Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

So a guy pulls up behind me on my ride home...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So a guy pulls up behind me on my ride home...

...on a black 600RR. I had seen him rolling up to a intersection where I had the right of way to make my turn first.

End of the street sitting @ a redlight, and he rolls up. I had moved over to give him enough room to slide up and share the lane if he wanted. He didn't and it was a long light, so I turn and yell something to him about the freakin heat. (102* here today - 80% humidity) He rolls up and mentions how hot his legs are.

Anyways, light turns green and we roll through and he drops back a hundred yards or so. I'm following traffic, but the road gets a little twisty up ahead for about 3 nice turns. I let off to get some separation and he gets closer to me. The turns start and I roll through them with enough lean angle to make it fun. I'm talking 45mph on a 30mph road - nothing really daredevilish, but cars can't roll through this little snaky section at that speed.

Guy fell back , but we're now on a long straight that backs up with traffic. Stopped, he rolls up next to me and starts trying to have a conversation.

We all know that 2 sportbikes idling next to each other pretty much make conversation impossible, especially if we're wearing fullface helmets and can't read lips. He's making some motion with his hand that I think is him asking me if I can ride a wheelie. I'm like "nah man - I'm not really into stunting." Actually I don't mind it if the front end comes up, I just don't do tricks for show, ya know? Too easy to end up on youtube or some ****.

Anyway as we roll up to the light he motions me over to the gas station lot on the corner. I pull up and pull the lid off and talk for a sec.

I only have one sportbike riding buddy, so I figure if this guy knows any local riders, maybe he can clue me in.

As we talk, I'm looking his RR over - '07, bone stock, not stretched or lowered. Generally just kinda dirty - not the "needs a washing" kinda look - more of the "I don't ever wash or maintain anything" look.

Also I notice his rear tire - if you took the chicken strips and measured them, they would be wider than the section of tire that is actually ridden on. Surely a 180 isn't that hard to get leaned over - my 160 has barely over a centimeter on each edge that isn't ridden on, and I don't feel like I corner that hard.

He mentions he's got a couple of guys that make runs on Sundays to a town about 60 miles away. I asked if they have a nice backroad route to get down there that has some curves to it. He says no- we usually do about 80-90 on the highway. (this explains the rear tire, I guess).

So we exchange numbers at least , he said for me to give him a call Sunday if I wanna ride.

Is it bad that I really don't have any desire to hook up with his crew based on what I see?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 PM
    Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He might be the squid of the bunch and you can always give them pointers or send them here for help if you aren't comfortable doing it. They would probably like to know how to ride better. Very few people buy a bike and don't want to know how to ride it... if you need riding partners, take the opportunity to make some!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:25 AM
    July 2008 ROTM

Nothing wrong with riding with people that share your style. I avoid riding with some people because they're more about triple digit antics than take your time back road fun.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:58 AM

Sounds like a love connection in the making

Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 AM
    Sprocket Hauler and Savior

The worst you could do is waste a sunday and spend some time on the bike. If you end up not hooking up then so be it. I gambled on my first group of riders in GA and turned out we had more in common then i thought.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 PM
    Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant knock it till you try it man. I took a gamble with my first group and left 1/4 of the way into the ride. I only ride with 3 people now and thats cause we all have an IQ over 30. haha

Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 PM
    Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've given up on trying to find people to ride with around this area. They're all too fast for me to keep up so I just hope that I find riders on the highway that I can play cat n' mouse with for a few exits. I figure I'll be riding with plenty of other riders once I have the cash for some track days.