Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: What kind of rider are you?
Street: I gotta show I've got panache or I'll explode
21.79%
Track: Give me a pack so I can lead it
5.13%
Freedom: I look for places away from everything else
41.03%
Stunt: Physics are a suggestion, not a law
6.41%
Race: I'm the fastest thing between Point A and B
8.97%
Twisties: I make straight lines out of curves
33.33%
Hyybrid: No one group defines me
41.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of rider are you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgos929
How do you figure??? Sitting in traffic or street light to street light is completely different then a 50 mile stretch of road that has maybe 5 houses on it. I think you are the one that has your definitions all wrong. Also if you look there is a choice for street and twisties so obviously in the ops eyes and everyone elses they are 2 different things.
I didn't say anything about sitting in traffic or running street light to street light.

Here's my definition of street (given, the OP broke it down further). Street is any situation where you are riding in a public area with an open-ended route in which it is probable that you will have to interact with other motorists and are expected to operate within legal limits. That's the definition I would subscribe to and that's what I'm basing my pov on. Now if you think that definition is all wrong and want to nitpick silly things to find an argument, then we're at an impass and nothing constructive can probably come from this. However I think it's a pretty reasonable and encompassing definition. In my view you have 3 arenas for riding. You have the street, parking lots and other closed areas (typically for stunters), and tracks.

You're assuming that street means he's riding from light to light in a dense metropolitan area when the reality is that a lot of us live in smaller communities and choosing street doesn't mean we're running through downtown DFW trying to impress some guy on the gixxer across an intersection from us. However you justify it, you are still riding on the public streets when you're out in the country and you're still putting yourself and others at risk. It's still illegal and there are still motorists and dangers that you don't see on a closed course, regardless if those risks are somewhat dimished. I'm not saying a lot of us don't do it, but you seem like you're on a soap box here.

What kuro was saying, if I can speak for him, is not that he wants to impress some squid by how he took a 90 degree turn at a stop light, but how he can show some style and grace -- say on some 45 mph s-turn in his hometown -- and differentiate himself to motorists and others from the squids. In other words, he can have style and show fluid control of the bike without pushing the limits of the bike in a public space. We have all seen people that are very near the edge of losing control of their bike just riding around town, and then there are other riders who show command and confident control of their bike doing simple maneuvers. Looking through turns, smooth braking, deliberate lines, countersteering, not relying on keeping your feet down to keep from falling over for 100 yards after leaving an intersection... these are all stylish and subtle ways to differentiate oneself from squids without driving like a damn fool on the street.

Having style is not the same thing showing off just as someone trying to show off does not necessarily have style, so I think it is you who is crossing your definitions.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can speak for me chuckbear I don't showboat but I do aspire to make riding look good.

And I have a mirror in the bathroom if I ever need to look good for just myself

Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Now its sounding like you're trying to pick a fight You're betting I can't take a longer wider turn at speed cause I can take sharper shorter turns at speed. I didn't say anything earlier but it looked like you consider stunters to he squids too.

Just because our riding style doesn't match yours it doesn't mean we lack skill and knowledge in what we do. and I prolly stay inside the law far more than you so on the twisties. I mean how many people going down Deals Gap are doing so at 35-45 mph?

You remind me of a guy on another forum. He was calling a woman in a youtube video a squid cause she dropped her bike at about 10 mph. Then he for offended when I pointed out ahe was at the MSF Basic Riders Course and shouldn't be labelled a squid. She was after all there to learn to ride
All I can say is I disagree with both of you. If I go into a 12 paragraph rant like chuck (who by the way is standing on a much taller soap box then I am) then it will look like I'm picking a fight. Stunters are squids because what they do is showing off and when they're not doing it in a controlled environment like parking lots you can bet body parts there doing it out on the streets. Just to clarify I never said you lacked knowledge or skill. Putting words in peoples mouths is what gets fights started. Also please fix the poll choices cause obviosly chuck and me are having trouble differentiating between the choices. Thanks

Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
All I can say is I disagree with both of you. If I go into a 12 paragraph rant like chuck (who by the way is standing on a much taller soap box then I am) then it will look like I'm picking a fight. Stunters are squids because what they do is showing off and when they're not doing it in a controlled environment like parking lots you can bet body parts there doing it out on the streets. Just to clarify I never said you lacked knowledge or skill. Putting words in peoples mouths is what gets fights started. Also please fix the poll choices cause obviosly chuck and me are having trouble differentiating between the choices. Thanks
Seems to me you are spoiling for a fight. Shame you're gonna get disappointed. Think whatever dude. Call me squid if you want. I know I'm not and pretty sure others will back me on that.

But quick question: When you're rolling through the twisties, just how big is the discrepancy between your speedometer and the sign that says 'Speed Limit'?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Seems to me you are spoiling for a fight. Shame you're gonna get disappointed. Think whatever dude. Call me squid if you want. I know I'm not and pretty sure others will back me on that.

But quick question: When you're rolling through the twisties, just how big is the discrepancy between your speedometer and the sign that says 'Speed Limit'?
Its always good to have friends

Old 10-22-2009, 08:57 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I think it's funny that chuckbear felt the need to write all of that out, when we knew exactly what he meant the first time, and it still seems like he doesn't have a clue, or cares, what the OP's point of view is. Sorry man, just my observation.

Personally when I think of "street", I think of exactly what the OP intended. Maybe those of you who do live in smaller cities or communities can't really understand what us big city folk mean by street, but it's certainly a way of life in its own right in our neck of the woods.

Also to whomever said "Real riders ride bikes the way they were meant to be ridden," I have to disagree with you somewhat. Yes, people who track and have the general ability to control a motorcycle at high rates of speed usually fall into the "real riders" category. However, I know plenty of "real" riders who don't track, and I know some guys who have a death wish every time they go screaming into the twisties. We can't start classifying everyone, because there's always exceptions.

Oh, and don't get me started on "stunting = squids". Because they aren't. Yes, SOME ARE, just like every other bike stereotype. But I know a ton of them, and they know what they're doing.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Squid=endangers himself and others without any regard to the outcome/results of their actions. And thier typical excuse for a crash is 'it was the bike bla bla bla' i.e. its never they're fault they're too good a rider bs.

I can break this down even more, but all it would do is end up including every single one of us. We ALL do squidly things, oh not me you say? Do you wear ATGATT? if not you're being squidly. Do you obey the speed limit??? if not, you got it, you're being squidly.

Rossi does squidly shyt as most every other rider in the world. The difference between a good n bad squid is, a good squid does everything in his/her power to make sure they are not endangering anyone else.

So that 150mph+ blast on that out of the way back yard is still squidly, why? because grandma or grandmas dog, or grandmas cow, or bambie, thumper, winnie the pooh, etc can waltz right out in front of you. And at 150mph+, upon1, etc, not only will you most likely not see them, there wont be a phuqing thing you can do about it!!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aken
I think it's funny that chuckbear felt the need to write all of that out, when we knew exactly what he meant the first time, and it still seems like he doesn't have a clue, or cares, what the OP's point of view is. Sorry man, just my observation.
No worries, man. But if you already understood then that wall of text wasn't for you. It was for the dude who blatantly didn't get what I was saying.

I'm pretty sure I understand what the OP was getting at, and I was giving my take on it. That's what we do on the forums, right? We discuss things relevant to the theme of the forum?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Talking wear your tentacles

Lets be serious, its hard to wear angel wings and ride the bikes we ride, i dont think its right to stunt in traffic , however i pull a decent wheely here and there, i ride too fast sometimes, i shoot traffic at lights sometimes, im a no good son of a bitch, am i a squid? probrobly... however i would not want to injure or cause harm to anyone during my rides, so pick the time and place to pull off shenannagens wizely. lets not candy coat it tho... a track is a track and the street is the street. peace

Quick Reply: What kind of rider are you?