Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Quick helmet sizing help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick helmet sizing help?

Hey guys, this may be the wrong section, but I need help quick!

Looking to buy my girlfriend a Shoei Flutter helmet for Christmas, but I dont know what size to get her. I bought her a cheap helmet from a local shop last year, made in America, size small. I've heard Shoei/Arai run small, is that true? The helmet I found is a good deal and it's size Medium...
Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:26 PM

any input, I need this ASAP

Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM

Medium will be too large if she fit into a small. I have an Aria medium and it feels larger than my spare HJC medium.

The best thing you can do is measure her head and get her hat size. just tell her your looking for Xmas ideas and were thinking of a hat.. Go to the hardware store and buy a cloth tape measure.

You really want her to have a helmet that fits correctly. A bad fitting helmet will ruin her rides, plus the safety factor..

I know, not what you wanna hear, but do the right thing and get the correct size helmet.

You can go onto shoie's website and see what size she is suppose to be wearing. They have sizing charts.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

another thing if your wanting to keep it a surprise is get the one you think will fit, explain the situation and see if they will accept a return if it doesnt fit for one that does. did that with my wife.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pick the place you are going to purchase from & get a card of some kind (not business) from them to wrap "good for helmet". This way she can try on & get fitted correctly without problems.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could just buy a cheap baseball cap that has an adjustable strap and put it on her and be all like, "oops, it's too big, lemme readjust that for you hun" and voila, grab some tape measure and you've got instant head measurement... then google the shoei sizing chart and match it up, they measure around your forehead and should be pretty accurate. I've only had an Icon helmet before my shoei and found that the shoei was a bit more round up top and thinner by the cheeks.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Az1kF
Pick the place you are going to purchase from & get a card of some kind (not business) from them to wrap "good for helmet". This way she can try on & get fitted correctly without problems.
+1
Helmet is something you want to fit right. And different manufacturers might run a little larger / smaller in the same size than the rest.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 AM

Thanks guys, I should have added more details:
She hates hats, I know that, she know's I know that, so I couldn't really use that as an excuse lol. She pointed out how much she loved the looks of this helmet, and I found a good deal for a used one. I just paid $220 shipped and it's got all the original equipment, seller had perfect feedback. If it doesnt' fit I'll resell it and get her one that fits once riding season starts up again!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:01 PM

Just be sure to let her know that it won't bother you if she doesnt want it. From her standpoint, she will probably tell you it fits even if it doesnt. GF's are funny that way, she won't want to disapoint you. Be sure to test it yourself. If it slides side to side, its too large.

In fact, it can make for an awkward moment when the gift you just dumped 220 on doesnt fit and she has nothing. Might want a back up gift too...