Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Pulled Over and actually enjoyed it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulled Over and actually enjoyed it.

Use the following experience of mine and an example, and odds are, you'll have as pleasant of a pullover as I did.........

I was just pulled over for the first time on my bike just a few minutes ago on my way home by a Sherrif. It was on a two lane road, and I was about a mile and a half away from any cars doing about 50-ish in a 35. I saw the lights off in the distance behind me and and immediately knew it was for me. I didn't even get the slightest urge to run (that would be retarded.) I immediately slowed down, put on the signal and turned into a bank parking lot. By this time, the cop was a few car lengths behind me. I stopped, turned off the bike, took the keys out (in a way that he could see that I took them out) and sat them on the back seat. I slowly got off the bike, took off my gloves and helmet and set them on the tank and waited for him.

He got out of his car, and the following happened........

Officer - "How you doing?"
Me - "Good."
Officer - "You know why I pulled you over, right?"
Me - "Yes sir, about 10-over".
Officer (smiling) - "Well, a little more than that. Do you have your license with you?"
Me - "Yes sir, do you need my registration and insurance.?"
Officer - "No thanks, just need to check for your endorsement."
Me - "Sure thing." - Handed him the license.
Officer - "Just sit tight for a minute so I can check for any warrants."
Me - "No problem, take your time."

.......two minutes later..........

Officer - "Okay, nobody wants you, here you go." - Handing me my license back. "Ride safe, and have a good night."
Me - "Will do, thanks."

That's it guys. I have to say that it was actually a pleasant pullover. Be friendly, courteous and polite to the officer and he (should) be the same way back. I know that I'm blessed with having great police officers here in Las Cruces, NM (never have had a bad run in with a officer before.....and I've been pulled a few times before - in my car.) But I'm sure this will work in other places too.

I will suggest one thing though. (heard this from my friends dad who is also an officer) Taking off your helmet before an officer gets out of their car helps to relive/eliminate tension. Walking up to a stranger in a helmet is a little tense and feels awkward to those unfamiliar with bikes or that aren't around them as often as we are. When people see your face exposed, you seem more approachable, therefore there's no tension between the rider and the officer. This way it keeps everyone calm and relaxed.

I was speeding though, I'll admit that, but didn't get a ticket (which I'm grateful for.) If I did get a ticket, I would be bummed, but at myself. I even remember thinking as I saw the lights behind me "Damn, look what I got myself into."

Just wanted to share my little experience and a little tip that I remember hearing from an officer.

Ride safe guys.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pulled Over and actually enjoyed it.

Yea, they can be really cool at timies. I'v had experiences like this before also. Puts a big smile on your face the rest of the day. Good tip abotu the helmet though, never woulda thought about that.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:44 AM

I like to hear stories like that. The helmet thing is new to me as well. About two and a half years ago I was pulled over on my Katana doing 91 in a 65. Thats 26 over and is considered reckless driving. I was very polite to the officer as he was to me. Got a ticket for speeding and not one for reckless driving, which could have cost me my license, and I was able to go to driving school instead of paying the ticket and nothing on my record and no insurance increases. But what really surprised me was that the officer seemed to be more concerned about my safety than the fact that I had broken a traffic law.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:17 AM

I've never been pulled over anywhere except the crap town of Sussex with the mean old oinkers. =/ Police everywhere else are normal people I guess.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:18 PM

Turning the bike off and taking the helmet off are good ideas but police prefer you to stay on the bike with the kickstand up. With the bike off they know you're not going anywhere and they feel safer with you on the bikeat a disadvantage.

Btw-I got 2 more weeks in the academy then I'll be on the street. It's been a long 20 weeks.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: wickedhx

Turning the bike off and taking the helmet off are good ideas but police prefer you to stay on the bike with the kickstand up. With the bike off they know you're not going anywhere and they feel safer with you on the bikeat a disadvantage.

Btw-I got 2 more weeks in the academy then I'll be on the street. It's been a long 20 weeks.
In my four years, we wanted you off the bike everytime. Where are you from?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:13 PM

I don't think getting pulled over any time is a "pleasant" experience, but it's better when you don't get a ticket. Just remember that sherriff has you in his memory and he might not be so merciful next time.
I think cops would rather you get off the bike when they stop you. The first time I got pulled over I turned off the bike, but stayed on with my helmet on. The officer gave me instructions to get off the bike and remove my helmet. The second time I got pulled over I automatically did this, and I didn't get any flak for it. Just make sure you don't make any suspicious moves, and keep your hands in plain sight and out of your pockets 'til he asks for your license. Better yet, don't do anything to get pulled over and you won't have to worry about it.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:41 PM

Good stuff Blue Fox. I have never been pulled on my bike, but it will happen im sure. When it does i hope it goes something like that. I know i'll pull over asap and take off the helmet and remove my keys. I think it you try to be respectful to the officer and show him that you are no threat, your life will be much easier. You admit to him you knew you were wrong, and offered up all your driving info (insurance, registration, etc), pretty much putting yourself at his mercy.

Had you acted differently im sure you would have gotten a speeding citation !

Old 06-03-2007, 05:01 PM

As pleasant as you may EVER be, sometimes the cop already has decided you are getting a ticket LONG before you even stop. I ALWAYS stay respectful (I'm too aware to not know the cop is pulling me over) and will pull over before the cop even catches up to me (in the car or on the bike). I speak with respect and even sometimes try to make them laugh. Only been pulled over once on the bike...and the cop wrote me a ticket (speeding 77 in a 45). I didn't take my helmet or gloves off or take the key out either. Would that have "helped" me get out of that ticket, I doubt it. But my method has let me out of SEVERAL tickets (I'd say at least a dozen). On the flip side though, I've been written SEVERAL dozen tickets.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:08 PM
VP

I was talking to an officer down in Florida last week (business trip) and I got to telling him about my bike. Well luckily for him, he had a bike too so he was cool about it.

Anyways,he straight up told me that when bikes run from cops on the interstate it's policy to stop pursuit within 20 seconds if they don't look like they will cooperate. Now on the flipside of that, whenever a sportbike does get pulled over for ANYTHING they hand you a ticket. Period...so you fellas better be careful!

Don't expect any warnings, Foxxy you're lucky as hell you got off so easy. I got pulled over the other day doing 15 overand the officer didn't want to talk to me or anything, took my license and insurance and wrote me a ticket from his car. He didn't even want to stand next to me for some reason.

Quick Reply: Pulled Over and actually enjoyed it.