Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Plug a tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug a tire?

Please tell me its possible. Just put on my brand new corsa III last night...today it has a fackin screw.

Its the rear...im thinkin its gonna be a no on puttin in the plug but im hopin somebody out there has done it and it has worked.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Default RE: Plug a tire?

Plug it in, plug it in. I like the scented plugs.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 8k on a rear tire with a plug in it. But most will say not too.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Ive run a plugged tire for many-o-miles. Never had a problem. Ive heard not to do it, but they werent sending me cash to buy a new tire. $2 plug here I come

Old 02-08-2008, 01:32 PM

just a normal plug from a auto parts store?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:38 PM

Correct. Make sure you have both tools also.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:39 PM

nice...thanks

Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM

Eww... that sucks. Yes, you CAN plug the rear... but if you check tire care information (and look in your owners manual), a plugged tire supposedly limits it to "Safe" up to only 80mph.

Here's what information I found online...
from http://searchwarp.com/swa24723.htm [ul][*]" Bear in mind that tire plug manufacturers renounce the safety of the plug if we use more than two plugs in the tire or more than one plug in one tire quadrant. Speed warranties are also rendered void. Thus, if your tire is designated with an ‘H’ for its speed, it means that your safe speed is up to 130 MPH. However, if you are using even one tire plug in the tire, limit your speed up to about 80 MPH.[/ul]
[blockquote] Don’t compromise your safety with by using the prohibited number of tire plugs in a tire. Learn to go by the rules so as not to sacrifice your safety. And in cases of malfunction, manufacturers cannot abscond or waive their liabilities. We are making them a favor if we violate the rules. In fact, we are the ones who will be at the losing end. Might as well be stick to what is prescribed and rightful."
[/blockquote]
Let's step it up a notch... this is DIRECTLY from Dunlops Website... Located at http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...tips.asp?id=30 [ul][*]"Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an innertube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair." [/ul]-And- [ul][*]"Tires should not be repaired if any of the following conditions exist:[/ul][ol][*]A tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer.[*]The puncture is larger than 6mm (1/4") in diameter.[*]The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass.[*]The puncture is in the tire sidewall.[*]Separation of plies, tread separation, separation of any other components.[*]Cut or broken ply cords.[*]Broken or damaged bead wires.[*]Cut or damaged chafers (bead area).[*]Deterioration of the carcass inside the tire due to "run flat" or underinflation.[*]Cracks or other damage to the integrity of the inner liner.[*]Excessive wear - tire should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread depth, excluding tread wear indicators.[*]Cracks in sidewall or tread.[*]Impact breaks, cuts, snags or gouges that penetrate the surface."[/ol]And MOST IMPORTANTLY... [ul][*]"NOTE:[/ul][ol]There should be no more than one repair in any quarter of the tire and no more than two repairs per tire.The wheel itself must be in good condition. Any cracked or bent wheel, however slightly, may allow the loss of air and cause subsequent deflation of the tire.Following repair, the valve assembly should be replaced and the tire/wheel rebalanced.Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair.[/ol][blockquote]In summary, NO form of temporary repair should be attempted. Motorcycle tire repairs leave no room for error and any doubt as to inspection or adequacy of repair should be resolved by discarding the tire."
[/blockquote]
And finally... since that's alot to read and I applaud you if you're still going... from http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=100
(A motorcycle safety tips site) [ul][*]"[color="black"][font="verdana, arial, helvetica"][size="2"][color="black"][font="verdana, arial, helvetica"][size="2"]The manufacturers of tire plugs specifically disavow the safety of doing either of the last two items listed above. They also

Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM

There is a difference between a plug and a patch. I would use a patch. I am not sure why people plug tires.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:20 PM

Man, if you can do it yourself go for it. I couldn't find any shop that would patch a motorcycle tire.

Quick Reply: Plug a tire?