Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: did you pass your road test the first time?
yes.
96.43%
No, i passed the road test on the second try.
3.57%
I had to take the road test more than twice
0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Passed first try?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awol, congrats! That sounds like a very tough test.

Our system of licensing in the U.S. is much more relaxed compared to some other places in the world, like where you are. Many riders could benefit from a rider safety course (like the MSF) b/f licensing. I recommend the MSF Course (or equivalent) for all riders, regardless.

Nevertheless, one state/county's testing procedures differs from the next. After the written test, the riding test portion difficulty depends on the actual examiner. Some are much easier than others. Like you, I know a guy that had to be followed for several miles, while another guy only had to ride around the DMV station only. Really, there should be more uniform standards nationwide. But, that could also be said of a standard driver's license as well.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I barely passed my written test and have not went back for the riding test.
(i have 1 year to take the riding test in Oklahoma)

Old 07-07-2011, 05:00 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Ditto the statement of took the MSF class and automatically got my license. 100% written and only a little off for locking up the rear tire during hard brake test. Easy peasy!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only thing I remember was it had 2 figure-eight's in it, a couple of left-right turns and a stop-sign in the middle and at the end. If you put your feet down anywhere before the final stop (including the first stop) you failed.

That was in 1980 Louisville, Ky. I have no clue what they do now.

When I moved to Tulsa in 81 they didn't require a 'm' endorsement. About 15 years ago, they finally started to require a driver test and endorsement. Tried to take it just for fun, but they 'grand-fathered' me and wouldn't let me.

Ern

Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Awol, congrats! That sounds like a very tough test.

Our system of licensing in the U.S. is much more relaxed compared to some other places in the world, like where you are. Many riders could benefit from a rider safety course (like the MSF) b/f licensing. I recommend the MSF Course (or equivalent) for all riders, regardless.

Nevertheless, one state/county's testing procedures differs from the next. After the written test, the riding test portion difficulty depends on the actual examiner. Some are much easier than others. Like you, I know a guy that had to be followed for several miles, while another guy only had to ride around the DMV station only. Really, there should be more uniform standards nationwide. But, that could also be said of a standard driver's license as well.
thanks man, it was grueling at times,knowing a single traffic infraction/violation is an automatic fail ....and there is a 90 percent failure rate,
That,compiled with the temperature under my leathers in 100 degree heat..and the 6 coffees i had for breakfast...I'm SO glad it's over.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by awol70
...it was grueling at times...compiled with the temperature under my leathers in 100 degree heat..and the 6 coffees i had for breakfast...I'm SO glad it's over.
6 coffees on test day?!?!?!?

Glad all worked out for you.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MSF course for my license. Passed w/ 100% on both written and riding. Riding was pretty easy though using their 250s. Instructor said essentially the only way to fail was
  • Stunt
  • Drop the bike
  • Don't follow instructions

2 people failed cause they dropped the bike (one a girl who'd taken it like 4 times already). Strangely they didn't drop it during the figure 8. They dropped it during the emergency braking

Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 AM

In the UK I passed my mod 1 and mod 2 tests 1st time with 0 minors and 4 minors respectively.

But when I first started learning I was made to return to do additional road time before the guy signed off on the certificate.

Think when it comes to these tests nerves and excitement can play a big part in the end result

Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 AM

I passed first attempt. It was in a country town where the local cop simply follows you around town as you ride the bike. Funny thing was that I'd never ridden the bike (RD250 borrowed from my neighbour that he rode me to the police station on) and the first time I even felt how crappy the clutch engaged was as I was taking off with the cop car following. One intersection had a steep take off and I accidently lifted the front wheel. Luckily I went to school with his daughter so he obviously overlooked that. I even got busted on a main road doubling my mate on an RM125 by the same cop and when his daughter found out she told him off......funny ****. This happend only months before my test. Gotta love country towns.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: language
Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by newb craig
Think when it comes to these tests nerves and excitement can play a big part in the end result
Absolutely. honestly, the test was a no brainer...nerves were my largest obstacle of all.
(but the coffee didn't help either.)