Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New ducati 1199 WOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ducati 1199 WOW

reading motor cyclist today just to list a few things about the ducati

it practacly has no frame
a 195hp v twin engin
ride by wire throttle
all led lights
electronicly ajustible susention
abs
traction controll
mode settings and 3 engin brake settings

Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM

And a cbr still beats it.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Don't forget it is very light as well. I think they said 414 lbs wet. Which is why it cost damn near $25k. Amazing bike though.

Last edited by R Dub; 04-10-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I have to admit the dash is sweet as hell. But there's a concern that's been floating around for a bit since it broke daylight.

White Smoke..."Ducati you got some 'splainin to do"

Every vid I've seen of the Panigale getting started shows smoke coming out. Oil smoke. If that sticks, I wouldn't touch it. Give me one so I can sell it and get another BMW and a CBR

Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's Ducati's first real street race replica bike, imo. Major service (valve adjustment) intervals have been stretched to 15k miles or so and they got rid of those belts. We don't expect them on the lot for another couple months but we've got deposits for 20 some-odd units already. :O

Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by djbrower2
And a cbr still beats it.
no it doesn't...

195 hp and under 400 lbs..... that thing should be the closest anyone ever gets to a real race bike. i mean... that's close to what checa's bike made a last season

as far as the white smoke - ehh, i don't know. time will tell. but i'll tell you this much. Super short stroke twin (the pistons are the same dia. as a chevy big block's) - i bet those motors become time bombs once they hit 30,000 miles.

and one other thing, i bet you that you can't get much more power out of that motor.... which kind of ruins it for me...

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
no it doesn't...

195 hp and under 400 lbs..... that thing should be the closest anyone ever gets to a real race bike. i mean... that's close to what checa's bike made a last season

as far as the white smoke - ehh, i don't know. time will tell. but i'll tell you this much. Super short stroke twin (the pistons are the same dia. as a chevy big block's) - i bet those motors become time bombs once they hit 30,000 miles.

and one other thing, i bet you that you can't get much more power out of that motor.... which kind of ruins it for me...
Waiting for ppl to toss it into the same ring as the BMW. Both bikes are obscenely, absurdly and ludicriously fast. Most straights just ain't long enough to top them out AND safely brake for the turn.

So for me it'd come down to how they handle and the electronics. Ducati will have to really make it more than "Hey I bought a Ducati" Starbucks racers. And you can squeeze more out of the BMW engine.

For about $4k they'll handle you a new ecu, software to change every parameter in it and a waiver absolving them of what's to come. Might say "And God have mercy on your soul" when you leave

Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Waiting for ppl to toss it into the same ring as the BMW. Both bikes are obscenely, absurdly and ludicriously fast. Most straights just ain't long enough to top them out AND safely brake for the turn.

So for me it'd come down to how they handle and the electronics. Ducati will have to really make it more than "Hey I bought a Ducati" Starbucks racers. And you can squeeze more out of the BMW engine.

For about $4k they'll handle you a new ecu, software to change every parameter in it and a waiver absolving them of what's to come. Might say "And God have mercy on your soul" when you leave
ya, electronics, you can get more power... so you're right, but i was commenting more on - mechanically, there's not much else the motor could have done with it...

my point being that the compression ratio is SO high, the cams have so much duration, you couldn't really stroke it because you'd lose too many rpms - that kind of thing. a full ($1000+) exhaust system wouldn't really add any power - just looks and sound.

i mean... it's gettin to the point to where if you throw a full system and a PCV on a bike, you're only getting 5-10 more hp. how much power do you think if you spent 1200 on a termignoni you could get. and add to it, how much weight do you think it'd save?

its like my bike, the 954. if you added a full system with a custom tune, guys were getting 20hp and saving tons of weight. you could add ohlins to it and make it handle LIGHTYEARS ahead of what the stock bike can do. there was so much un-tapped potential.

i don't know... i guess i just don't want to buy a bike and it have no potential - because it's already maxed out.

what can i say? i hate stock bikes... buying beefed up stator covers just wouldn't do it for me.

but if i were to seriously contemplate a new bike - it'd be the panigale. and last year, i would have answered s1000r. so maybe i'm just bitching for the sake of bitching...