Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

neutral throttle or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral throttle or not?

ok this has been bothering me since i read a twist of the wrist 2. codes says to do all your breaking before entering the corner so you can focus on turing in fast, while most fast riders do trail brake. from what i have read intill apex you should be in a neutral throttle till apex to keep weight a little towards the rear so you dont over load the front tire. but people who are trail breaking are not in a neutral throttle position right? they are putting more weight than if they are off the throttle becuase they are on the breaks correct? so if you can be lightly on the breaks till the apex with no throtle then you can get to the apex with no throttle with out over loading the front?

this is confusing me. are people who are trail breaking on the throttle at the same time? if they are this does not make sence to me, would breaking and throttle at the same time just kind of cancle each other out? or is engine breaking from not being on the throttle at those rpms greater than the trail breaking so you ues the throttle to balance your weight and then lightly break putting weight toward the front less than your engine would?]

any information on this would be great thanks. i am going to be going to the track for the first time this summer and would like to get some facts straight. i am going to go out and try to be as smooth as possible and take it slow but i would like to know the fundamental techniques first.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: neutral throttle or not?

Cooking a corner, like most recipes, gives you a good guide in wot to do to make it right, but like everything else, you add your own ideas into the pot & if that works for you & your comfortable with it!.... Being confident & mentally in control is 90% of cornering technique.
Everyone has their specific ideas at setting up a corner, their right about braking (or lowering your speed using the gears) before entering a corner, it sets up to power (on) through it. Backing off or applying the throttle, changes the way your bike is gong into the corner (so neutral throttle). Braking in a corner is never a great idea, but sometimes you don't have a choice, well you do I guess & that is you can also lean more & punch your way through with more throttle, both have their negative aspects. Some of my friends hang of their bikes in a corner, some don't, but we all seem to get around them at pretty much the same pace.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: neutral throttle or not?

You may find these to be of value:
Too big as one file so I split it into 2 parts

http://cid-fd1db3fa41cb79a5.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/CBR1000F/Sport%20Riding%20Techniques/Sport.Riding.Techniques%201.pdf

http://cid-fd1db3fa41cb79a5.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/CBR1000F/Sport%20Riding%20Techniques/Sport.Riding.Techniques%202.pdf
They are geared specifically for road riders - big downloads, around 25 Mb each, but worth it !
Thanks to MarR of the Hurricane Forum for the links.