Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Web Page Designers??? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Web Page Designers??? Anyone?

Anyone on here know how to design webpages or could tell me or do it as a job??? I have Dreamweaver on my Puter, but I dont know how to load everything [[&:][:-][>:]]on there and I dont know how to host it. Also, anyone know where a good place to buy and host domain names is???

I am trying to make a website for my business. Let me know if any ofyou folks do it or know how to do it. Also, a place where to do it. Any info would REALLY help!! Let mw know, Thanks Nick

Old 01-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Default RE: Web Page Designers??? Anyone?

I am a professional web developer. PM me and Ill answer your questions.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can host at 1and1.com they are really cheap and so far for me have been really good. although with them there is no browser based file management, you have to do it all via FTP or SSH. not really hard using FTP at all. they do offer massive amounts of space and bandwidth for their costs. i pay $10/mo and get 2,000 email addys, 250GB storage, 2TB bandwidth, SSH access, and a slew of other features.

when it comes to websites you need 2 things; a host, and a domain. where you register the domain is not really important, however most places will give you a domain or more for free if you sign up for hosting. such as 1and1, they give you 3. you dont have to register a domain at the same place as you host either, it just makes it easier to manage...sometimes.

if you need any help with anything, id be glad to help...just ask.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Ok, I am kind of understanding what is going on. I have not idea FTP or SSH is at all. Can I do all of it on Dreamweaver from where I just load the pictures and then update it, or how do I go about doing that? Also, how do I go about getting my site on a search engine for my business?

Old 01-20-2007, 03:48 PM

well the first question is straight forward. your second question hits a topic which had an industry spring up around it. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) which is getting your site ready to be indexed better by search engines.

I dont know if Dreamweaver has a built in FTP client or not, some apps like that do. I believe there is a way to sync your local files with those on your server but i would have to look into it.

HTTP - Hyper Text Transfer Protocol - Browser based requests and transfers like in internet explorer or firefox.
FTP - File Transfer Protocol - FTP client transfers. You can get many many different FTP clients to transfer files. It basically asks you for 3 things, your HOST (will be your domain - www.yoursite.com), user and pass which is supplied by your hosting company. you then connect and can upload and manage files from there.
SSH - Secure Shell Access - This is a command line based control of your server. You wont use this unless you need to setup something like a cron job. However, and experienced desinger could do all of their file mgmt through SSH.

Here are a few screen shots of CuteFTP, the FTP client I use.

First you will need to connect to your server using the information supplied by your host.

Here you can see we are now connected. the left side is for local files (the files on your computer) and the right is remote files (files on your server).

You can create directories on your server just like you would on your comp at home, once you have navigated to the right dir on the remote location, you can right click and see all you available options, like upload.

that is the jist of it. we can get into more details of it later if you have any specific questions.

SEO, to get a better understanding of this, go to google and search SEO, there will be more than enough information for you there as well as tons of companies willing to optimize your site, for a fee of course, but that is unnecesary, I will help you!

btw, what business you setting up a site for?

Old 01-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Thanks so much man!!!! I bought a program today too I am going to try. I am setting up a Vinyl and Decal business. Signs, Banners, Decals, etc.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Retired Moderator

Websites are pretty simple to do in Dreamweaver. It has FTP features built-in, or you can just edit your site live. Either way, Dreamweaver is an excellent program. Just get some server space and a domain somewhere, and go at it. Trial and error is a common practice with website design. (I've done many myself).