Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New Kansas Motorcycle Law

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kansas Motorcycle Law

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26978795/detail.html

Hopefully other states will also adopt this.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pittsm
http://www.kmbc.com/r/26978795/detail.html

Hopefully other states will also adopt this.

I don't agree with this law. Ill be the first to say its really annoying, but the idea of motorcycles running red lights just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 AM

As far as I remember that is the not the first state with that law. Im pretty sure in VA you can run the red light if the sensor does not pick you up and you are skipped a certain amount of times.
I don't agree with this law. Ill be the first to say its really annoying, but the idea of motorcycles running red lights just doesn't make sense to me
did you read below the video at all?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

wow, a new motorcyle law that is PRO motorcycles.... for once....

that is annoying, it happens to me all the time at the entrance to my neighborhood, but the way things have been going in florida as far as motorcycle laws go, i doubt we'll ever see anything like that.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
As far as I remember that is the not the first state with that law. Im pretty sure in VA you can run the red light if the sensor does not pick you up and you are skipped a certain amount of times.

did you read below the video at all?
Yes, your point?

I just think that the law is doomed because I know too many bikers that will abuse this. I think its hard enough driving defensive out there with all the cages, I just think its a bad idea to make this legal.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM

How many lights have you been caught at late at night that just will not change in your favor? Ive literally sat there for like 10 minutes waiting and finally said f-it. I also ran this risk and the time un-educated of being pulled over for "running a red light". As long as there are rules and regulations somebody will break or abuse them. You cant tag a bike as being the only rule abuser.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 AM

I agree with this law. I hate running through these "dead" red lights. However, the alternative is to creep way ahead of the line to let a car behind me trigger the light. That puts me in too close to traffic. Without redoing all the light triggers on every road, this is a good approach. As for people abusing it, they should get a ticket just like any other day.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 AM

the might as well make it a law... the light will not change so your going to have to run it anyway. esp late at night when theres no other traffic. at any rate even if you do get pulled over im certain you could easily appeal the ticktet

Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had a similar law here in Missouri for some time. I think it's a great idea, although I've never used it while on my motorcycle. The law in MO applies to any vehicle, not just motorcycles. If the light is malfunctioning and you're in your car and see it go through several cycles with giving you the green light you can proceed if it is safe to do so. There is also a provision about proceeding after a 'reasonable' amount of time has elapsed, although I don't know they ever were specific on how much time is considered reasonable.

I use it a lot while on my bicycle, although many people don't think bicyclists have to follow the same rules anyway so they don't give it a second thought when they see someone on a bicycle stop and then proceed through a red light.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kazspeed
Yes, your point?

I just think that the law is doomed because I know too many bikers that will abuse this. I think its hard enough driving defensive out there with all the cages, I just think its a bad idea to make this legal.

Your in New England so you most likely have a traffic system that is better than ours. But the law isnt in place for a motorcycle to just run the light as he wants. The light has to not change and you must go when it is safe to.

This law is awesome. I dont know if Louisiana has this law but ive had to do it a few times. I think most cops would understand anyways as long as your not a Dbag.

Quick Reply: New Kansas Motorcycle Law