Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Visibility while riding in the rain.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visibility while riding in the rain.

For all you guys with time in the rain; what do you use on your visor to allow you to see through it? Especially at night.

Gas prices here in SoCal is stupid so I've been trying to take my bike to work as many days as I can (weather permitting). When I leave for work, it's dry, but at night when I come home it will sprinkle or the fog droplets are so big that its amost like a sprinkle. My visibility sucks! My friend says that Rain-X isn't for plastic and their site doesn't mention anything one way or the other.

So what do you guys do?

Old 05-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Default RE: Visibility while riding in the rain.

I try to use Rain-X if I know it is supposed to rain. I also stuff a couple rags or paper towels above the gauges and try to wipe the shield off while I am riding or when I stop at a traffic light. I try to wear a softer pair of gloves and wipe the shield with my hand.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:08 PM

My cage is a Cavalier 05 and i work almost 40 miles from home ...so i bite the bullet at the pump and only ride to work when there isnt any rain in the forecast or any clouds for at least 600 miles on the Doppler.I rode in the rain my first day way back when and its something ill never soon forget ..i just dont do it...LOL...im not that hardcore.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:33 PM

I don't use anything on it. My puig race windscreen w/ my head angled just right and the visor open half way pushes the water off towards the top and bottom of my visor leaving it clear thru my line of sight. My face gets a little wet but it's rain so everthing gets wet. A little water never hurt anyone, kill two birds w/ one stone. I get to where I need to go and the bike gets a bath!

Old 05-06-2006, 06:40 PM

I have been riding for 16 years and I have always used Rain-X
on my Shoei Visors with out any problem.Just be sure to use a very soft cloth when wiping the visor,
I use a cloth diaper myself. Paper towels, Kleenex'sand the sort will scratch your visor.

With Rain-X, all water drops will roll off the visor, I just turn my head a little for a second and the water beads
cascade off the side. I apply Rain-X two or three times for the first treament, then about every two weeks
depending on the weather. I ride up in the San Francisco area (Tomales to San Francisco and Back Everday) where I hit fog and drizzle comprable to your conditions to my south daily. In a pinch, I even used a potato once.................

I haven't found Rain-X Anti Fog to be very usefull though, my Visor still fogs up inside.
I leave for work at 4am and it is cold, my visor fogs quickly from my breathing.

BTW, gas here is anywhere from $3.24 a gallon for 87 to $3.79 for 93.
What is it in the LA area if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-07-2006, 01:24 AM

I bought some Rain-X before coming to work today. Fog is in the forecast, so I'll have to see how it works out.

87 octain gas today was $3.39 in Ramona, CA.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:34 AM

ORIGINAL: mjflagg

I bought some Rain-X before coming to work today. Fog is in the forecast, so I'll have to see how it works out.

87 octain gas today was $3.39 in Ramona, CA.
It takes a couple of applications to really build up a protective layer. Clean your visor well, apply a coat, let it haze and wipe it off, then do it again. Do it every few weeks, I think you'll be happy with the results. I thought about applying it to my whole body to see if I can stay dry in the rain......... Just Kidding.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6877/44B249EE1B3545DFAC670BCDD51F0EA8.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2006, 05:56 AM

Heres what I do, I just crank up my Ipod get a good head bang going to some Trivium or whatever and rain dosen't stand a chance on my visor. I'm seriously you guys.