Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need Some Moral Support Guys Help A Kid Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Seriously, tho, what about using a little of your profit margin to rent a self-storage building or something? I see apartment dwellers using those as workshops/garages all the time.
This is a good idea.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that there's a Public Storage by my house that said as long as they "don't know" there's a motorcycle in their storage unit, they don't care.

Just try and keep the cost low, paying for a spot to house a motorcycle, OUTSIDE, and full price isn't worth it.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always been into hobbies that would benefit from having a dedicated workspace for vehicle maintenance.

Over the years I've considered making a business model up for a subdivided warehouse that basically is a self-storage building on steroids for the purpose of giving people a place to store project cars, workshop tools and such. Each bay built out of concrete and with appropriate fire-break to keep a fire in one unit from spreading to others. say give someone 20' x 35' of space with a roll-up door, 120v and 220v drops for power tools and welding. Adequate ventilation, and a center drain in each bay for washing the floor down when it gets dirty/greasy etc. On site coin op pressure washing bays, and a paintbooth facility available for daily/hourly fee. Renter provides all their own workspace counters, storage, etc.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM

many apartment complexes have garage units that you can also rent. it'll cost you but it will be cheaper than the previous duplex situation. Oh, and I would never leave my bike outside. Alarm or no alarm.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 AM
July 2010 ROTM

dude z
saving moneys good. as far as loosing a garage, yeah it sucks, but finish school and you can get one again. but the best thing to keep your bike safe, is comprehensive insurance from your agent who youve been with for years and years and knows you.

but yeah, i used to chain my bike up to my house, but now i dont worry about it. if anything happens to it i make like 5gs but seriously, insurance is the best protection and its really not that much more

Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another thing you can think about is getting permission from the apartment management to install an anchor on the lot to lock your bike to.

go around the parking lot and see if there is some unusable space, spots that a car can't possibly fit into. Ask permission and offer to do the work yourself. Many will be amenable.

Or also see if anyone else rides at the complex and group together to get permission. 3 motorcycles can fit into a single parking spot, so you'd actually be returning a couple spots if y'all share a single spot.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

thanks for all the suggestions guys i will look into all of them for sure...

van... yea thankfully my insurance person knows me by name lol... and not in a bad way

kuro... I will also check into your idea... its a very crammed parking lot so i do think ide be able to find a place where no cars can park....

they do have garage units for a additional 50 a month.... so we will see how bills go in a few months perhaps ill be able to rent one of those, i would take it out of the halo/audi jobs i do but i dont think im getting enough of those to be able to pay rent for the garage every month..

so we will see

Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Many great points here already, I'll just put in a little on the outside aspect of storing your bike.

I own a condo and while we have crazy HOA dues and such there are no garages. My bike has been outside (under a good MC cover obviously) in a very visible spot that would be very difficult for someone to ****** and not be seen. Also to note, the condo complex I live in has 12 different buildings and 8-10 bikes outside at all times, so far so good.

I'll also grant you I live in a smaller city outside Raleigh, NC and crime is very low here. YMMV depending on your location, etc.

In the end though if I walk out one morning and it's gone I just file insurance and go buy another. There are far worse things that could happen in my life.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Get Theft Insurance. If it's an apartment you're bike will get stolen it's only a matter of time. make sure you insure it to the full value of the bike too. Add on any improvements such as exhaust and paint ect get recipes. It will help. Low Jack also is VERY helpful. A friend of mine in Houston had his bike stolen 3 times from his apartment and got it back all 3 times in less then 2 hours upon calling the cops.