Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The value of Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The value of Gear!

I haven't posted on here in a long time, I am still fairly new to Motorcycles. I have seen a lot of fellow Brothers and Sisters riding without gear. Or minimal cut rate gear due to price. I agree it's your choice, your life. I was on 95 in Deleware last night sitting in traffic to get onto route 1 south. Out of no where I hear a squeal of tires and boom! I watch as my bike goes forward and I fly to the left and roll on the ground!

I drag myself out of the center lane to avoid from being ran over. I had hit my head twice on the ground upon impact. I am thankful to God I am okay. I was rushed to the hospital cause of the pain and my left leg. I was released at 11 am this morning and besides a little road rash on my left elbow, and a cut on my left calf I am up and walking.

I wrote all that to say this, When buying my gear I kept hearing people say "you'll never need that", "That helmets too expensive" etc. etc. I am a firm believer in paying the extra if the quality is worth it, and it serves it's purpose. I wrote this in hope someone might read this and put forth the extra 100$ for that next level of gear! You never know you needed it till it's time!

Be Safe: Chris

Old 08-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Glad to hear you are ok, but sorry you got hit by someone.

I definitely know the value of gear, not just from having raced MX, but also from a couple of crashes. If not for gear, I probably would not be riding today, and definitely would have a pin in my left ankle instead of it healing well without surgery.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 PM

Glad to hear you're OK, Chris. +1 on the value of gear. So, how did the bike fare? Hopefully not much more damage than you sustained. Damn sure gets expensive quick. My f4i got backed into by a tow truck that was barely moving while I was at work one day. Snapped off one turn signal, a mirror, & scratched the muffler and upper & lower fairing. Honda dealer repair estimate was well over $3000. Insurance company said that due to the high mileage on my bike they would have to total it. Bike was only a year old at the time. Told them to F-themselves. Replaced the mirror, taped the t-signal together w/electricians tape and lived with the scratches. From 10 ft. away you can't even see the damage. Again, glad to hear you're not too badly damaged.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad you are ok, sorry to hear that! There is no excuse I feel not wearing gear. Companies like Icon have it low enough that everyone can afford gear. Then you have some people think they don't need it and are too cool. All you need is a bad wreck to sustain a head injury that possibley kill someone, we are not immortal. I know it is a choice and sorry to rant.
I "used to be" a pro Bmx'er, 2 head injuries and a 2 broken backs later. I have short-term memory loss because of head injuries. I SHOULD'VE BEEN WEARING GEAR! Doesn't take much for injuries or worse to be permement. Clearly I thought I was invincible, most people would say the same about me then too.

I am glad Chris you are all right.