Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Helmet sizing inserts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet sizing inserts?

Hey I searched around a bit and didn't find anything that pertains to my question. My buddy just bought a bike (used) and it came with a Shoei helmet and an ICON jacket. The jacket fits my buddy good, but the helmet is an XL and is just a tad too big. It fits pretty good with a beanie on, but with the warm summer months coming, that won't last long. I was wondering if there is a company that makes some sort of helmet insert that can be used to resize helmets a little bit. I checked the original foam of the helmet and it doesn't look like it has been used much (seller had another helmet that he used instead), so I'm not sure how well getting new original foam will work at making it smaller.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check w/ Shoei online maybe. I know that many companies just make 1-3 sizes of shell and alter the fit with different thickness pads. If the XL shoei is the same shell as the large, he should be able to just source the large padding kit for that shell.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(I have a weakness for internet searching)

Road Helmets | SHOEI Parts/Accessories/Apparel Store

See if shoei has his model listed - they say anything more than 7 years old are considered out of production and no longer stock parts for them. even brand new helmets that have sat for 7 years will have lost some strength due to UV breakdown of the foam, unless sealed in a box or helmet bag.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think that answers my question. Haha. Thanks adrenaln! I can see you have a weakness, but admitting you have that weakness is the first step! lol I'll find out the exact model of his helmet and contact Shoei directly. Thanks again bud

Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on what a "tad" too big *is*. While you can get larger cheek pads to snug up the fit on the face a bit, if the helmet is too big...its too big. Go to the Shoei website & look at the sizing chart, have your buddy measure his head w/ the measuring tape, then compare to the chart. That will give you your answer if the helmet will fall into his size category & can be supplemented w/ thicker cheek pads.