Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What Handguns Do You Suggest

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Taurus sucks as bad as kawasaki.

Glocks are a great choice, not alot to customize though. Customizing tends to lead to highly accurate and not extremely reliable weapons, I suggest NOT customizing.
For a low price begginer gun I'd suggest a ruger P90 or perhaps a cz97b if you can find one cheap. Mid price guns are the glocks and s&w's M&P series. Both are uber reliable and the standerd issue guns of most police departments [although they use girly .40] you should also look at the FNP45, thats big on my wish list for next handgun purchase.
High end guns would be something like an HK45, which isen't worth the money. A glock will do everything the HK does better. Sig's build quality has taken a huge dump in the last 5-8yrs and I don't suggest them anymore.
As for 1911's Im not a big expert, I just know from exsperience that taurus sucks, alot.

Now when it comes to home defence, a shotgun will loose [quickly!]againts my FAL. Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL
thx man...

OH AND I FORGOT THE BIGGEST PURPOSE OF IF I GET A 1911... POLISHING IT WHEN THE DAUGHTERS BF COMES OVER haha shes not even 1 yet and im looking forward to it

thx for the suggestions bored... also ide love a auto... DAMN Illinois gun laws

Old 07-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

No no the FAL isen't auto, most were made semi-auto even for the military's. You can't control a .308 rifle on full auto. I forgot to point out, nobody seems to consider distance for home defence. At the standerd range a shootout in the house happens the shotgun won't be spreading its shot at all, meaning you need to aim it just like a rifle or pistol. Shotguns are good for hunting and clay pigeons!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
At the standerd range a shootout in the house happens the shotgun won't be spreading its shot at all, meaning you need to aim it just like a rifle or pistol.
+1 here... most house shootings prolly have the distance between shooters or intruders at 10 feet or less

Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i personally have a 35 series glock /sport tactical .40 cal. upgraded night sights, extended mag release, pre-ban clip. its been a great gun

my brother has a HK .45 and my buddy has a ruger SR9 9mm .. both are fun guns to shoot but when it comes down to it , its all personal preference. in relation to home defense i think a 9mm is a waste and a .45 is a lil too big so .40 cal is perfect choice (for a handgun) but no house is truly complete with a shotgun (the sound is truly intimidating)

hell i also have a .243 model 160 winchester incase they decide to run lol

Old 07-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Glock 19, 44magnum super black hawk and a 12 gauge are what I have. I conceal the glock, its a very reliable handgun + ammo is cheap for a 9mm. Johnnyh

Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Not to imply that there aren't some good opinions/advice here but would you go to a gun forum and ask them what kind of motorcycle to buy? Take your question to one of the many handgun/self defense forums so you don't end up with something you don't really want or need. I really hope I'm not offending anyone here, but there are so many guns out there to chose from I honestly believe you'd get better advice from the people who deal with this kind of question on a daily basis. One man's trash is another man's treasure. I've always been a fan of the 1911's from Colt but they tend to be expensive. I've heard good things about Springfield's XD-45, relatively inexpensive, reasonably accurate, but not too sure about any customizing potential.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 PM

this is the off topic for a reason...

and no people on the gun forums are addicts..... not saying they all are but alot of them creep me out..... regardless once i get first opinions on where to start lookin then perhaps i would go to a gun forum and ask their opinions

but every gun owner on a gun forum is going to get far to in depth for me to understand, along with the fact that just like honda owner and such gun owners are die hard and may just suggest one type of gun because theyde suggest no other...

where people here are open minded

Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18
this is the off topic for a reason...

and no people on the gun forums are addicts..... not saying they all are but alot of them creep me out..... regardless once i get first opinions on where to start lookin then perhaps i would go to a gun forum and ask their opinions

but every gun owner on a gun forum is going to get far to in depth for me to understand, along with the fact that just like honda owner and such gun owners are die hard and may just suggest one type of gun because theyde suggest no other...

where people here are open minded
Pretty much any of the popular brands / pistols be a good pistol, what is much more important is how the pistol fits you, you need to go to a gun shop and handle anything you have any interest in, your favorite gun so far may not fit in your hand comfortably.

I personally own a Sig Sauer p250 in .40 and i like it alot, the double action only trigger takes some getting used to but it fits my hand great and allows me to quickly and easily shoot accurately.

I also prefer a "tactical" pistol for home defense, one that has a rail to accommodate a light / laser and comes with night sights.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would pass on the Taurus. They seem to be hit or miss in the quality control department and their CS sucks.
For a 1911, I would go with Springfield. They're reliable and Springer won't let you down in the customer service department. (probably because they aren't that busy...lol)
Colts are good guns, too, but that name is just synonymous with dollar signs. You can get more Springfield for the money. Same deal with Kimber. I wouldn't own a kimber because I see it as a big gamble. Take the Kimber Aegis VS. the Springfield EMP. EMP hands down for $1000. Kimbers are hit or miss. IMO, they are the Harley Davidson of the Gun World and I'm sorry if it offends people. For the money, there are better guns out there.
Another good manufacturer is CZ. The CZ P-01 is a great 9mm. (as are most CZs). Nice looking, nice size, good capacity, well balanced, well-built, and reliable. (and around $550 new) CZ makes a ton of great pieces. Dan Wesson is owned by CZ, and they also make stylish and reliable firearms. A little pricey, but nice.

I know you said "no glocks" and I hear ya on that one, although as a tool they're just great guns. I've had several, and still have a 21 and 22. Not a whole lot as far as customization goes, but they don't really need anything anyway. (although night sights are nice)
I don't even know how many thousands of rounds I've put through my 21, and have yet to have a single malfunction.

In other black guns... the Springfield XD Series are good and you can find them priced pretty well used. ($470 new for the 4" 9mm pachage)
I'm not a fan of the XDM, but it's all in the looks.
Another great gun is the Smith and Wesson M&P. Reliable, adjustable backstraps to fit your hands, etc. Smith hit a homerun with this one, imo, and they have $50 rebates until Oct.($470 new w/rebate) I have both an XD and M&P, btw.
Also, Ruger makes pretty good stuff. The P-series may not be the best looking, but they're reliable and shoot well. The price is the best part. You can also find them used for cheap.

I noticed that nobody has mentioned wheelguns!
A nice Stainless Ruger GP100 will scare the bejeesus out of any would-be boyfriend. Plus, you can spin the cylinder for added effect. (those big hollow point 357mag rounds spinning around should be enough to put anyone on edge... lol)

On the caliber debate, I like my .45ACPs but nobody is gonna laugh at getting hit with a 9mm. I think most of it is in people's heads. The kind of ammo they make nowadays will shred your azz, even in 9mm. So my advice would be to get a 9mm and practice with it. 9mm winchester white box is about $20/100rnds whereas 45ACP is over twice that. (just get some "good" ammo for defense)
I'd rather see people go out and practice twice as much because getting good with your gun is very important. Shot placement and hitting your target is 90% of the battle and 9mm makes practice much easier on the wallet. (unless you reload like me so it doesn't really matter)
The 40 is a good round (and I own 2), but i find it a little "snappy" in some frames.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 07-22-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Personally, I would pass on the Taurus. They seem to be hit or miss in the quality control department and their CS sucks.
For a 1911, I would go with Springfield. They're reliable and Springer won't let you down in the customer service department. (probably because they aren't that busy...lol)
Colts are good guns, too, but that name is just synonymous with dollar signs. You can get more Springfield for the money. Same deal with Kimber. I wouldn't own a kimber because I see it as a big gamble. Take the Kimber Aegis VS. the Springfield EMP. EMP hands down for $1000. Kimbers are hit or miss. IMO, they are the Harley Davidson of the Gun World and I'm sorry if it offends people. For the money, there are better guns out there.
Another good manufacturer is CZ. The CZ P-01 is a great 9mm. (as are most CZs). Nice looking, nice size, good capacity, well balanced, well-built, and reliable. (and around $550 new) CZ makes a ton of great pieces. Dan Wesson is owned by CZ, and they also make stylish and reliable firearms. A little pricey, but nice.

I know you said "no glocks" and I hear ya on that one, although as a tool they're just great guns. I've had several, and still have a 21 and 22. Not a whole lot as far as customization goes, but they don't really need anything anyway. (although night sights are nice)
I don't even know how many thousands of rounds I've put through my 21, and have yet to have a single malfunction.

In other black guns... the Springfield XD Series are good and you can find them priced pretty well used. ($470 new for the 4" 9mm pachage)
I'm not a fan of the XDM, but it's all in the looks.
Another great gun is the Smith and Wesson M&P. Reliable, adjustable backstraps to fit your hands, etc. Smith hit a homerun with this one, imo, and they have $50 rebates until Oct.($470 new w/rebate) I have both an XD and M&P, btw.
Also, Ruger makes pretty good stuff. The P-series may not be the best looking, but they're reliable and shoot well. The price is the best part. You can also find them used for cheap.

I noticed that nobody has mentioned wheelguns!
A nice Stainless Ruger GP100 will scare the bejeesus out of any would-be boyfriend. Plus, you can spin the cylinder for added effect. (those big hollow point 357mag rounds spinning around should be enough to put anyone on edge... lol)

On the caliber debate, I like my .45ACPs but nobody is gonna laugh at getting hit with a 9mm. I think most of it is in people's heads. The kind of ammo they make nowadays will shred your azz, even in 9mm. So my advice would be to get a 9mm and practice with it. 9mm winchester white box is about $20/100rnds whereas 45ACP is over twice that. (just get some "good" ammo for defense)
I'd rather see people go out and practice twice as much because getting good with your gun is very important. Shot placement and hitting your target is 90% of the battle and 9mm makes practice much easier on the wallet. (unless you reload like me so it doesn't really matter)
The 40 is a good round (and I own 2), but i find it a little "snappy" in some frames.
dang thx kilgor lol.. youve most def. given me a long list of guns to look through... and i will rigorously as i do with anything im looking to purchase

Quick Reply: What Handguns Do You Suggest