Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Total bummer

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total bummer

I have been so hyped up since we got this bike, and now I want one of my own. I have a friend at school that I met last sememster and he has been riding around without his motorcycle endorsement. When I told him the fine for riding without it, I got him wanting to take the course. Since my husband has already taken his I suggested that David (my friend) take the course with me. I asked him today if he wanted to take it with me soon, only to find out that he registered for his course and takes it this Saturday! I called in a furry to see if there was an open spot.. nope. So if anyone has some cheese, I'd gladly take it right now.

But, on another note, another friend with a CBR 600 is going to let me practice more on his bike. Parking lots until I take my course and get my endorsement.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't be bummed. Take the class alone. It's less distraction without having someone you know there. Besides, riding motorcycles can get pretty lonely at times, even with other riders around you. Thats what i enjoy about it: no phones, texts, talking, or nagging spouses. Just me and the bike out in the fresh air! So get used to it right from the start.

If your husband hasn't been riding that long, and you want someone there, maybe he would take it again with you. practice makes perfect. If not, just go yourself and do it. Have fun! its something you want to do.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:13 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

To my understanding....if your pay $280-300 (Socal) for the course...once you complete course, they will send credit to DMV - department of motor vehicle, then you obtain your M1 license automatically.

Or...

you pay $15 take the written test... pass it & get a riders permit. With the riders permit youcan ride locally ( not Highway, no passenger, no night time riding) for 6 months - time frame to schedule you riding test with the DMV and once you pass, you've earn your M1 license. With the permit, you can ride your friends bike on the street ( not just parking lot )

Either way....getting your permit first gives you the flexibilty to ride more often......

If you want to spend $280-300 USD for the CHP course that helps you get your M1 license automatically, thats great! but if one do not want to waste that amount of money, they can study motorycle safety riding books, DVD, self learning programs. Some CBRF members here even offer to send free copies...

Learn at your own pace....

Originally Posted by TechGirl1414
I have been so hyped up since we got this bike, and now I want one of my own. I have a friend at school that I met last sememster and he has been riding around without his motorcycle endorsement. When I told him the fine for riding without it, I got him wanting to take the course. Since my husband has already taken his I suggested that David (my friend) take the course with me. I asked him today if he wanted to take it with me soon, only to find out that he registered for his course and takes it this Saturday! I called in a furry to see if there was an open spot.. nope. So if anyone has some cheese, I'd gladly take it right now.

But, on another note, another friend with a CBR 600 is going to let me practice more on his bike. Parking lots until I take my course and get my endorsement.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just spend a lot of parking lot time. Get something to mark a course (anything from
traffic cones to teddy-bears, you're NOT supposed to run over them, after all).
Everything you learn at parking lot speed will make you a better rider at higher speeds.

Practice figure-8's, L/R circles, and shlalom.

Another fun one. set a starting point. Then circle around acelerate to 25-30 (be
consistent) and as you pass the mark, stop as fast as you think you can. Have
someone put a marker at your stopping point. Now circle around, hit the same speed,
brakes again on your first mark and BEAT your second one. Just a little, then a little
more..until you really feel the bike start to complain. "Wow! Really I can stop that
quickly!?" ;-)

You'll be surprised, just how much taking baby-steps will improve your skill and confidence.
Also try it in combinations...rear-only, front-only, front/rear together.
Note the differences in the way the suspension reacts. All of this applies to the street.

The other thing about slow-speed practice, it's the range where the bike feels MOST
awkward. Get the ability to handle the bike well, at that pace and you're better than most other riders,
newbs or veteran.

It's also a blast if you compete with others, as well. Get hubby involved, I bet you'll surprise yourself,
with how much fun a empty lot can be.

Just be sure it's a big, empty lot and a well-swept area. I go up to the Tulsa Fairgrounds for my kicks.

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 10-12-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL...when I schedule to take my riding test at the DMV....yes...I got my license the hard way which cost a total of $15.

I practice figure eight, basketball keys....ditto...

The DMV instruction came out met me on the course & says...

You hit cones...failed!
Your foot down..failed!
Front tire out of line...failed!

And my test bike was a 900rr...

I said damn...WTF ...

So I went for it, knock down 2 cones, foot came down 2 time, tires came out of track 2 times....I basically fail the riding test...

Then surprisingly, the instructor says...go inside to window 2 and take your picture, congrats! You pass!!!!

I said WAT???

Then instructor walk to his next test exam, but before leaving, he says to me...

GO LAKERS!!!!!

It's the color of my bike & I had a Lakers Jacket on...

For reals....So don't feel sad or bummed out...if it happens it will happen no matter what!!!

Lol...

Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I know. I will get it done soon enough. As for here in FL, you pay 175-299 to take a Motorcycle Safety course which lasts a full two days. After completion of the course, and simple tests, they give you a certificate to take to the DMV and then you have to pay another $35 to get a new DL with the endorsment added. On the very bottom it says "motorcycle also." I was bummed about not getting to take the class this weekend mostly because my husband was off on Saturday, and my buddy's wife (who is taking the class) could of babysat on Sunday. My husband RARELY gets a weekend day off of work, so who knows when I'll have someone to watch all three kids for 2 days straight! lol

Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

don't be bummed you can't take it with your friends, i took the course (i'm in fl too) and everyone in my class was awesome. my wife took the class seperately, and she felt that everyone was great in her class as well.

you'll meet some good friends. but you really only talk in class. other than that you're on the bike by yourself.

you'll have fun, go get your license!