Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Question about tire manufacture date?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tire manufacture date?

Someone posted information about "new" tires vs manufacture date and I was wondering if anyone knew of that info? A friend had a blow out on his bike either yesterday or the day before and I was thinking about the info. He said he had heard some kind of grinding metal on metal when he would lean in on a turn, then he had a blow out.

He said it "sounded like something hard rubbing on something hard", but only in a turn. I asked if he saw rub marks on the tire, but he said that there were due to him having to ride on a flat about 3/4 of a mile home. I told him, I thought the grinding and blow out were coincidental. I think it sounds like the bearings are going bad, due to it being heard only in a turn. But what do I really know.

But anyway, back to my question about the manufacture info. I know the info is stamped on the tire it self, it lists the week and year the tire was made. He said he put "new" tires on this past fall. I am not sure exactly what caused the blow out, but I wanted to pass the info about tire manufacture along, as food for thought.

Thanks in advance if anyone has the info.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:27 AM

Im not really sure what your question is. As you said, the manufacture date is on the sidewall if you want to see the age of the tire. Its suggested to not run tires that are older than 5-7 years as the rubber begins to degrade.

But, just to clarify, your friend rode the bike with a flat tire for 3/4 of mile, then rode the bike again with that same tire after it was aired up? If your wondering why the tire blew, that would be it. You cannot ride on these tires flat without damaging the carcass of the tire.

As for the noise, more than likely he was loosing air pressure and didn't realize it. the lowered pressure of the air was probably causing the tire to shift, or even allow the rim to contact the ground through the softer tire.

My guess is that he simply lost air pressure and the tire lost its seal. It was more than likley just a case of a person being careless, not a tire malfunction.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Im not really sure what your question is. As you said, the manufacture date is on the sidewall if you want to see the age of the tire. Its suggested to not run tires that are older than 5-7 years as the rubber begins to degrade.

Someone posted a video with all the info about the tire manufacture info, that's what I wanted to pass along.

But, just to clarify, your friend rode the bike with a flat tire for 3/4 of mile, then rode the bike again with that same tire after it was aired up? If your wondering why the tire blew, that would be it. You cannot ride on these tires flat without damaging the carcass of the tire.

No, he rode 3/4 of a mile to his house and parked it.

As for the noise, more than likely he was loosing air pressure and didn't realize it. the lowered pressure of the air was probably causing the tire to shift, or even allow the rim to contact the ground through the softer tire.

He said it sounded like metal on metal. He thought it was possibly his center stand or the chain or guard hitting or rubbing in the turn, he thought that it was maybe what caused the blow out. He has a 79 Honda CM400A.

My guess is that he simply lost air pressure and the tire lost its seal. It was more than likley just a case of a person being careless, not a tire malfunction.
Red are my replies.

I don't live close by to him, so I can't really get more info other than what he briefly told me on facebook. But I remember seeing a video posted somewhere on here about that. I tried searching, but came up with nothing. Thanks for the response, though.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
But anyway, back to my question about the manufacture info. I know the info is stamped on the tire it self, it lists the week and year the tire was made.

Thanks in advance if anyone has the info.
What are you wanting to know? The manufacturing date is the 4-digit code on the sidewall, right after the 'DOT' letters. The first two numbers are the week of the year the tire was made. The last two numbers are the year. A code of 3005 means the tire was made in the 30th week of the year 2005.

Just because someone bought a 'new' tire it doesn't mean it hasn't sat in a warehouse for several years before that. I always check the date when I buy new tires.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A few years ago congress was supposed to look into tire dealers selling old tires. Yes, they do sit on shelves for years and are sold as new. There have been total tire failures where entire families have been killed due to old tires recently purchased and sold as "new". The blowout happens so fast that the vehicle rolls over without warning. When they go it happens fast, it's a catastrophic failure, not a slow leak.

Buyer-beware!

watch the video at bottom if this LINK

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 02-27-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
What are you wanting to know? The manufacturing date is the 4-digit code on the sidewall, right after the 'DOT' letters. The first two numbers are the week of the year the tire was made. The last two numbers are the year. A code of 3005 means the tire was made in the 30th week of the year 2005.

Just because someone bought a 'new' tire it doesn't mean it hasn't sat in a warehouse for several years before that. I always check the date when I buy new tires.

It's not so much "wanting to know", it's more about looking for a video that was posted and passing the video along to a friend.

And on that note, if you have an old tire, is the shop you got it from in any way responsible? Or do you just have to eat the cost?

Old 02-27-2011, 04:51 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

It's not so much "wanting to know", it's more about looking for a video that was posted and passing the video along to a friend.

And on that note, if you have an old tire, is the shop you got it from in any way responsible? Or do you just have to eat the cost?

i would try looking into holding them responsible, lawyer maybe.
but as a buyer i do agree that you should make sure you know what you are buying.
my tires were bought end of last year (seller had the receipt) and they were made mid 09.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say the place that you bought the tire from is absolutely responsible for selling a tire as new and doing whatever it takes to make sure the tire is not several years old. I'd give them a chance to correct a problem first and then I'd file a dispute with my CC company if the retailer refused to exchange it or refund my money, including any shipping charges.

I'd look at this tire thing as if I went to the local store and bought a loaf of Wonder Bread, only to find it was full of mold when I got it home because it was two weeks after the expiration date on the wrapper. I wouldn't go after the Wonder Bread company to make it right.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 PM

I really thought you were looking for opinions, not just a particular video. You might want to try looking up on you tube.

However, it would be difficult to hold a tire seller responsible for selling a tire that is legally still new. Tires do not have expiration dates, so they are still legally new. Some manufacturers have warranties from manufacture date, but most have them from the sell date. Also, each tire company has its own regulations as to what they consider a new tire. The best bet is buy your tires from an authorized dealer, as their stock is replaced if they still have tires on the shelf that have gone beyond what is considered a "new" tire for that particular manufacturer. But, there are new regulations being suggested to make tire manufacturer's place expiration dates on their tires.