Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New Kansas Motorcycle Law

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
2011 Ride of the Year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great idea....did you test it yet????

Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM

poed

Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 PM

It's still going to be a pain to deal with, even if it's a law. I have had to "run" the light several times and it has always made me nervous about the man waiting or the potential of on-coming traffic seeing me as a target. At least spring is near.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been law in PA for I don't know how long. If a sensor controlled light doesn't change for a motercycle, it can be treated as a malfunctioning light and the rider may proceed when safe to do so.
Are you sure about that, Kuro? I'm aware of the malfunctioning light law, but I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned that bikes not triggering = malfunction.
I'm sure you could argue it in court.... but you can argue anything. (right up until they slap the cuffs on! lol.)

If it's safe and I've been sitting a while, I just go...... I really don't care.
But it would be nice to have some numbers to toss at the popo.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Are you sure about that, Kuro? I'm aware of the malfunctioning light law, but I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned that bikes not triggering = malfunction.
I'm sure you could argue it in court.... but you can argue anything. (right up until they slap the cuffs on! lol.)

If it's safe and I've been sitting a while, I just go...... I really don't care.
But it would be nice to have some numbers to toss at the popo.
Positive. Asked the MSF instructor about it.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Positive. Asked the MSF instructor about it.
While I believe you did, I was hoping that maybe you had an example of written law stating that motorcycles not triggering a light = light malfunction. MSF instructors aren't lawyers or police.

I ask because I just read a case where a biker got nailed in PA and tried the "malfunctioning light" argument. He got nowhere with the officer or judge because they both deemed the light to be functioning as designed.... ie "properly". I also read a blog where a PA biker did some research on this (calling up the ladder) and could find no such exemption.

I know that there is some wiggle room with how a judge interprets things, but if there is a reference in the law about motorcycles I'd like to know. (and be able to pass this info along to other PA bikers)

I've been waiting for this to be "ok" in PA for some time.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 PM

This law isnt meant for motorcyclist to fly through a red light, your suppose to stop still and act as you would with a broken flashing red light make sure to look around before you go. You will always find people that will abuse everything I hope and doubt that people will want to abuse this since its your own life your risking at that point

Originally Posted by kazspeed
Yes, your point?

I just think that the law is doomed because I know too many bikers that will abuse this. I think its hard enough driving defensive out there with all the cages, I just think its a bad idea to make this legal.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Agnyte
This law isnt meant for motorcyclist to fly through a red light, your suppose to stop still and act as you would with a broken flashing red light make sure to look around before you go. You will always find people that will abuse everything I hope and doubt that people will want to abuse this since its your own life your risking at that point
I'm frum Wisconsin and we have this law. It's a great law to have but you have to follow the rules like our one and only hottie Agnyte is saying. You can't go flying through red lights. On the flip side, there will always be someone running red lights regardless of any law put in place.....it is what it is.....

Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 PM

I wish they had this law in the north east where I ride.. I've gotten stuck at them before, it's usually late at night, so I stop, wait, look, and go - Luckily you can go right on red in most states, so if I'm really worried I just go right, then make a U-turn, as long as there is no sign about U-turns..