Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Registration Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registration Help

What's up everybody. Hopefully if I explain my situation someone can help me. I bought my CBR 2 months ago. The person I bought it off said his friend ,the owner, was busy and couldn't meet with me. The carfax was clean and he had the title and keys so I didn't think anything of it. When I went to register it there was a small VIN typo where the title had an "8" and "9" switched around. I requested the paper work for another title with the correct VIN and filled it out and sent it to the DMV. I should also mention it is a Florida title and I am in NJ. I finally got the paperwork back today and they are saying that a title was issued after this one about two months before I bought the motorcycle and that makes my title void. I don't have this guy's number and the next step is to send a letter on the address on the title. Any other ideas would definately help. The letter from the DMV states I must get the duplicate title as my original is now voided. I just want to ride my CBR. I'm so pissed off at this point it's unbelievable. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say I just wanted to vent a little and see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks guys-John

Old 11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Default RE: Registration Help

Sounds like this could be a bit of a mess. My guess is that the bike may be stolen. Either that or the guy that sold it to you was telling the truth but had a second title ordered because he may have lost the original and then found it and sold the bike to you with the first title. In which case your title is now void. That sucks! He may have sold it to you and given you the wrong title and then reported it as stolen so he could get some $$ and his bike back. I'd be pissed for sure.
If it were me I'd contact the person on the front of the title, look them up on whitepages.com and call them to see what happened on their end. If it is legit then they should have the valid title. How did you find this bike for sale? Do you know the name of the "friend" that sold it to you? I'd be careful riding it until I knew if it was stolen or not.

That's a bummer!! Good luck though working it out. Keep us posted.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:20 PM

I haven't been riding it I'm just trying to get everything straightened out. I'm hoping it's not stolen that would be a whole mess in it's own. I think the DMV would have said something though if it was. Also the carfax was done and was clean. I guess now I just have to track him down. This sucks.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:40 PM

Oh and I found it on craigslist.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:57 AM

look u siad u dont have the his phone # but when u were buying the bike did u call him ... even for one time..?
the reason im asking this cuz i had the same situation with my car title .... what happened was .. i bought my car from some dude in NJ and just one week after i bought it i had to leave it im my garage and leave the usa cuz of my job .. well i came after about 5 months and i went to the DMV to the paper work and switch the title to my name . well NJ dmv are punch of ******** so they said that my title is void cuz it has a lot of scratchs.. well i went to the adress on the title found the guy had moved out ..dont know if he is ****ing alive or what not .. then suddenly i remembered that when i first seen the car i called him .. so i went to my cell phone record on the internet ( sprint gives u access to all the phone #s that u had made in the past year) it took me alot of trials and errors with all #s tell he answered me .. well he was an *** till i told look dude i will give u 400$ but just come and issue a duplicate ...he did ..
point is try to see if u called him once at least and see about what day (estimate) and then try the #s .
or send him a letter like u said and offer him money but look dont tell him that ur title is void... he can use that to say that the bike is stolen .. tell him that his signature on the title is not clear or make somthing up . u know ..

i hope u will be able to solve that problem cuz i know how it feels when u pay for somthing u own but u dont realy own ..

good luck man and keep us posted with whats going on ..

Old 11-30-2006, 07:41 PM

The number I spoke to him on was already erased from my phone by the time all this BS started. Another number was writtin on the envelope he gave me, but when I tried it was no longer in service. I talked to the DMV today and they told me the same thing. I have to track him down and get the duplicate. Oh and about telling him the title wasn't clear. I can't really do that because they said I have to get the duplicate that was issued to him. This sucks. Glad to hear everything worked out for you, makes me feel a little better that someone else has dealt with the same **** and eventually got it worked out.
ORIGINAL: simo1000rr

look u siad u dont have the his phone # but when u were buying the bike did u call him ... even for one time..?
the reason im asking this cuz i had the same situation with my car title .... what happened was .. i bought my car from some dude in NJ and just one week after i bought it i had to leave it im my garage and leave the usa cuz of my job .. well i came after about 5 months and i went to the DMV to the paper work and switch the title to my name . well NJ dmv are punch of ******** so they said that my title is void cuz it has a lot of scratchs.. well i went to the adress on the title found the guy had moved out ..dont know if he is ****ing alive or what not .. then suddenly i remembered that when i first seen the car i called him .. so i went to my cell phone record on the internet ( sprint gives u access to all the phone #s that u had made in the past year) it took me alot of trials and errors with all #s tell he answered me .. well he was an *** till i told look dude i will give u 400$ but just come and issue a duplicate ...he did ..
point is try to see if u called him once at least and see about what day (estimate) and then try the #s .
or send him a letter like u said and offer him money but look dont tell him that ur title is void... he can use that to say that the bike is stolen .. tell him that his signature on the title is not clear or make somthing up . u know ..

i hope u will be able to solve that problem cuz i know how it feels when u pay for somthing u own but u dont realy own ..

good luck man and keep us posted with whats going on ..

Old 12-01-2006, 06:53 AM

thats okay if the phone # is deleted from ur phone history or not . cuz what i meant is that u can get ur phone record of the internet .. all u have to do go to ur phone provider on line and look up ur account u can get all the phone record for the past year .. it will be kinda hard to find the # thru all the record .. but it worth it .. .......try it .. it can be a hope.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Retired Moderator

Simo is right. I have AT&T/Cingular and each monthly statement I get has all the calls to and from. I would do exactly what he says, and track that number down as tedious as it seems!