Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: What kind of rider are you?
Street: I gotta show I've got panache or I'll explode
21.79%
Track: Give me a pack so I can lead it
5.13%
Freedom: I look for places away from everything else
41.03%
Stunt: Physics are a suggestion, not a law
6.41%
Race: I'm the fastest thing between Point A and B
8.97%
Twisties: I make straight lines out of curves
33.33%
Hyybrid: No one group defines me
41.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of rider are you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most years I would say 80% touring and 20% local twisties... this year I'm 90% track and 10% local twisties

The bike is a whole new creature on the track - and it is a lot of fun to uncork her

Old 10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Freedom, with a strong background of the street style you describe. Love making those slow turns look stylish and smooth. counter-steering ftw!
Next year I'm gonna exploring Pennsylvania. I've driven across it to get to Indiana and its friggin huge! Right now tho my bike is about 80% and my skills about 75%. Not a combo for long rides to nowhere

Originally Posted by Elfling
Soo true. I hate still being a noob. I really look forward to the day I've got it down to the point I can stop thinking so much about every turn and every stop.
I start out my daily commute like that: staring at the trolley tracks thinking "Uh oh", taking an S curve near the house gingerly and such. By the time I'm almost to the office, I've settled way down and everything is in sync. I really need a longer commute

Originally Posted by Juliet
Freedom: I look for places away from everything and everyone else ... and I ride alone these days, I have been this way for a while now........

Jules
Wot? You mean all those canyons, glades and forests aren't a park in the middle of the city??? Juliet, you find the far away places then take pics to show everyone how good nowhere looks

Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
Not trying to start anything but everything about the above labels you as a "squid". I just wanted you to be aware of that.

Now me I would say twisties. I only ride street to get to where the twisties are. I dont stunt because I'm not a squid and dont like to be put in harms way because of someone elses showing off. Freedom I guess because the twisties are usually located in rural areas but I never ride alone because that is dangerous. If I had a cruiser maybe but not on a sportbike. Track yes but not nearly as much as I would like.
Have to disagree with your first line.

I don't believe people who say they don't count the look/allure of riding a motorcycle in the reasons they ride. Impressing people isn't a bad thing- it just shouldn't be the only reason, but it's a nice perk. I'm not much of an attention ***** in real life, tend to be a loner, but I have to admit when I get attention on the bike it does make me kind of grin to myself.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM

I don't believe people who say they don't count the look/allure of riding a motorcycle in the reasons they ride. Impressing people isn't a bad thing- it just shouldn't be the only reason, but it's a nice perk. I'm not much of an attention ***** in real life, tend to be a loner, but I have to admit when I get attention on the bike it does make me kind of grin to myself.
If style wasn't a motive we'd dump the sportsbikes, snappy gear and look like this

Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 AM

freedom. I would love to be the only person on the road at anytime

Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

lol i suck i checked every single box

Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
lol i suck i checked every single box
nothing wrong with that. lots of reasons to ride, and lots of things to do!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
You know that street also includes rural twisties right? Anything that's not in a parking lot or on a track is the street..
How do you figure??? Sitting in traffic or street light to street light is completely different then a 50 mile stretch of road that has maybe 5 houses on it. I think you are the one that has your definitions all wrong. Also if you look there is a choice for street and twisties so obviously in the ops eyes and everyone elses they are 2 different things.

"The street is my play ground" and "style tops my list" means that you ride just to be seen not to ride. Leaning over around a 90* turn at an intersection is not impressive to me. The problem is you probably cant do that out on the real back roads or a track at speed. Showing off to the squids with my style and skills??? Who cares, real riders ride these bikes how they were meant to be ridden. Showing a "squid" you can turn better then him going slow puts you right there with them IMO. Your showing off and thats what squids do.

Last edited by jgos929; 10-22-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Little commute and a whole lot of twisties. Occasionally I'll do a wheelie or stoppie, but not on the highway.

Oh yeah, I do the occasional track day as well.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jgos929
How do you figure??? Sitting in traffic or street light to street light is completely different then a 50 mile stretch of road that has maybe 5 houses on it. I think you are the one that has your definitions all wrong. Also if you look there is a choice for street and twisties so obviously in the ops eyes and everyone elses they are 2 different things.

"The street is my play ground" and "style tops my list" means that you ride just to be seen not to ride. Leaning over around a 90* turn at an intersection is not impressive to me. The problem is you probably cant do that out on the real back roads or a track at speed. Showing off to the squids with my style and skills??? Who cares, real riders ride these bikes how they were meant to be ridden. Showing a "squid" you can turn better then him going slow puts you right there with them IMO. Your showing off and thats what squids do.
Now its sounding like you're trying to pick a fight You're betting I can't take a longer wider turn at speed cause I can take sharper shorter turns at speed. I didn't say anything earlier but it looked like you consider stunters to he squids too.

Just because our riding style doesn't match yours it doesn't mean we lack skill and knowledge in what we do. and I prolly stay inside the law far more than you so on the twisties. I mean how many people going down Deals Gap are doing so at 35-45 mph?

You remind me of a guy on another forum. He was calling a woman in a youtube video a squid cause she dropped her bike at about 10 mph. Then he for offended when I pointed out ahe was at the MSF Basic Riders Course and shouldn't be labelled a squid. She was after all there to learn to ride

Quick Reply: What kind of rider are you?