Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

noise complaints...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: noise complaints...

I've lived an apartment complex now for 3 years. Never have I heard of anyone getting a complaint for their loud exhausts or bikes. Been around turbo'd cars showing off their blow0ff valves at 12am, 1am, Trans-am, Camaros ...etc. But of course this is a college town. The only noise complaints you hearis the one's that have the crazyparties that usually end with fights.

I'd just be worried about vandalism.

If you can rent a house go with that, otherwise just don't be a dick and rev your bike at inapporiate(sp) hours and let your friend know the same.Another thing that helps is making the initiative and meeting your neighbors and letting them know that you might be coming home at the later hours and your vehicles are on the louder side and you'll try to be as quiet as possible. People will understand that its a motorcycle and modified car so they will give you some leeway just don't abuse it. Hope this helps.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: jaynd

.i was curious to you members who live in apts, do you get hassled alot for how loud your bikes/cars are?
The "friendly" folks at my gf's condo don't care for my bike. I have made a point to be quiet in the parking lot and they still complained about *gasp* a motorcycle in their secluded snobby world. Screw them.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

I'd just be worried about vandalism.

If you can rent a house go with that, otherwise just don't be a dick and rev your bike at inapporiate(sp) hours and let your friend know the same.Another thing that helps is making the initiative and meeting your neighbors and letting them know that you might be coming home at the later hours and your vehicles are on the louder side and you'll try to be as quiet as possible. People will understand that its a motorcycle and modified car so they will give you some leeway just don't abuse it. Hope this helps.

+1

My bro and his wife got back from their honey moon and their apartment was breakin into. Luckly just some cheap jewelry and a laptop was stolen. Also 3 others were broken into the same day. PEOPLE KNOW WHEN YOU'RE NOT THERE!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:02 AM

just be friendly and introduce yourself and say hi to your neighbors, if they can put a nice face on that loud noise they will look the other way, my datsun, and my truck are incrediably loud, but i have not one complaint by neighbors, and handful of copliments on my nice sounding autos. but a dick is what it is and you might live next to one.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Just be respectful and try to keep the RPM's down and you should be fine. I mean how loud can his car be?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

Just be respectful and try to keep the RPM's down and you should be fine. I mean how loud can his car be?
haha idk, but i guess i'll find out. he said its pretty damn loud.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have neighbors right across the street from me, and they hate us. We have 3 600RR's at the house, all with stock exhausts, and she calls the police on us every-time we go to warm up our bikes. Police shows up, asks us if the pipes are illegal/aftermarket, we say no, he's on his way.

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you don't rev your engine (because there is NO need ever to rev your engine on a bike, and if you're warming it up, you shouldn't anyway.) We all rev our engines, but it's pointless when warming up your bike........and other people who don't ride bikes know that.

I personally would throw a stock exhaust back on it if you are constantly and consistently leaving at 4 am........that would be courteous. I know I hate people with Camaro's and Mustangs with their WAY too loud exhausts waking everyone up at all hours of the night...........so I'm sure people get pissed at bikes as well.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

I personally would throw a stock exhaust back on it if you are constantly and consistently leaving at 4 am........that would be courteous. I know I hate people with Camaro's and Mustangs with their WAY too loud exhausts waking everyone up at all hours of the night...........so I'm sure people get pissed at bikes as well.

Consideration for others is why I got rid of my A/M pipe. I don't like everyone for 5 miles around knowing when I punch it a little either.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 PM

kinda OT..but as far as living with friends, we found a way to split things 3 ways. Bills for the house are split 3 ways, each person is in charge of collecting for their bill (e.g. I collect the money/pay the electric and gas bill). We have our 'own' food (which usually gets shared anyways) but we also will all contribute to a community pot of food....

Also, you might want to think about looking at town houses and condos. Me and 2 other friends got a sick 3 bdr, 3 bath condo. Of course, since I'm the 'car guy', I got the garage (which is great with the bike too).

As far as noise complaints go, like others said, just be considerate of others, after all, thats all you can really do. My not-so-street-friendly car HAD straight pipes (til a dick head cop tried to bust me, and shortly after, a free catback landed in my possession as a gift from a friend), and my bike has an (old/blown out) yosh pipe. Just do what you need to do (stay off the power) until you're away from the complex. Not just for noise complaints, but some might bitch about 'speeding', since for most of the public, loud = fast. I leave the house for work between 5.40 and 6 am, and I always point the bike away from windows when starting (though once the condos behind me get occupied, i'll probably start it in the garage with the door closed and open/wheel it out after the motor is already idling). Once I get in the complex, I'm real easy on the gas (same with leaving)...and if I see somebody with kids/dogs/older folk, I'll pull in the clutch and coast past them.

Common sense should keep you safe...good luck.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i appreciate all the feedback! i am definately not throwing my stock pipe back on and boxing up my two bros. pipe. i LOVE that sound.......but trust when i say im already conciouse of how loud it CAN be, my street now is littered w/ elderly people and parents (quite a few kids on my street), so im always trying to keep it quiet as possible when i get on my street. i dont think i'll have too much of an issue w/ the bike, but i will be leaving for work anytime between 3am and 5am (sometimes i get ALOT of overtime).......i'll def. keep the sound down as much as possible.

thanks again folks!

Quick Reply: noise complaints...