Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sold!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GAP on a personal loan ?

"but since it is a personal loan I'd take for the bike I could put it down to liability which would only cost $500/year."

Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
Hey Bud try State Farm - another option is to run it in under your parents policies
with whatever ins outfit they use - get the multi vehicle discounts etc.

If you have a loan on it, private or commercial, - cover the value of the bike with
insurance - you don't want to be left paying out on a bike that gets stolen crashed
or junked etc.
Well, my mom isn't exactly uh...on board with me getting a bigger bike. But she didn't tell me until after I sold my 250R...thanks mom.

So I doubt she'll help me out on the insurance bit. My dad only has one vehicle which is on his companies business insurance (he owns a timberframe home building company). My car is however insured under him so maybe I'll put this under him too. I'll look into it.

I will also look at State Farm, Geico (never been cheap before though), Allstate, etc...

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Yeah it's called gap insurance. The dealer should offer it. I think in some states it's required by law.

They had to offer it to me even though it'd be impossible to be upside down on the amount I owe on Yolie.
I'm not financing at the dealer and the loan is a personal loan, so technically I don't need to run any more than liability on the bike, but I do want to get something so that if it gets stolen or crashed it can be replaced...but the cost is...ahhhh

Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Its an expensive hobby man especially getting into the newer models... I love my F4i... Not technically a super sport so my insurance is able to be dropped

Bought my bike private and its cost me heavily to replace everything my brother didn't find went he picked it up... If your gunna buy private make sure you get a 30 day bill of sale so you can take it to a shop and have them do a diagnostic on it

Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Halzinky
Its an expensive hobby man especially getting into the newer models... I love my F4i... Not technically a super sport so my insurance is able to be dropped

Bought my bike private and its cost me heavily to replace everything my brother didn't find went he picked it up... If your gunna buy private make sure you get a 30 day bill of sale so you can take it to a shop and have them do a diagnostic on it
I don't plan to buy used. Hence why I'm looking at 2013s

But yes, when I bought my 600 I had a good friend of mine come who knows a lot about bikes and right now is becoming a motorcycle mechanic haha, but I wasn't really worried with the bike since it ran fine and what I traded for it was worthless (to me at least).

I'm going to look at the Ducatis and KTMs today. Luckily the dealer here sells both, as well as Hondas and Kawis and maybe Suzukis too lol

Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 AM

Just my two cents worth man but, don't bother buying brand new. Sure, you get that brand new feeling, bragging rights and complete peace of mind from a fresh warranty but, the amount of money you lose compared to buying used is just ridiculous.

I bought my '03 Toyota Celica GT-S brand new ten years ago and looking back on it, for what I paid I could've bought a much nicer, better performing car for that price or less. I was 19 at the time and had the money so, it didn't even phase me.

Perhaps consider at least looking at a bike that's a year or two old, just to save yourself some cash. You'd still have a nice new'ish bike, and with the left over cash you wouldn't have to worry about insurance cost for the first year (use the difference you'd spend on a brand new bike) and, you could get some mods be it cosmetic or performance, upgrade your riding gear if needed be or, just have some back up cash in case you need it for something.

Again, just my two cents man. If I had the cash to afford a new vehicle be it bike or car, I'd go used. Either way, enjoy what ever you get! Love the Ducati's myself but, have fun with the eventual repair and maintenance bill..would love to own a 696 myself.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nekronaut
Just my two cents worth man but, don't bother buying brand new. Sure, you get that brand new feeling, bragging rights and complete peace of mind from a fresh warranty but, the amount of money you lose compared to buying used is just ridiculous.

I bought my '03 Toyota Celica GT-S brand new ten years ago and looking back on it, for what I paid I could've bought a much nicer, better performing car for that price or less. I was 19 at the time and had the money so, it didn't even phase me.

Perhaps consider at least looking at a bike that's a year or two old, just to save yourself some cash. You'd still have a nice new'ish bike, and with the left over cash you wouldn't have to worry about insurance cost for the first year (use the difference you'd spend on a brand new bike) and, you could get some mods be it cosmetic or performance, upgrade your riding gear if needed be or, just have some back up cash in case you need it for something.

Again, just my two cents man. If I had the cash to afford a new vehicle be it bike or car, I'd go used. Either way, enjoy what ever you get! Love the Ducati's myself but, have fun with the eventual repair and maintenance bill..would love to own a 696 myself.
Well, the new bike has a lot of new things going for it. It's a redesign of the bike, the new motor which is supposed to be more reliable and has longer service intervals, plus it's a bike I want to keep for years to come so buying new (at least for this bike) is the only way to go in my opinion. I don't think I'll be modding the bike anytime soon since it already has loads of power and the only appearance mod I'd consider is a fender eliminator, and then maybe an exhaust down the road to get better sound/a bit more power. I talked with the dealer about an extended 4-5 year warranty as well just in case something goes south I also have all new (besides the jacket which is still mint) riding gear that's all leather and a Shoei lid...so no need to update there

It was funny though, I was talking to the salesmen about the bike and found out that the bike won't be available until early April from dealers so I guess I have to wait for now (same with the Duke though). I did however leave with a job application

Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
GAP on a personal loan ?

"but since it is a personal loan I'd take for the bike I could put it down to liability which would only cost $500/year."
Dunno about on a personal loan. Pretty sure it can still be done. Hell, insurance companies love trading nothing for money.

The gap should be pretty minimal on the bikes he's talking about tho. Even if I had put nothing down and fully financed Yolie, her actual value is only like $1k-$2k less than her full price. So I'm pretty sure someone would have loved to have me paying them monthly while their potential liability would be so small.

I would ask the dealer if it's possible

Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Dunno about on a personal loan. Pretty sure it can still be done. Hell, insurance companies love trading nothing for money.

The gap should be pretty minimal on the bikes he's talking about tho. Even if I had put nothing down and fully financed Yolie, her actual value is only like $1k-$2k less than her full price. So I'm pretty sure someone would have loved to have me paying them monthly while their potential liability would be so small.

I would ask the dealer if it's possible
Yeah, I can still get it through a company, just not sure what route I'm going with my insurance yet

Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
Well, the new bike has a lot of new things going for it. It's a redesign of the bike, the new motor which is supposed to be more reliable and has longer service intervals, plus it's a bike I want to keep for years to come so buying new (at least for this bike) is the only way to go in my opinion. I don't think I'll be modding the bike anytime soon since it already has loads of power and the only appearance mod I'd consider is a fender eliminator, and then maybe an exhaust down the road to get better sound/a bit more power. I talked with the dealer about an extended 4-5 year warranty as well just in case something goes south I also have all new (besides the jacket which is still mint) riding gear that's all leather and a Shoei lid...so no need to update there

It was funny though, I was talking to the salesmen about the bike and found out that the bike won't be available until early April from dealers so I guess I have to wait for now (same with the Duke though). I did however leave with a job application
Fair enough man, sounds like you have some thought put into this. At least it's only a $10k bike and not a $30k+ car lol. Ha, how sweet would that be to work at a bike dealership, little alone one that sells Ducati.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nekronaut
Fair enough man, sounds like you have some thought put into this. At least it's only a $10k bike and not a $30k+ car lol. Ha, how sweet would that be to work at a bike dealership, little alone one that sells Ducati.
It would be awesome!

They sell Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Husaberg, Ducati, and Kawasaki. Which is quite a lot for a single dealer.