Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ticket for a smoked shield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ticket for a smoked shield?

My friend told me he was pulled over for having a tinted face shield on his helmet and he got a ticket, that was in WI. I work at a credit union and we have like 1/2 the towns police that are members here I'll ask one next time he comes in.

Mike

Old 09-12-2006, 06:40 PM

ALOT of people always think that i can't see with my Dark Smoke visor in general and think i am absoutley crazy to ride with it at night. Because they can't see your face at all. But at nights going through the city home from work i have no troubles and when i take the long way through the back roads with no street lights i just hit the brights and it's just fine....(not many people out when i get off 1-3a.m.)

Old 09-13-2006, 02:57 PM

Don't know if it's illegal - but I never feel safe with a tinted visor on when it's dark out. But that's just me. Sunglasses with a clear visor is the way I roll... unless I know that I won't be out after dark then I might put on my tinted visor.

Another option for you though - keep a pair of clear safety glasses in the storage compartment of your bike. You could put those on (at night) if you need to put the visor up due to low light conditions. Then you're not in violation of eye protection laws. Up to you... just an idea.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Thanks all!

Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM

Most helmets have a no-tool shield replacement mechanism, and shields can be replaced in like 5 seconds. Why not have a clear shield and a dark shield with you when you know the sun's going to go down? I keep an extra visor in my locker at work in a helmet bag. If I know I'm going to be leaving after dark, I'll just throw the clear one on really quick. If I know that I'm going to need both of them, I'll wear a backpack that day so I can have both of them just in case. Wearing sunglasses under a clear shield isn't such a safe idea. If you have to go down, the frame or lenses could break and damage (i.e. blind) your eyes permanently.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:56 AM

Here in CA there IS a law against riding at night with a tinted visor however there is no law against riding with eye protection. I bought my dark smoke visor with the intent of switching it between day and night but I just kept the smoke in all the time because I never ride with my visor down... unless its raining.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: CBRCorey

Here in CA there IS a law against riding at night with a tinted visor however there is no law against riding with eye protection. I bought my dark smoke visor with the intent of switching it between day and night but I just kept the smoke in all the time because I never ride with my visor down... unless its raining.
So do you just ride around town and pose? Cause anyone who takes it over 70mph would put there visor down.......

Old 09-14-2006, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: HighRevver

ORIGINAL: CBRCorey

So do you just ride around town and pose? Cause anyone who takes it over 70mph would put there visor down.......
Heck I don't like going over 30-35 with the visor up it makes me 'cry'.

Mike

Old 09-15-2006, 03:16 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

^^^+1 ^^^ also not just the watery eyes but also when your going fast and all the air hittign you its like siticking your head outta window when your in a car .. if that makes sense to anybody but me (shhh im tired lol)

Old 09-15-2006, 04:10 AM

Everyone has a special talent and mine is that I can go fast without crying. I've been 140 with my visor up completely unbothered, it just depends on where you sit in the air stream. If it's a windy day then there will be a lot of dust out and the visor goes down but otherwise I'm good.