Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Texting and driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013 | 05:34 PM
|
Default Texting and driving

Pisses me off the amount of people I see doing this while I'm riding. They are paying any attention. I could prob ride right up to them and kick their mirror off and they wouldn't know.

Old 02-11-2013 | 03:27 AM

I know what you mean, but i've been guilty of doing this.

Im a sales guy and sometimes i can spend 6 hours a day driving around in my car and when im in the car, my phone becomes my computer! all my emails, texts, meeting arrangements everything come to the phone.
when i talk on the phone i have a bluetooth in car thingy so i dont hold it to my ear, but if im on the road and a client emails me something urgent, if i need to, ill reply, i try to do it as little as possible and because i ride a bike i think if anything, i become over cautious, i check my mirrors alot more and it can take me a few minutes to send a couple of lines cause ill only do it when there is no other vehicles around me just incase something does wrong it'll only be me that gets hurt.

so i do understand its dangerous, i know i shouldn't do it, and if i got stopped by the po po i wouldnt contest it at all. But i cant pull over every time i need to send a very short message, it just isnt practical.

Old 02-11-2013 | 04:16 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Sorry, but that really doesn't work for me, it is totally illegal in this country (as is using a non-handsfree cell phone whilst driving).

Is any message from a client really that important that they would expect you to put your life and the life of other road users at risk just so that they get a prompt reply?

Take control back of your own life, don't let the cell phone rule it, it's supposed to be a tool, not a master.

Alternatively here's a plan :

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Get some unemployed drongo and stick him/her in the passenger seat and get them to deal with the texts and emails under your instruction while you're driving. You could probably sell that to your employer as a "Health and Safety issue", that usually gets their attention

Last edited by kiwi TK; 02-11-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2013 | 07:32 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

Originally Posted by kiwi TK

Get some unemployed drongo and stick him/her in the passenger seat and get them to deal with the texts and emails under your instruction while you're driving. You could probably sell that to your employer as a "Health and Safety issue", that usually gets their attention
HAHAHA YES!

i hate all the people texting and driving too.

but i especially hate this. it's for the ipad

Old 02-11-2013 | 10:02 AM

In England, you can use any device as long as it attached to the car, e idea is the same as a stereo. You can change the track or station on the radio whilst your driving, same as a phone, if its in a cradle you can do it.

Old 02-11-2013 | 11:43 AM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by richbransby
In England, you can use any device as long as it attached to the car, e idea is the same as a stereo. You can change the track or station on the radio whilst your driving, same as a phone, if its in a cradle you can do it.
I'm surprised the nanny state hasn't gone the way we have here. No handheld devices used in the car whatsoever. Even at a red light. Bluetooth is ok, but texting, gps etc. are no dice. Learners/novice drivers can't use and device period. I was sitting in a jam yesterday and the police were on bicycling up and down traffic and writing tix to people who were texting while sitting there not moving, likely telling whomever they were going to be late for dinner!

Personally, I think its a great law. I almost got swiped in my cage from a girl no older than 20 texting away, 2 hands on the phone, knee on the wheel. I gave her a trumpet call but she didn't even notice... I then realized her iphone or whatever was plugged into her ears too

Old 02-11-2013 | 12:55 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Get some unemployed drongo and stick him/her in the passenger seat and get them to deal with the texts and emails under your instruction while you're driving.
Screw that, have him drive you around.

Old 02-11-2013 | 04:08 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
I'm surprised the nanny state hasn't gone the way we have here. No handheld devices used in the car whatsoever. Even at a red light. Bluetooth is ok, but texting, gps etc. are no dice. Learners/novice drivers can't use and device period. I was sitting in a jam yesterday and the police were on bicycling up and down traffic and writing tix to people who were texting while sitting there not moving, likely telling whomever they were going to be late for dinner!

Personally, I think its a great law. I almost got swiped in my cage from a girl no older than 20 texting away, 2 hands on the phone, knee on the wheel. I gave her a trumpet call but she didn't even notice... I then realized her iphone or whatever was plugged into her ears too
me too, you can't have different motorcycle tires other than the original kind, but you can watch a video while driving so long as your ipod is in it's cradle?

i don't see why a police officer who witnesses this can't pull someone over and hand out a reckless driving ticket.

because that's exactly what this is. reckless driving. no need for a new law. enforce the ones we have!

Old 02-11-2013 | 11:21 PM
|

punishment for texting and driving should be broken thumbs

Old 02-12-2013 | 05:19 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by CJardine
Screw that, have him drive you around.

No, driving is way better fun than texting.

Quick Reply: Texting and driving