Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Vfr1200

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vfr1200

I got my issue of Motorcyclist in the mail today and they had computer renderings and spy shots of a replacement for the VFR800

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ne...200/index.html

not mentioned on that page from the issue are a few engine details

1. cylinder layout is not standard V4, the 2 front cylinders and the bookends for the crank
(from left to right it is: Front, Rear, Rear, Front) instead of alternating as is usual
this is done to make the bike narrower at its midsection closest to the rider
2. as part of the variable displacement technology, the front cylinders will use a sohc with tappets (from the CRF450R) and the rear will use DOHC with VTEC and will be the cylinders that are cut out.

I can't wait to see one of these in person

Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw some spy shots of it also. The only thing that gets me is it has a shaft drive. It will be heavy when compared to the VFR800. I don't know about cylinder deactivation. I was on the R & D end of the GM deactivation projects and all I will say about that is I will NEVER own one of those vehicles.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say much on the engine, but I think it looks like a sweet ride.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Todd84
I don't know about cylinder deactivation. I was on the R & D end of the GM deactivation projects and all I will say about that is I will NEVER own one of those vehicles.
What, No Cadillac V8-6-4 for you? Those were a masterpiece!

The spy bike looks pretty mean. Less Starship Trooper Insect and more Darth Vader.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 PM

i think it's going to be a good competitor for the bmw k1300 series

it'll be a good sport tourer, but i really don't see it garnering the following off the busa/zx14 bc of the shaft drive and complexity of the v4 doesn't lend itself to heavy customization

Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It'll be a helluva lot better than the 1300 donkey Honda currently has in production..........
I understand there are three variants of the new1200, and not all are shaft drive, but I may be wrong.
Time will tell.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:03 AM

what's up with the guy in the spy shots with only boots gloves and a helmet on? No jacket, no riding pants, no race suit, on a "prototype" none the less.

As for the bike, I think it looks pretty good, the engine sounds awesome, but more complicated then it really needs to be. I think the cylinder deactivation is a little much, I mean come on we are on bikes, it's not like we only get 15 mpg. That and I live in a hilly mountain area so my bike is almost always under load. As for the shaft drive, I like the idea for the sport touring aspect for the fact it's almost maintenance free. I like my v4 shaft drive ride when it's not breaking because it's old, but what is the price of this bike going to be? Hopefully it will be sub 15k and closer to 10k.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by frozenpoet
what's up with the guy in the spy shots with only boots gloves and a helmet on? No jacket, no riding pants, no race suit, on a "prototype" none the less.

As for the bike, I think it looks pretty good, the engine sounds awesome, but more complicated then it really needs to be. I think the cylinder deactivation is a little much, I mean come on we are on bikes, it's not like we only get 15 mpg.
He's incognito. He doesn't want anyone to know he's a professional, so he won't get the bike noticed. Obviously it worked.

And I agree on the engine complexity angle. The simplest way to control your mileage is with your throttle hand.