Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Thearapy

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thearapy

I had to go through mandatory counseling for work a few times. It helped a little to see that I wasn't the only one going through it. Your situation sounds a little different though. Therapy might help because you have another persons opinion thrown into the mix, sometimes a different perspective clears things up. If the causes run deeper than what you realize then a therapist is in a better position to do you some good.

For me personally, my therapy sessions happen whenever I get on my bike and ride, it helps get the cobwebs out. Just me, the bike, some twisties, throw in a few wheelies for good measure, and I'm ready to face all the crap. Finding some sort of out would be good. Something that will push the pressure release valve.

I think you're on the right track. Asking for help, no matter where or who from is always a good thing.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:14 AM

Or man up. Someones gotta say it. Yeah, school is stressful. But i go to school full time and work 50+ hours a week at a job i HATE! And im only 18 years old. Things could be worse. Just look at the good in your life and know thats why you keep going.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:21 AM
VP

ORIGINAL: jdschmidt

Or man up. Someones gotta say it. Yeah, school is stressful. But i go to school full time and work 50+ hours a week at a job i HATE! And im only 18 years old. Things could be worse. Just look at the good in your life and know thats why you keep going.
Easily the worst advice I've read so far. You are 18 years old. I've got two words for you: just wait. Take a look at all the stressed out people in their 30s and 40s who decided the best thing was not to deal with their problems. Dealing with issues is how you deal with issues, you don't burry it inside and tell yourself you're just overreacting. When your body tells you something is wrong you need to adjust, it's a built in mechanism intended to protect you.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Retired Super Moderator

Hey nauree, you don't know me, and i'm being perfectly honest in saying if you need someone to vent to with no opinions or repercussions, call me. Seriously-PM is on the way with my number.

-Adam

Old 09-20-2008, 03:15 PM

I am also against medicines they just ruin your immune system and delays the solution of the problems.

Like voodoo said, those people are professionals and it will help getting the advice of a professional since they know you and how your body works. Nobody borns with a manual. If you can not afford it, I would recommend that you should talk to your advisor. There are professional groups who help people their community. For example, I contribute with the works of a club where we do regular eye exams for free couple times a year in my community. Your advisor should know.

If you like books, I can recommend self-improvement books. There are lots of good books you can read that are specific about your situation and you can learn how to overcome those issues you have. We think we know everything but trust me I am almost 30 right now, and I am still learning everyday.

To avoid stress in my life, I exercise. You don't have to have a membership from a gym. You can go out and run for 30 minutes everyday and you will feel way stronger. It is a fact that your physical health effects your mental strength period. I would also recommend that you should pay attention to what you eat because it increases the stress level in your life but I know that its hard to change eating habbits. Try to keep it healthy when you are under pressure, avoid sugar.

Somebody mentioned about meditation, thats also a option. My friend became a different person after he started to take yoga classes. Well, even I don't like stereotypes, I was a stereotype about this issue since its only girls I see bending over, laying on the ground etc. But his teacher offered me this free class and she was hot I mean that was my ultimate reason. I went to the class and I don't remember myself sweating that much in my life and I couldn't really do every move they did. They look so simple but trust me it is not. If you think though enough then try one session in your local community. Well, it still is not my interest, I like running better. So just do some exercise you like is the bottom line. Otherwise that stress will build up and will effect your decision making in the future.

Edit: Also try this website. It has good tips: http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-...nt/default.htm

Old 09-20-2008, 06:05 PM

I run and and lift weights. Research has shown that exercise has the same effect as any perscription medicine in dealing with the effects of stress and depression.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:53 PM

Diff strokes for diff folks.

Some people can handle a LOT more then others. I say i been through it all, never been to therapy. Worked through highschool and college full time, managed relationships, and life, along with catastrophes. Hell i saw my mom smear her brains on the wall wheni was 9. There isn't an easy answer here. Man up and deal with it could be the answer, or go to therapy and talk it out could be the answer. Find what works for you bro, take obstacles one at a time and never push a probelm under the carpet. .02

I lift weights, makes me feel good about myself. Sometimes i even reward myself with a small vacation or some shopping or something along those lines. Sometime everyone needs a break.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 PM

i kinda like the meds really helps if you wash them down with a few cold beers

Old 09-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was about 18, my mother was very ill, I was working in the State library at the time, apart from my mother being sick & also had a lot of other issues (so I thought) So because I was a total ***** at work & I was also away a lot, they sent me to see a shrink, at 1st I thought it was all a bit of a joke, they gave me time off work & even traveling money to get there.
Shrink just let me talk at 1st, asked the occasional question, odd thing happened, I started to relax a bit with this guy & went from one sentence answers to really letting go. About a month into the sessions, he starts directing me towards other issues, which if asked by anyone else would get them a punch in the face. It was a big relief just to be able to talk about them finally.
Therapy is more than voicing your concerns, its kind of like deleting the files in your recycle folder, but stay away from the chemical cures if you can.