Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

whats the worst I could get charged with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the worst I could get charged with?

a "hypothetical" story

I was out on a "spirited" ride through the country today with one of my friends and we come up on a car (not tail gating him or any thing) coast is clear so I pass him (with plenty of room), then take off, kinda fast...

we get to a stop and the same car pulls up behind us, I look back at him to make sure he is stopping and not going to rear end me (I always check for that, kinda paranoid) and i notice he keeps looking at us then looking down, like he is taking down our tag #'s. He was old and I know old people can be crabby like that when it comes to young wipper-snappers like my self driving fast.

Now I am wondering, am I in the clear since I made it home without being bugged by the cops? I have been stopped before because someone called in reporting sport bikes speeding (it wasn't us though and we got let go) Do I have anything to worry about?

and yes I know speeding is bad on public roads.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Retired Super Moderator

You can't be charged with anything. Unless witnessed by an officer, its your word against his. Unless that person was filming you, with proof of your speed, and i'm not sure even that would be enough to charge you with anything.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 PM

From your "hypothetical" story, I would say that I agree with isolated... With one aside. You couldn't have exceeded the cars' speed by too much or he sped up to "catch " you. Times when I hypothetically sped away from cars it didn't take very far to put a huge time cushion between me and the "bed ****ter" in the stationwagon... So when the cop phones you at home and asks if you were operating a motorcycle on highway xxx between the hours of x an y, say yes... and there was a crazy individual weaving in and out of traffic in an old station wagon, tailgating and endangering your safety. He was driving so erratically behind you that you became scared and had to flee for your life to avoid his apparent road rage or drunkenness.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by isolated1523
You can't be charged with anything. Unless witnessed by an officer, its your word against his. Unless that person was filming you, with proof of your speed, and i'm not sure even that would be enough to charge you with anything.
I've pondered this hypothesis before, once or twice. If The Man didn't see you, it didn't happen. If The Man comes around, asking questions, tell Him that you "Can neither confirm, nor deny the charges", and plead the Fifth Amendment.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Nothing .............. Lucky you ....

Old 02-12-2009, 09:11 PM

Right. Nothing can happen. If he calls it in, the officer would have to get there and observe you break the law. A citizen can't do anything about misdemeanor traffic violations.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:34 PM

I believe that all the guy in the car would have to do is fill out a statement with the police and then they (the cops) use the tag to find your info. They come by and hassle you to make you admit to it and then they file charges against you. That's why you don't signify it happened if anyone asks you

Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 PM

I have had this happen to me before..I pulled out to pass a couple cars that i felt were going too slow. About 10 mins later as i got into down town i noticed a cop car sitting on the side of the road. I didnt think anything of it cause i was not speeding (at that time) but as i passed him the cruiser pulled out behind me, did a plate check im guessing then turned on the blues and pulled me over. his exact words were that he could not give me a ticket because he didnt see it happen but warned me that a lot of people have cell phones so to be careful what i do.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 AM
VP

I'm not sure how the law works in other states...but in Georgia you can only get a ticket if an officer sees you or you get in an accident.