Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Biker got beat up on the freeway!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Biker got beat up on the freeway!

(The report is in Dutch so I'm going to translate and paraphrase a bit.)

A 30 year old -off duty- police officer was on his personal (non police) motorcycle on the freeway around 11PM this last Saturday night. He at one point overtook a car (Opel Astra) and when he switched back to the right lane the car in turn overtook him. The biker merged onto a different highway and saw that the car (still in font) switched lanes at the very last moment to follow him. Shortly after, a black Audi A3 overtook him on the right and swerved to the left (when he was next to the biker) causing the biker to firmly step on the brakes.

They exchanged hand gestures and the car stayed close for quite some time making the biker feel threatened.
As soon as the biker tried to pull away the Opel suddenly appeared in front of him, forcing him to brake forcefully once again. He then saw an opportunity to escape, took the first exit off the highway where he was boxed in by the cars and was forced to stop.

Six men got out of the car and proceeded to hit the biker on the helmet, stomach and legs causing him to fall off of the bike. Once on the ground the 6 men repeatedly kicked and punched the biker. The report states that during the beating, the biker had told the men that he was a police officer but it didn't seem to change their actions. At one point the men walked off and one came back to verbally threaten the biker. Once the men got in their cars and took off the biker was able to call the police.

The biker was taken to hospital and was treated for his injuries (bruised ribs and other bruises all over his body).

Around 04:00 am a 22 year old man was stopped in an Audi (the biker had been able to give a license plate number to the authorities) in front of his home. He was alone. The investigation is still ongoing.

Sounds quite messed up to me. I had someone jump out of a car (I honked because the car overtook me mid corner when taking a left turn) but nothing happened. He got called back in by the driver and they sped off, weaving in and out of traffic like bunch of retards until they saw a cop car. I told the officer that was driving the cop car that the people in the white Audi were driving like ****ing maniacs and he stopped them.

Anyway, what's your take on this? I know a bunch of you carry on the bike so it might have been very different situation if this happened to you. Then again, I'm sure many car drivers carry too. Gun laws in the Netherlands are very strict so it doesn't surprise me at all that the officer didn't have his firearm on him. Even if he did, I would still have been very surprised if he had used it, or at least have pulled it out.

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 06-01-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
(The report is in Dutch so I'm going to translate and paraphrase a bit.)

A 30 year old -off duty- police officer was on his personal (non police) motorcycle on the freeway around 11PM this last Saturday night. He at one point overtook a car (Opel Astra) and when he switched back to the right lane the car in turn overtook him. The biker merged onto a different highway and saw that the car (still in font) switched lanes at the very last moment to follow him. Shortly after, a black Audi A3 overtook him on the right and swerved to the left (when he was next to the biker) causing the biker to firmly step on the brakes.

They exchanged hand gestures and the car stayed close for quite some time making the biker feel threatened.
As soon as the biker tried to pull away the Opel suddenly appeared in front of him, forcing him to brake forcefully once again. He then saw an opportunity to escape, took the first exit off the highway where he was boxed in by the cars and was forced to stop.

Six men got out of the car and proceeded to hit the biker on the helmet, stomach and legs causing him to fall off of the bike. Once on the ground the 6 men repeatedly kicked and punched the biker. The report states that during the beating, the biker had told the men that he was a police officer but it didn't seem to change their actions. At one point the men walked off and one came back to verbally threaten the biker. Once the men got in their cars and took off the biker was able to call the police.

The biker was taken to hospital and was treated for his injuries (bruised ribs and other bruises all over his body).

Around 04:00 am a 22 year old man was stopped in an Audi (the biker had been able to give a license plate number to the authorities) in front of his home. He was alone. The investigation is still ongoing.

Sounds quite messed up to me. I had someone jump out of a car (I honked because the car overtook me mid corner when taking a left turn) but nothing happened. He got called back in by the driver and they sped off, weaving in and out of traffic like bunch of retards until they saw a cop car. I told the officer that was driving the cop car that the people in the white Audi were driving like ****ing maniacs and he stopped them.

Anyway, what's your take on this? I know a bunch of you carry on the bike so it might have been very different situation if this happened to you. Then again, I'm sure many car drivers carry too. Gun laws in the Netherlands are very strict so it doesn't surprise me at all that the officer didn't have his firearm on him. Even if he did, I would still have been very surprised if he had used it, or at least have pulled it out.
Man thats really horrible. If it were to happen to me i would start weaving through cars first to get away. If at that point i still couldnt get away i would then draw my weapon. If they kept coming i feel sorry for them.

Police officers from here are encouraged to carry there weapon while off duty.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Man thats really horrible. If it were to happen to me i would start weaving through cars first to get away. If at that point i still couldnt get away i would then draw my weapon. If they kept coming i feel sorry for them.

Police officers from here are encouraged to carry there weapon while off duty.
I'm assuming the officer had some kind of enduro (BMW GS) or sports tourer bike and not a super- or hyper sport bike (based on what I've seen the off duty and undercover officers generally ride) because if he did, he had quite easily been able to get away (though his function probably also deterred him from speeding like a mad man to get away). I just Googled some car stats and the cars involved (depending on the exact model) have between 100 and 150 bhp (the top of the line having 200 and some change) so in any case he should have been able to speed off.

Depending on the road you are on and the direction you are going, the highways are pretty quiet on Saturday nights so weaving in and out of traffic might not have been an option. I wonder how much space he had when they boxed him in because I would be inclined to go back up the exit a bit and wait there. I also have a Scala rider connected to my iPhone (mounted on the windscreen) with which I could place an emergency call within seconds. I live in the city and on Friday and Saturday nights there are a lot of cop cars (well more than usual) patrolling the area because of the clubs situated in or near the city center.

Has anybody here had a similar experience where people actually tried to push you off the road and/or get out the vehicle?

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 06-01-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a random beating - seems like it was pretty well orchestrated. Either a bunch of hooligans looking for someone to beat up, or this guy was targeted for a reason.

the wife's been on me to get us in a CCW class. I'm feeling more and more that I need a pair of his & hers H&K compact USP's.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pack animal mentality. Road rage is stupid

One time, a huge polynesian guy wanted to beef with me (in the car) just because I was making the right turn and he was making the left turn into the same street and I just looked at his car to make sure he doesn't hit me.

You just never know what will trigger them to react.

I never had road rage experience with my bike yet.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 AM

I guess I can understand. I drove a car today and I was pretty pissed off that I wasn't on a bike, but I had to make deliveries so what could I do?

This article enrages me. I've long since made peace with the fact that car drivers simply don't see bikes until they're passed up and they get all cross about it because the sound of a bike warrants rage (or so it seems around here). However, when people in cars go out of their way to give riders a hard time... ARGH!!! The more I think about it the more I want to throw this keyboard through this monitor. On top of all that it's 6 raging pussies who decide to beat down on this one guy for what? Because he just got ahead one place in the line?

And I don't care, if I notice a car behaving in any kind of threatening manner, I distance myself from that car as much as possible. That includes speeding up to extra-legal speeds to pass a bumbling idiot who's more concerned about that burrito or text message than the fact that s/he is swerving back and forth or even slowing down and hitting the middle/right lane to let someone in their Acura Legend who seems just a little to excited that a bike is around to disappear and show me just how much "faster" s/he is than me or even someone who hits the brakes a little more than I feel is necessary.

GRAHHH INTERNET RAGE I WISH I WAS THE HULK SO I COULD SMASH CAGER FACE FROM HERE TO CHINA AND PILLAGE CELL PHONE FACTORIES!!!! This may also be a lack of sleep talking.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 AM

A month ago or so I was on my way back home from a little day trip and I was on the highway. My phone/GPS warned me about a speedcamera up ahead but I had to overtake a car that was going way too slow (I was going GPS 100km/h. The car was doing broken speedo 100km/h which was like 80). Fine, I had enough room to do so. I look, signal, overtake. Look again to go back to the right lane and HOLY **** I see the logo of a Merc SUV. He must have been only a few feet away. Now comes the annoying part (besides possible death). The speed camera is quite close now but I had to speed up so this ****er doesn't ram me. I kicked down a gear overtook another car (I had already passed the slow one) passed the camera and saw how the Merc and Beemer SUV's sped off, quite obviously playing together. I then decided to chase them to get at least one license plate number to back up my story if I do get a ticket. They were weaving in and out, staying very close to eachother and I had to speed up around 145 km/h to get to them. I got the plate number of the Merc, stopped on the right shoulder on a safe spot and saved it in my phone. I'm still waiting for it. Ugh. I would have loved to get off the bike and expressed some road rage on that douchebag.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will always be weird people driving around. I've noticed over the years that the early hours of the morning usually bring out some strange behavior & I've been involved with a few, like the guy driving up the middle of two lanes & swerved either left or right depending which side you tried to pass on, getting passed was easy on a bike but he chased us (had a pillion) for miles. Road rage is just a myth, but it hasn't stopped d*ck heads who have always & will always be d*ck heads using it as an excuse to drop their bundle & citing road rage as its justification. We all get p*ssed off when things don't go right (late train, computer takes a dump or charge you extra for cheese on your kebab). You may feel like it, but you don't beat the crap out of somebody for something so banal.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup happened to me on my bike got cut off horribly by a harley of course, had to swerve and brake hard, honked at the guy and threw up my hand like wtf!, he slammed on his brakes which in turn made me slam on em but i didnt proceed to try and get away i stopped got off my bike and proceeded to throw him a beating once he came at me, big bad tough guy on your harley not so much when your off. and of course he was just in a tshirt and vest only gear he had on, so once again, ive said it before i never understood people that want to fight a biker with a padded jacket hard knucked gloves and a helmet on. FOREHEAD ICON IMPRINT... ENGAGED! lol

Old 06-04-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by stretch_the_apex
ive said it before i never understood people that want to fight a biker with a padded jacket hard knucked gloves and a helmet on. FOREHEAD ICON IMPRINT... ENGAGED! lol
LOL, part of the reason I got me a pair of Knox Handroids... make my hands look like some kind of futuristic weapon.

Quick Reply: Biker got beat up on the freeway!