Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Pulled over once more...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled over once more...

Last weekend I decided to take my 600RR for a spin, first taking Rt.44 and then catching 172 eastbound before taking Rt.30 back towards my place. So I get to 172 and about four minutes later I hear a siren and lo and behold, there is a car behind me that has these neat lights on top that flash blue and red. This has happened to me two other times, once on the Magna that I used to own and another on this very same bike. The best thing to do is stop and be polite and I did. A young man dressed in blue walks up to me and says I was speeding in the 35mph zone that quickly turns into a 55 zone and I was but I knew it wasn't that much over until he said he got me at 17 mph over the limit. He then asked me how my driving record was and I told him it was good, for the most part. So I hand him my paperwork and wait for a bit until he gets back out of has car with ONLY my paperwork and no ticket.

I told him that I like to take it out into the country and open it up a bit but that there are far too may dangers to get crazy and I found out that he also owns a bike, a Ducati 998 if I recall correctly. We talked for a while about some of the roads to take if you like the twisties and he told me about Nelson's Ledges, the closest track around here besides Mid-Ohio. He said he wouldn't give me a ticket or anything and I thanked him, which he said "No problem" and I left. When I got pulled over for the very first time on the Magna, I was riding at night which is a big no-no with only a permit and was also let go but the cop told me to slow down. All in all, if you pull over right away and you don't act like a *****, you have a chance of getting out of a ticket, but it's no guarantee that this will happen. That's just my experience so far but I don't plan on becoming an expert in this field. Ride safe...

Old 10-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Default RE: Pulled over once more...

Good job. Glad to hear it worked out for ya. What you experienced is usually the norm. Be polite, respectful, and HONEST and you will usually get at least that in return, regardless if you are pinched or not.

(btw, I just got pinched by CHP a couple months ago lol. )

Old 10-13-2007, 03:21 PM

Not on my bike though, in our xterra.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:40 PM

Doesnt always work... I'm at a disadvantage though being a young kid

Old 10-13-2007, 03:58 PM

i was following a cop, he pulled over let me pass him then light me up as i went by. 9miles over... i was going with the flow. I pulled over so hard he only had to move his car maybe 50ft from where he pulled to the side and let me go by. Didn't say a word to him, took my helm off got off the bike and went over to the grass because i don't like sitting still on 55mph streets.. He was polite didn't really say anything, still wrote me a dumb ticket. my only ticket.

i got lucky a few months ago. I passed park ranger at a buck thirty in his suburban and i still pulled over, LOL.... Guy walks up and says "why did you pull over ?"

lol. Gave me 2 weeks to get my bike inspected, since i had all good papers and pulled over when i blew past him.. he didn't have radar but told me he could have charged me wreckless. Thats $1500. lucky.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I got pulled over on my way into town one day. I'm only about 2 miles out and this is more or less podunk wisconsin. So I'm just cruising along at about 75, not even realizing it and I meet a county cop. I see him hit the brakes as he goes by me so I just slow down and pull over. He doesn't even flip on the lights, just pulls over behind me. He walks up and I hand my my drivers license, and we both realize we know each other. His mom worked for my dad for probably close to 15 years. So after discussing family and asking me when I got the bike he thanked me for pulling over because, "There's just no catching these things..." I had a laugh and he let me off with a verbal warning. I have had one speeding ticket and it was over 3 years before this incident. It makes for a pretty good story when I hear someone bitching about being pulled over, I just say that when I get pulled over, the police THANK me for doing it!

but yeah, definitely a real point to just pulling over and not being a douche. Chances are they'll see that bike again and remember if you tried to run or were a dick. Then they'll just screw you to the wall every chance they get.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: elmer

Yeah, I got pulled over on my way into town one day. I'm only about 2 miles out and this is more or less podunk wisconsin. So I'm just cruising along at about 75, not even realizing it and I meet a county cop. I see him hit the brakes as he goes by me so I just slow down and pull over. He doesn't even flip on the lights, just pulls over behind me. He walks up and I hand my my drivers license, and we both realize we know each other. His mom worked for my dad for probably close to 15 years. So after discussing family and asking me when I got the bike he thanked me for pulling over because, "There's just no catching these things..." I had a laugh and he let me off with a verbal warning. I have had one speeding ticket and it was over 3 years before this incident. It makes for a pretty good story when I hear someone bitching about being pulled over, I just say that when I get pulled over, the police THANK me for doing it!

but yeah, definitely a real point to just pulling over and not being a douche. Chances are they'll see that bike again and remember if you tried to run or were a dick. Then they'll just screw you to the wall every chance they get.

One of my teachers in college told the class about getting out of 3 tickets by pulling over as soon as the cop hit his brakes to turn around. They never expect people to do that and it is a courtesy that may get you out of trouble. If asked why you did it, my instructor told me that he always justifies stopping by saying "well, since I was speeding, you would have to do XX over what I was doing to catch me and that isn't safe." Plus, chasing someone down gets their adrenaline pumping and that could lead to a power trip.

McCone, you did the right thing.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:02 AM

I would never run because I may be killed or kill another in the process but the thought does cross my mind before pragmatism sets in. All of my experiences have been good so far when I have been pulled over on my CBR, even when I didn't have my license, which was a blonde move on my part. I was speeding and I had that dropped in court but I had to pay a fine for having no endorsement. It's just so easy to speed on these things...