Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: What kind of rider are you?
Street: I gotta show I've got panache or I'll explode
21.79%
Track: Give me a pack so I can lead it
5.13%
Freedom: I look for places away from everything else
41.03%
Stunt: Physics are a suggestion, not a law
6.41%
Race: I'm the fastest thing between Point A and B
8.97%
Twisties: I make straight lines out of curves
33.33%
Hyybrid: No one group defines me
41.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of rider are you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Decent reply BAMBAM. If thats the way we are defining street vs track, that works for me. just semantics.
As to the "squid" question, I would suggest the reason most of us ride machines with the capability they have is because part of the fun is the speed and ability of the bike. At 60 years I will generally keep her in the 80mph range on the highway ,generally keeping the speed limit on regular streets. Generally. I found out what happens when shifting above 7k, so every now and then..
.In the mountains ,where I ride (alone mostly) I generally violate the speed limit,actually testing myself at how my speed above the posted limit increases with skill...Within reason , the mountains can be unforgiving if you miss...next stop 200 feet down Still a wonderful ride.But it's NOT the track..duh. Then at night in the mountains I slow down to granma pace, no matter what. Deer and fox and what was THAT.. oh my. But the mountains,at night ,with a full moon reflecting off the canyon walls is surreal.... So ...am I a squid? Doesnt matter..I love to ride and and the name of the game is to have fun and make it home every day ,,,peace

Old 10-24-2009, 12:15 PM

straight squid is how i roll

Old 10-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Constant learning experience for me and not afraid to say it either. Like twisties
and back road uncrowded out of the way riding. Like to get a work out every now
and then pushing and testing my own limits when I 'm tuned in mentally for it.

Just love riding my bike ........it's that simple for for me anyhow.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Showtime_III
straight squid is how i roll
I might be closer to Calamari. That's a squid that's fried.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by JHouse
I might be closer to Calamari. That's a squid that's fried.
thats wassup. full throttle or go home! lane splitting tractor trailers on one wheel is how i roll

Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec

hybrid for me, well i like to be in fair weather.
if it rains when i'm out,so be it....
but it has to be dry before i go out

like the big city ride, the twisties and out of the corner onto full power for a jaunt.
like to lead on a ride out now and then, but would be far slower than the usual leaders. i turn into a cruiser when i lead

Old 10-25-2009, 06:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hangfire
The things we find to argue amongst ourselves about never ceases to amaze me, lol.

I mean, kuro seems to be a relatively new rider, who's still in the honeymoon, getting to know you phase of riding where the whole experience feels all zen and everythings exciting and he's trying to classify, quantify and identify all aspects of riding so he can "master" it. And perhaps his perspective on form vs. function is a little skewed and he's yet to learn that actually mastering anything isn't really possible and that all of us are permanent students when it comes to riding, till the day we die.

Big deal, he's new and he'll figure it out in time.We've all been there and some likely still are. Personally I find the fresh, slightly probey outlook on what ridings all about to be kinda refreshing, at least it's a change from the rest of us hard-***, too cool to get all excited about the ride, dumbed down holier than thou bastiges. Reminds me a little of why I got into riding in the first place.
Not quite a new rider. More of a returning semi-rider that didn't get it the first time around.

My first 2 wheel experience was back in the late 80s and it was a scooter. Mom ruled out a sports bike until (and I quote) "After I'm already dead so you won't kill me worrying bout you". Not the little ones thankfully. But one of the bigger ones that could get up to about 80-90 with my little frame on it. I kept that for a summer then upgraded to a 250 'cruiser' But both were simply Point A - Point B thing. Hell, neither made enough of an impression for me to even remember what kind they were. Though I do remember lowsiding on the scooter at about 60 mph

Well life continued and I graduated high school. Instead of continuing on bikes I moved into cars, which initially my mother was thankful for. Unfortunately for her, I went a Celica GT which prolly greyed her faster than a bike would (gave me a few greys too). Basically I stayed with cars for the next 20 years.... Until one drunken night at a strip club.

I happened to be talking with my F3's previous owner (yeah, I know 'holy chit! A dancer capable of speech!). Actuallly she's a good friend of mine and I was having a bit of a rough time at work. Told her I needed a distraction ("not that type so please move your hand"), a project I could focus on. Something I could validate myself with. Something I could take and prove to myself that I still was able to take on and finish a project. So Stacy says "Well I got a bike I haven't ridden in about 2 years..." $500 later and it starts from there.

2 years of sitting, a lifetime of careless ownership is the history behind my bike. I have a shyteload of work to do on her. All told I could have gone to the dealership and bought a brand new gixxer ( had pondered it a couple times through the years). Then yall'd be reposting the squidly shyte I did off gixxer.com But I honestly feel that project I took on has defined what I hope to achieve. To me the bike was fugly (in person, that yellow crap was horrendous). It did not run reliably (she's better but needs a little more work). And 20 years ago, all I wanted was transportation.

So yes I want her to look good. I want her to run well. I want to develop a riding style that sets me apart from the 'feet dragging, knees sticking out further than their mirrors', gearless wonders running rampant in Philadelphia. I don't want to travel 20+ miles on the weekendsto get some place before I can apply what I know and have learned. The street will be outside my door 24 / 7. It will always be the place where my bike spends the most time (since its unavoidable).

So that's me and why I am. Someone wants to call me a squid? Personally I think they need a better definition.

Damon "Kuroshio" W.

PS

As soon as it opens up, I plan to sign up for the 2010 MSF Experienced Riders Course. When I get a 2nd bike, I will take on both track and stunt classes. The Poconos prolly have some decent twisties I can play in. And Pennsylvania is a huge place to explore. But all that is for the weekend. And anything I learn there I will still focus and apply on what's 24 / 7: the street

Last edited by Kuroshio; 10-25-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Quick Reply: What kind of rider are you?