Format, install xp, done.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:20 PM

lol, negative. I dont want XP. Ok, in case you guys have not realized this yet, but I know how to install Windows, Vista and XP. The whole purpose of this thread was to figure out how it was all SUPPOSED to work in regards to the downgrade services. I wanted people with experience purchasing a system with a downgrade, not people telling me how to install Windows. Whats the point of buying a computer with an OS if I have to format the drive and rebuild the machine from scratch? That, is counterintuitive.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

lol, negative. I dont want XP. Ok, in case you guys have not realized this yet, but I know how to install Windows, Vista and XP. The whole purpose of this thread was to figure out how it was all SUPPOSED to work in regards to the downgrade services. I wanted people with experience purchasing a system with a downgrade, not people telling me how to install Windows. Whats the point of buying a computer with an OS if I have to format the drive and rebuild the machine from scratch? That, is counterintuitive.
Because they usually load it down with useless programs and customized loading screens.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:31 PM

I've never heard of a "downgrade" option and I'm constantly talking to people. I still think its big foot.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 AM

Downgrade is not so much a downgrade as you would think. It means they took the time to downgrade the OS to XP from Vista, what their method of doing so was probably just dropping an image of an XP machine onto it, that is what the downgrade refers to.