Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

question for everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013 | 12:38 AM

In Arkansas it's linked an further more the ccw permit system is over saw and ran by the state police here. So here it's run plates your name pops up with your name up pops your ccw an bam popo know you could legally be carrying a fire arm. To add to this when any interaction with a cop of any kind happens and you are actively carrying you have to present your ccw with you dl so the officer know you are armed. That's part of Arkansas law I'm not sure of other states

Old 03-28-2013 | 09:25 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

bored, it's not illogical or absurd. it's what happens. a LOT of states do it that way.

florida, it's linked to the DMV. i have a ccw, so when my registration pulls up, when my plate gets runned, the ccw pulls up too. that's usually the first thing LEO ask "are you carrying tonight?" "where's your weapon?" etc before i say anything

sure you send your info to the FBI, but it's still a state license, why is it absurd or illogical to think that along with your state DL, your state CCP wouldn't be linked?

Last edited by Conrice; 03-28-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2013 | 01:58 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

The only time I wished for a firearm while traveling was when I came across a deer that had been by a car. She was laying in the ditch with three broken legs, bleeding from her nose and mouth and trying to get up an run. When called Fish and Game, they said they'd take care of it. A couple hours later when I came back by she was still alive and suffering. One co-worker carried for just such occasions.

Old 03-29-2013 | 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
sure you send your info to the FBI, but it's still a state license, why is it absurd or illogical to think that along with your state DL, your state CCP wouldn't be linked?
Because there is no logical reason to. Stuff like that leads to things like in NY where they published the names and addressess of all ccw holders. What followed? Home break ins, stolen firearms, and really pissed off people who had their privacy violated. Here in AZ, we became logical and got rid of ccw's being required. If you are legally allowed to carry a gun openly, why wouldn't you be allowed to carry it concealed and upset less people?
Back to the point, why do the police need to know you have a ccw? Just because you have one doesn't mean they need to be more carefull with you. You went and got a ccw legally, which means your a law abiding person. Criminals who shoot cops don't get ccw's, or legal firearms for that matter.

Old 03-29-2013 | 12:45 AM

Bored I hate to say this but I see your point but from the Leo's point of view it lets them know how to handle you better if you get surched and they find a wepon it looks worse than them knowing off hand that you might be or are carrying it's for the carriers protection as well as the cops

Old 03-29-2013 | 10:47 AM

If your weapon is not readily accessible and ready to fire ( round chambered), then you might as well be carrying a rock.
My thoughts exactly. I would imagine a CC riders reason to carry while riding would be to defend him/her against an armed assailant. So when this person indicates that they intend to do you physical harm or possibly just jack your bike, are they going to stop and wait while you turn off the engine, take off your gloves, remove your own gun from backpack(pillion, ram mount, etc), ready it to fire, and assume an accurate safe firing position? I really cant imagine that rare situation where CCing while riding would be effective.

Unless your reasoning would be to defuse an impending road-rage situation with an angry(but unarmed)motorist. Fair enough, but after going through all the steps above (in the heat of the moment mind you), are you morally and legally prepared to brandish a weapon and fire on an unarmed person out of fear of what they "may" do to you? Nah, personally I'll go toe to toe and only risk a possible ***-beating.

Old 03-29-2013 | 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by singram
My thoughts exactly. I would imagine a CC riders reason to carry while riding would be to defend him/her against an armed assailant. So when this person indicates that they intend to do you physical harm or possibly just jack your bike, are they going to stop and wait while you turn off the engine, take off your gloves, remove your own gun from backpack(pillion, ram mount, etc), ready it to fire, and assume an accurate safe firing position?
If your already riding down the road then there is no legal reason [in AZ at least] for you to use your weapon. You must try to stop and let the person drive away and if that doesn't work THEN you have the right to defend yourself. And at that point, I personally will just go like hell and get out of there. Nothing short of a $100K+ exotic can even come close to keeping up with a newer 600cc+ sportbike. If you use your weapon while driving down the road you WILL be arrested.
Now assuming your scenerio: Im not going to turn my engine off. The bike needs to stay ready to go if needed. Im not taking my gloves off. I use guns that can fit a gloved hand for this exact reason. Yes I have to remove the gun from the backpack. I've been doing this method of carry for years and it takes about 4 seconds to get the pack over and un-zipped with my hand on the weapon. I don't need to get the gun ready to fire. If I have a gun, its always chambered and ready to fire. And lastly, the first thing I'll do is crouch behind the bike for protection so I'll already be in position. Is all this the fastest way to deal with needing your firearm? No. Niether is ccw'ing. Open carry is faster, so what makes ccw'ing ok compared to open? My gun in my backpack is much faster to access then it back at home. Its also much more usefull then no gun at all. Everything in life is a comprimise, its up to each individual what comprimise they're willing to make.

Old 03-29-2013 | 06:19 PM

*sigh* for the record:
  1. I carry in a shoulder holster when I carry
  2. I don't carry for when im riding. I carry for when I'm not riding.
  3. I have dismounted and drawn (with the intent to fire) before.

Safest place for my gun outside of the house is on my person. As stated a modern 600cc sport bike will leave most stock vehicles under $100k choking on dust. Thus removing the need to draw and fire... most times.

The incident where I did dismount and draw I felt my life was being threatened by a driver and I got caught at a red light. My weapon was out and tracking within 5 steps from my bike. What halted the trigger pull was the driver throwing it into reverse, aka legally retreating and removing justification to fire.

Old 03-29-2013 | 06:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Because there is no logical reason to. Stuff like that leads to things like in NY where they published the names and addressess of all ccw holders. What followed? Home break ins, stolen firearms, and really pissed off people who had their privacy violated. Here in AZ, we became logical and got rid of ccw's being required. If you are legally allowed to carry a gun openly, why wouldn't you be allowed to carry it concealed you say and upset less people?
Back to the point, why do the police need to know you have a ccw? Just because you have one doesn't mean they need to be more carefull with you. You went and got a ccw legally, which means your a law abiding person. Criminals who shoot cops don't get ccw's, or legal firearms for that matter.
it is logical from a gov't point of view. especially for the police. go ask your cop friends if they'd rather know someone had a CCW if given the option? the answer is a simple - OF COURSE they'd rather know. so state goverments who run state driver's license and state CCW link the two of them.

whether you agree with it or not, that's a different debate. but how is it not logical for them to want as much info as possible?

and i can see why you say those people's addresses were printed because of permit laws, but that's not why. it's because of the freedom of information laws that we passed. it's a double edged sword and a different debate.

and it's only rookies that get spooked when they see "CCW holder". all more experienced cops look at it just as you did. they think,"they're law abiding citizens." that gives a lot of cops peace of mind when they see it. but still - it's more information for the police - which they'd all have over the unknown. having everything linked isn't a tell-all, but it's more information.

and as small gov't minded as i am, i understand and somewhat agree with it. i have no problem with the cops wanting information to protect themselves which is all that information does. it's the same thing when they run plates or driver's licenses and see past criminal history, stolen car, etc. come up. that extra information helps them do their job safely - which i'm for. and i can't see where it hurts me for them to have that info. if they know i "could" be armed - it shows them exactly the kind of guy they're dealing with when i have my arms out (like a fool-as you said) after i've been pulled over.

Originally Posted by ko67
If your weapon is not readily accessible and ready to fire ( round chambered), then you might as well be carrying a rock.

and thats exactly why i say if you're out for a ride for the ride's sake to leave the gun at home.

Old 03-29-2013 | 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
and thats exactly why i say if you're out for a ride for the ride's sake to leave the gun at home.

I am not opposed to someone carrying.

But it cracks me up when people thing that in motorcycle gear (or in normal everyday clothing) that they think that they can:

1. Identify threat
2. Acces weapon
3. Chamber round
4. Get on target
5. Make a well placed shot.

All under a state of duress with adrenaline pumping hard.

Quick Reply: question for everyone!