Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Pulled over for "speeding" :p

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pulled over for "speeding" :p

Not on my bike. Was waaaay too cold to ride and I was going to pick up my girlfriend (who'd kill us both if she rode on the back). But here's the story and you tell me what to think...

Heading southbound on a 1 way street, I pulled up to a red light at an intersection of a 2 way street. Cop is travelling westbound. Light turns green and I go. Halfway down the block, I see the cop has turned onto the southbound street and has his lights on. I pull over, thinking he's heading to an emergency (report of a possible fresh donut delivery at Dunkin Donuts). And am totally shocked when he stops and puts his spotlight on my car. I turn off the car, take the keys out the ignition, put them on the roof and wait... And wait... And wait... AND WAIT.... Figure he's calling for backup, not wanting to do a solo stop. So I'm waiting patiently for about 10 minute then he turns off the spot and pulls alongside my car. I see him AND HIS PARTNER staring at me so I roll down the passenger window. The officer then shouts "Slow down!". And drives off...

Mind you I'm driving my gf's VW Beetle. In a half block distance from a full stop, I might be able to get her up to 35 mph. And given that 1) its below freezing here so there are ice patches out and 2) I was driving on one of Philly's insanely half cobblestoned streets with trolley tracks, I was already slowing down for the next light at the halfway mark

So am I wrong to think ill of this officer and his motive for pulling me over?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for some reason I was thinking about the movie super troopers while reading this. No ticket no worries as far as I'm concerned.

PA also has the worst roads anywhere and philly takes the cake.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Wink no ticket ---no foul

Originally Posted by frozenpoet
for some reason I was thinking about the movie super troopers while reading this. No ticket no worries as far as I'm concerned.

PA also has the worst roads anywhere and philly takes the cake.
well meow, do you know how fast you were going?hehehe just the best movie ever....He might have been confused to the fact that a man was driving a newer bug....ill give it to you Damon , i wood be pretty low in the seat so no one saw me...hehehe ...no but really bro, if ya didnt get a ticket dont worry about it. no lost sleep over them being currious, i dont count the ones i didnt get a ticket on.peece bud

Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 AM

I dunno, I'd be kind of pissed. It was obvious they pulled you over for no reason. Then the jerks didnt even want to get out of the car because their vag's would get cold. Then to use some lame excuse of telling you to slow down is just rediculous.

I understand you didnt get a ticket, and to most it would be a good day. But if you were doing nothing wrong, its not a good day. If you were driving reckless and thats all that happened, great... but it wasnt.

I'm with ya in thinking ill of them.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Detained 10 minutes sucks but no ticket is good. You could pursue it with their superiors but most likely you'd get a line of bull ... ya know, description matched a stolen vehicle blah, blah, blah.

The moral of the story is don't drive a new bug if you're a straight dude

Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 AM
November 2009 ROTM

By Hassling you,they probably filled there Quota for their shift.........Its a global thing you know...........

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 AM

ha ha ha my step dad is a police officer, and sometimes they get put on different details such as drunk driving and or stolen vehicals or things like that. they were probably running your plates to see if you had a suspended license or if you stole the vehicle. for them to use a poor excuse like "slow down" i agree was wrong. but most of the time they are honest and say we were just running the plates and making sure you weren't suspended or registration run out or something. no worries bud.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Why would someone want to steal much less buy a new bug? When VW first came out with the turbo bug it was slower then the NA version.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 AM

Yah, I knew they were running the plates when I saw he wasn't solo. Just annoying as hell. He didn't even give me the courtesy of getting out of the car and requesting to see my license / registration / insurance.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You definitely have a right to be irritated. The inconvenience alone is enough to annoy. I recently got road-raged on by a local motor-cop. Like you, I was minding my own business & obeying the traffic laws. When I flipped up my dark smoke visor & he saw that I wasn't some little young road-terrorizing punk, his attitude changed. Hell, I was most likely older than he was. I'm all for keeping our streets safe but not by unfairly or unjustly hassling drivers/riders just b/c they can.

As for the felony-type stop he pulled on you...many officers have the attitude that its better safe than sorry when making "routine" traffic stops...in that, they'll approach the vehicle as if its *always* a wanted felon who could be armed & dangerous. Not that there's anything wrong w/ that (looking at it from their view) b/c that absolutely could be the case -but- it is unnerving to the avg citizen.

Point is... There should be a reason to pull you over vs just randomly making stops.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by gotcbr; 01-04-2010 at 12:07 PM.