Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: What kind of rider are you?
Street: I gotta show I've got panache or I'll explode
21.79%
Track: Give me a pack so I can lead it
5.13%
Freedom: I look for places away from everything else
41.03%
Stunt: Physics are a suggestion, not a law
6.41%
Race: I'm the fastest thing between Point A and B
8.97%
Twisties: I make straight lines out of curves
33.33%
Hyybrid: No one group defines me
41.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of rider are you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Freedom, with a strong background of the street style you describe. Love making those slow turns look stylish and smooth. counter-steering ftw!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Freedom, with a strong background of the street style you describe. Love making those slow turns look stylish and smooth. counter-steering ftw!
Ya, there's something about making it look effortless. Now I gotta keep practicing so it is effortless all the time

Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it helps to have your feet up in the air.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Ya, there's something about making it look effortless. Now I gotta keep practicing so it is effortless all the time
Soo true. I hate still being a noob. I really look forward to the day I've got it down to the point I can stop thinking so much about every turn and every stop.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by JHouse
I find it helps to have your feet up in the air.
*snickers*

this does not make me think about riding..bikes.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Freedom: I look for places away from everything and everyone else ... and I ride alone these days, I have been this way for a while now........

Jules

Last edited by Juliet; 10-20-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

i like the solitude, too. it's nice that even when riding with my SO we're not talking, it still feels like my own little world.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
In another post I guess I finally pegged the type of rider I am and want to be: Street. My playground is are the city streets, where speed rarely enters the equation. Style tops the list. Making the squids look bad purely through my skills: mechanically, artistically and riding skills. Trying to make my bike look and sound better through what I did, instead of what I paid someone else to do. Trying to show that I'm the master of my bike. And not the bike mastering me. Where the squids are slowing to 10 mph and turning the bars to make a turn, I want to lean her over to take the same turn without needing to scrub any speed. And do it all in a way where the cagers think or say "Why can't other bikers be like him?"

So what type of rider are you? What are your goals in riding?
Not trying to start anything but everything about the above labels you as a "squid". I just wanted you to be aware of that.

Now me I would say twisties. I only ride street to get to where the twisties are. I dont stunt because I'm not a squid and dont like to be put in harms way because of someone elses showing off. Freedom I guess because the twisties are usually located in rural areas but I never ride alone because that is dangerous. If I had a cruiser maybe but not on a sportbike. Track yes but not nearly as much as I would like.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgos929
Not trying to start anything but everything about the above labels you as a "squid". I just wanted you to be aware of that.

Now me I would say twisties. I only ride street to get to where the twisties are. I dont stunt because I'm not a squid and dont like to be put in harms way because of someone elses showing off. Freedom I guess because the twisties are usually located in rural areas but I never ride alone because that is dangerous. If I had a cruiser maybe but not on a sportbike. Track yes but not nearly as much as I would like.

How does enjoying being smooth and using proper technique make him a squid? Aspirations of counter-steering... sounds like a pretty non-squidly goal to me.

I dunno, I'm not seein it man. You know that street also includes rural twisties right? Anything that's not in a parking lot or on a track is the street..

Old 10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929

Guess we have different definitions of squid.

A squid to me is someone that has little control over their bike. Even when going in a straight line, the throttle is controlling them. They don't corner because they can't, never learning anything beyond mount -> hang on -> dismount.

A squid is someone absolutely ignorant of the word 'Safety'. They don't maintain their bike in any fashion, waiting till something breaks before taking it to a shop. Their learning experience consisted of getting on the bike, not killing themselves and guessing that's all there was to it. Gear is ornamental, there to make them 'look good' and not protect their body (guy wearing full race race in a night club). And they ride with a complete disregard for the safety of others around them. Riding at slightly less than retarded speed in heavy traffic, pulling (or attempting) stunts in traffic and adopting the same attitude towards cagers that the worse of them have towards us (aka: Who the **** are you to be on my street???).

This is my definition of a squid

And I'm know I don't fall anywhere near that. Nor does anyone else that picked that description.

Quick Reply: What kind of rider are you?