Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Remember Who Youre riding with

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remember Who Youre riding with

So I went out on a ride with Crashkanman's brother and they guy that he sold the SV650 of his to last year. I have never ridden with either of them and didnt know their skill level coming into it. Once I got to where we were meeting the first thing I realized pulling into the lot was that I was going to be riding with a newb.. There is a yellow sv650 parked the wrong way on a hill (leaning against the grade rather than with the grade)

I forgave that and talked to him while waiting for our third.. Crashs's brother. He finally rolls up on a 675 Triple Triumph. He is in full leathers, maybe this is going to be alright anyways...

Well we soon found out that the sv650 rider was extremely inexperienced, we told him that he might not be able to keep up but we would try to keep it reasonable and if we got too far ahead we would stop and wait for him. We told him not to ride harder than he felt comfortable and he said he understood.

We went down a route near by that has some long sweeping curves that you can really get into and of course we couldnt help ourselves... I was leading and I hit them pretty good, I would enter at 70 and exit around 100, these are amazing curves that I love.... but anyways after a lot of curves we stopped and waited, he was going about 15 mph slower than us when we were going 70 so we figured he was just that far behind.... we waited and waited then decided to double back to find him.

Well in an open curve about 2 miles back from where we were he had lowsided. We think he entered too hot and panicked. Luckily he got out with some rash on his wrist and his arm, no other bodily damage that we know of. I am estimating about 700 dollars of damage to his bike.

Long story short, Know the skill level of the people you are riding with. I feel horrible that he went down. I somewhat feel like he might have been trying to keep up.

Last edited by rellimdekim; 03-22-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should carry a copy of The Pace with you and require anyone riding with you to read it. Don't carry too much guilt though ... dude knew you would wait and still pressed it. What ya gonna do?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 AM

that was all his fault man. don't feel guilty for that. be glad he learned something without getting hurt too bad

Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 AM

You shouldn't feel to bad but if you know the guy is a newb is it really bruising your ego to go slower than normal? You shouldn't babysit the guy but you can still show off maybe going only a few over the speed limit.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:06 AM

agreed it wasn't your fault. You did everything correct by telling him not to push himself.

its ok SV650 are inexpensive to fix, especially naked models. I hope he had on frame sliders.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ichlgo
agreed it wasn't your fault. You did everything correct by telling him not to push himself.

its ok SV650 are inexpensive to fix, especially naked models. I hope he had on frame sliders.
Yeh he had sliders, it just killed the front fairing, turn signal, radiator and muffler.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:00 PM

Ride your own pace. That is the beauty of motorcycling; you can ride together but it is an indivdual sport.
You gave him the right advice...and advised him you would pull over if you got too far ahead. Too bad he wasn't smart enough to listen.