Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Texting and driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013 | 09:50 AM

Well the lack of paying attention to the road itself is what makes texting and driving so dangerous, not necessarily texting and driving.
Some people are way too stupid about it, and they don't have their priorities straight; never has 'not paying attention to the road' ended well when driving a 3500lb piece of metal travelling at highway speeds.
On the RARE occasions that I text and drive, I will glance down quickly, type one MAYBE two letters, look back up at the road, scan the area, then back down to type one to two more letters.
I do it very slowly and I still ensure that paying attention to the road and operating the vehicle remains my highest priority.

Old 02-12-2013 | 03:23 PM

If I have an important call that I have to take, I think it should be alright to take it if I could do so if:
1: not driving in traffic
&
2: if the call is going to be very short
So basically, if it is safe to do so, if very quick and on a not too mentally demanding road.

Texting on the other hand: a person should just lose their license for a minimum of 5 years!
Texting requires more attention, requires more vision (more time not looking at the road), emergencies warrant making a call (therefore, texts are non-emergency communications).
Texting should be handled as reckless driving (and reckless driving is a harsh ticket!)

Old 02-12-2013 | 03:44 PM
|

http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.c...driving-stats/

stats don't lie. Everyone should take a quick look at this

Old 02-12-2013 | 04:55 PM

I text and drive on my personal constantly... but I use Dragon Handsfree Assistant (Android Siri competitor) which in driving mode reads incoming texts to me and allows voice replies.

Work cell I get trouble cause I ignore texts, driving or not

Old 02-13-2013 | 05:08 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Douglar
Texting and Driving Statistics

stats don't lie. Everyone should take a quick look at this

That is indeed a sobering thought Douglar

Unfortunately as more teens (who are so used to a world of instant communication and gratification of their Facebook status) I can only see the problem getting worse.

As phones get more clever we will see the youngsters coming through, not just texting while they're driving, but playing "Angry Birds" and updating their relationship status on Facebook while they're driving.

Interestingly, just earlier this evening I witnessed (what I assume was a tourist to this country) drive three blocks on the wrong side of the road, whilst also chatting to his mates on his cell.

I just went real slow, and hung back as far as I could.

Old 02-13-2013 | 05:35 AM
|
Talking

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
That is indeed a sobering thought Douglar

Unfortunately as more teens (who are so used to a world of instant communication and gratification of their Facebook status) I can only see the problem getting worse.

As phones get more clever we will see the youngsters coming through, not just texting while they're driving, but playing "Angry Birds" and updating their relationship status on Facebook while they're driving.

Interestingly, just earlier this evening I witnessed (what I assume was a tourist to this country) drive three blocks on the wrong side of the road, whilst also chatting to his mates on his cell.

I just went real slow, and hung back as far as I could.
Prob just one of us ignorant Americans lol

Old 02-13-2013 | 09:21 AM

I've heard the football field statistic once and that was enough to scare me.

I'm guilty of texting at stoplights. But I'm notorious for not returning any of my friend's texts whenever I'm on the road. They hate it!

Old 02-14-2013 | 04:37 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by kevin...who?
I'm guilty of texting at stoplights. But I'm notorious for not returning any of my friend's texts whenever I'm on the road. They hate it!
They should learn to get over it, bike time is precious solitary time. When they have a hobby that is as enveloping and demanding as riding an old bike fast, then they will understand.

Old 02-14-2013 | 07:30 AM

They actually proved that texting while driving is more dangerous than drunk driving.

So set down your phones and pick up that beer