Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

stealing wifi signal, good, bad???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stealing wifi signal, good, bad???

^^^ your logic is flawed. It would be as if someone is broadcasting a private radio channel. If they broadcast it over a normal frequency and you pick it up, it would be perfectly legal to listen to it. WIFI is the same way. It is not tangible property so you can not compare it to useing a motorcycle.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: ChanCBR

^^^ your logic is flawed. It would be as if someone is broadcasting a private radio channel. If they broadcast it over a normal frequency and you pick it up, it would be perfectly legal to listen to it. WIFI is the same way. It is not tangible property so you can not compare it to useing a motorcycle.
I second this

Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Retired Admin

Ok it's a tough call in the long run.....Ultimatly the COURTS have determined it is NOT an illegal activity. If the band is being broadcast through the local waves and your connection allows a connection you are NOT violating any policy's by using the network. However there are issues with it.

#1. They may not know how to secure the site although multiple draws on a link will decrease the signal they get, however it would take alot of PC's to really see a difference. and the courts have decided ignorance is not your problem.

#2. Even with this it is your desicion and personally I would have issues with guilt if it was a regular thing with a neighbor's signal. However I have found myself linking up to any open source when traveling.

#3. They may very well be monitoring the network and DO have the ability to monitor your activity if they know how if you are using their open source and link to the web. Be careful with that. However you can protect your surfing with software and firewalls. This will prevent them from seeing you. It is called cloaking your system.

Personally I run a high speed G source from my home and leave it open on purpose to allow my neighbors to use my signal if they so choose. We are friendly like that and do things for each other. But know your neighbors and their intentions because they are using my IP address and that links to me from wherever they go.

So it is up to you....But it is not illegal as proposed by the courts....

Old 03-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

Do it until someone asks you to stop. But wouldn't it be funny if the guy you are stealing it from is using his computer for some aweful purpose like dealing in child **** and your house gets raided because you are on the network....even though you are innocent, they'll confiscate all your crap for years. Maybe that ain't so funny.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 PM

^^ yea for sure. that is why you should always secure your own. It is not hard at all as long as you can read. Instructions come with every router on how to do it.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:01 PM

I would get pretty mad if I found out somebody was stealing mine. [sm=shootshoot.gif] I have a PW on mine though.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 AM

ok, enough about whether or not its illegal...somebody tell me how to crack that lil code that is keepin me out of my neighbors wifi. im broke and want the net at my house and i doubt the old people in my neighborhood would even notice.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:52 AM

If it is not secure, most likely it is not being used by someone who has the capability to know if someone is on their network. I say use it.... On my cell (i'm sure you can get this on a laptop too) I have an app that can pinpoint within several feet of where a wireless signal is coming from. Comes in handy sometimes....

Old 03-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Retired Moderator

I have wifi at home and it is unsecure. I guess I never really thought about it much. If someone gets on it, I don't care...I have to pay for it anyway, and I think qwest (my provider)is pounding me with no lube anyway ($$$). Now, if itis a true security issue, I will lock that bastard up tight. Before I got my aircard for my work laptop, I used to go around to the motels, or the college, or wherever I could find a hotspot, and use the signal. Absolutely innocent stuff.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:15 PM

stealing...bad

Quick Reply: stealing wifi signal, good, bad???