Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Trying to be a quitter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to be a quitter.

So, I feel like riding my bike needs to be the most hazardous thing I do for my health which is why I'm trying my best to quit smoking.

Looking for advice and support.

Anyone else in the same boat?? Good luck to those that are-- I know I could use a little.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:01 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

try a hypnotic seminar, that how my wifeys mom quit lol

gl btw

Old 05-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by __Z__
try a hypnotic seminar, that how my wifeys mom quit lol

gl btw
Hahaha I can't believe this is the first reply. I was expecting chew gum, stay active... stuff like that.

Way to knock it outta the park on the first swing Z!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM

My mom has been a smoker for a very long time. she has tried the gum and patches and it didnt work. I think it comes down to will power really. my grandparents smoked for 30 some years and just decided to stop cold turkey.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get the patches - place them over your mouth. No more smoking!

Seriously though - good luck, smoking never seemed to "grab" me like it does others, even though I tried to be one of the cool kids in high school. My wife smokes - and dear lord I wish I could get her to quit, even if for no other reason than a pack of cigarettes costs more than a gallon of gas.

But she's trying to finish up her masters degree, and if she quit smoking right now, it would be hazardous to my health.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

good on you for quitting. a nasty habit.

Originally Posted by karl10250
My mom has been a smoker for a very long time. she has tried the gum and patches and it didnt work. I think it comes down to will power really. my grandparents smoked for 30 some years and just decided to stop cold turkey.
this falls along my 'experience' (I've never personally smoked) -- my family members who have quit did it this way. my grandma smoked for 60+ years, and then decided one day to put it away. didn't help much after 60 years; the damage is done, but at least she's still kickin'.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by regener8ed
this falls along my 'experience' (I've never personally smoked) -- my family members who have quit did it this way. my grandma smoked for 60+ years, and then decided one day to put it away. didn't help much after 60 years; the damage is done, but at least she's still kickin'.
Yeah I found the easiest way to stop smoking is not to start lol

Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i smoked for a few years. i dipped for a long time before that (ya i know, its gross), so i was really addicted to nicotine. i tried gradually quitting - that didn't do sh*t. i tried the gum/patches - that didn't do sh*t.

i was in a fraternity - most of my closest brothers smoked. my roommates smoked.

so i eventually thought i was stuck... i couldn't get away from it.

but i met my future wife, and one night when i came home late from a social smelling of smoke, she let me in on the fact that she was allergic to smoke and that we couldn't be together unless i quit. so i never smoked again. it really was that simple.

i remember that was on a thursday night, that friday, i packed up the bike and we went to her parents house for an extended weekend. so i got away from all my smoking friends for 4 days. i think thats why i was able to stick with it - because i got away from all that for the first few days that i quit.

after that - i kept telling myself "im not going to smoke now because then the last (however many) days that i have not been smoking was for nothing".

the only way to go is go cold turkey - suck it up, and do it. i know it sucks, but you can do it bro. just get on with it. you'll eventually feel better, you'll be able to taste and smell things that you had forgotten, and you won't get as easily aggitated.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just look at how much it costs. That's pretty good incentive to stop right there! ;-)

Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM

haha funny I am on my 3rd week off cigs. I love lighting one up but I did not like the fact that I had to have one every hour, and being dependent on something not due to my own choosing but out of habit.

didn't do a program but just quit cold.