Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What job do you have now and what job would you get if you had to do it again, and why.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What job do you have now and what job would you get if you had to do it again, and why.

Current:
In the summer, manager at a grocery store
In the winter, college full time and work at the desk at a gym

If I could Do it Again:
Cant really say right now...but looking foward at my probable career path into the corporate world I might reconsider going to college (I know i know so many ppl would kill for the opportunity) and taking over the family construction/building company. The movie Office Space scares the **** out of me when i think that could be me in 5 years

Old 10-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Default RE: What job do you have now and what job would you get if you had to do it again, and why.

Why I started the topic is because I am getting older and still kind of have no clue what I want to do. Things I've done in the past were, certified auto technician, Realtor, motorcycle technician, went to police academy, almost have my criminal justice degree, did some construction work, I love math and science, had a thought about getting a degree for any kind of engineering job, thought about becoming a teacher. So many options, my biggest problem was either pick money or something that I would love to do, wish I could find a job that I could do both.

My latest idea was to open a mechanical shop/school, where I'd get to work on cars, and teach troubled kids mechanical technician trade, because college is not for everybody. It's kind of like little bit of everything from police academy, little bit of teaching, and working on cars/motorcycles. I get to have my own business, which is my dream, I get to teach young minds, have them apply their energy to something positive instead of drinking or doing other negative things ( I've learned from police academy that criminal system is not very good, especially dealing with minors, and I feel if I get to put them to a good use I'd rather see them fix cars, instead of robbing people and going through the whole criminal system cycle). Kids won't have to pay any money to do that, and it's going to be all hands on, no class room. They'll get to work on my customers cars ( my prices will be much lower than normal shops), and I will be checking on every single thing, so when the cars get done, they'll be 100% done. I'll have new kids start out doing simple stuff, like cleaning the shop, tools, etc. Learn how to check the cars out, helping on other minor jobs like brakes, suspension. Then figure out what they like ( body work, engine work, suspension, a/c heating,) and put them in groups where they're going to be concentrating on what they like.

I am not 100% sure how I am going to pull it off, but we'll see. What do you guys think???

Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: nabobblaster

Real nice jobs guys. I'm a highschool drop out I'm 32 have two kids make less than 30000 dollars a year.If I had it to do again I would have stayed in school and became an astronautical engineer.I am a self proclamed genius.Sucks that women was more important than schooling.Learn from me guys stay in school it's the only chance you got.
You're still young man.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 PM

Whoa man sounds like you've been around the block in terms of jobs a few times. Better to try out everything and see what you like rather than get stuck with something you hate.

I think you have a pretty cool idea going on. Maybe you could get the Juvenile center to agree to let you teach some of their kids a few days a week. I probably wouldn't have the kids work on customers cars. It would be hard to get their business when you tell them that troubled kids are going to fix their brakes. Plus if they're not certified, I imagine your business insurance would be crazy. You could have your own shop with certified mechanics, and just have the kids watch in on things kind of like a Internship.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:57 PM

I am a Instrument/Electrical Designer. I went to a TSTC to be an Instrument Tech or a Electrican or both at a refinery. But when I was about to graduate, I started having engineering firms interview me for the job I have now and I love it. I guess I should say that I love it for as much as you can love a job. I would much rather just have a few millions of dollars and a bunch of hookers hanging out with me.

I am considering going back to school part time in a year or two for Electrical Engineering but not sure.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 PM

I am an automotive technician, and I like what I do. I think if I were to do it over again, I would like to get into electronic engineering.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Occupational Safety and Health Manager. I would love to be a professional soccer, tennis or golf player!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 PM

United States Marine 0321. It's a serious love/hate relationship..but i wouldnt change it for anything..

Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 AM

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined,. physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.

I love what I do. Wouldnt change it for the world. I went to Jr. HS, and HS with Plaxico Burress of the NY Giants. Seeing him and his successused to make me wish I would have stuck to sports instead of smoking weed. Now, I am satisfied. Not rich by any means, but I am comfortable, and live better than average.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 AM

you went to school with Plax? wow, him and i go way back.......actually all the way back to 2 years ago when i had him on my Fantasy Football team.....

doog on a more serious note.....thanks for everything you do. i have a brother in the US Army and i have a slight idea of how much shyt you go through for our country....thank you.