Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

trying something out with customizing brakes....thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying something out with customizing brakes....thoughts?

so anyone who has read about my bike knows i am attempting to get all components black or red....that being said...the rear master cylinder on f4is is sort of a metalish color...i would like it black....disassmebling the master cylinder and everything to powdercoat is a PITA.....i could do it, but i am way too lazy...so here is what i am attempting to do...

i bought a spare rear master a bit ago in preparation for my brake job...i bought some black exterior enamel, oil based paint...i choose this because i have found that some spray paints tend to wear off with some cleaning chemicals and being that touching up the rear master cylinder where it's located will be tough, i wanted some a little more resilient....seeing as the stuff is oil based, i would think it would be tougher....

so i am painting it by hand which also allows me to control the look a little more than spraypaint....after i paint it black...i am going to shoot it with some automotive clear coat to further protect it (i figure it would be very resilient to automotive cleaners)....what i am hoping to yield is a gloss black rear master cylinder that will withstand grime and muck and easily cleaned...

right now with the powdercoated parts i have on the bike....the only thing that sticks out on the right side is that ugly master cylinder....

also....the reservoir for the MC is that yellowish clear color which is also ugly as sin...so i found some black tinting spray paint from testors that is used primarily for models...i am going to try and shoot the res with it to tint it black...1 or 2 coats should tint it enough to look black from a distance but maintain it clear enough to watch the fluid level...i am not concerned with being able to tell the color of the fluid as i can remove the cap to see, but just to be able to make sure the fluid level is okay when i check it....

hopefully i end up with a nice black MC with a tinted black res....i am then going to add my red spiegler brake lines with black banjo bolts on my calipers which are going to be powdercoated honda red....

if all goes according to plan, i should have a pretty slick looking brake system both front and back....

anyone have any thoughts on what i am doing or a way to do it a little better or anything to watch out for....i started painting the spare MC last night and i am pleasantly surprised with the results at the moment

for those of you who might care...here is the link to the tinting spray...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes2949.htm

Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Default RE: trying something out with customizing brakes....thoughts?

ORIGINAL: ffingers

so anyone who has read about my bike knows i am attempting to get all components black or red....that being said...the rear master cylinder on f4is is sort of a metalish color...i would like it black....disassmebling the master cylinder and everything to powdercoat is a PITA.....i could do it, but i am way too lazy...so here is what i am attempting to do...

i bought a spare rear master a bit ago in preparation for my brake job...i bought some black exterior enamel, oil based paint...i choose this because i have found that some spray paints tend to wear off with some cleaning chemicals and being that touching up the rear master cylinder where it's located will be tough, i wanted some a little more resilient....seeing as the stuff is oil based, i would think it would be tougher....

so i am painting it by hand which also allows me to control the look a little more than spraypaint....after i paint it black...i am going to shoot it with some automotive clear coat to further protect it (i figure it would be very resilient to automotive cleaners)....what i am hoping to yield is a gloss black rear master cylinder that will withstand grime and muck and easily cleaned...

right now with the powdercoated parts i have on the bike....the only thing that sticks out on the right side is that ugly master cylinder....

also....the reservoir for the MC is that yellowish clear color which is also ugly as sin...so i found some black tinting spray paint from testors that is used primarily for models...i am going to try and shoot the res with it to tint it black...1 or 2 coats should tint it enough to look black from a distance but maintain it clear enough to watch the fluid level...i am not concerned with being able to tell the color of the fluid as i can remove the cap to see, but just to be able to make sure the fluid level is okay when i check it....

hopefully i end up with a nice black MC with a tinted black res....i am then going to add my red spiegler brake lines with black banjo bolts on my calipers which are going to be powdercoated honda red....

if all goes according to plan, i should have a pretty slick looking brake system both front and back....

anyone have any thoughts on what i am doing or a way to do it a little better or anything to watch out for....i started painting the spare MC last night and i am pleasantly surprised with the results at the moment

for those of you who might care...here is the link to the tinting spray...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes2949.htm
have you thought of looking into teflon paints? virtually indestructable....well ok as far as chemical and grime wear goes and not too terribly expensive...

Old 10-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: trying something out with customizing brakes....thoughts?

haven't thought much about them....at this point, i am going to stick with the oil base enamels and the automotive clear coat which after looking up, is supposed to withstand most automotive cleaning chemicals....plus the rear MC is located behind the right heel guard, i don't have to worry about much friction on it rubbing off the clear....after i finish it, i am going to keep an eye on it and how well it holds up...if it starts to fail a bit, i may consider giving teflon paints a try....