Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

went down for the 1st time today...moral of the story, wear your jacket

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went down for the 1st time today...moral of the story, wear your jacket

so in a nutshell heres what happend...i was driving down the street bout 40-50mphs, minding my own business, then some idiot makes an illiegal left turn comes outta no where and i'm pretty sure i was gonna hit her so i slam on my brakes, back tire locks up, not sure if my front tire locks up and my rear tire skids to the left and turns my bike to the right, instead of t-boning her i lay my bike down.

sadly...i left my jacket at home cuz i'm stubborn...i won't anymore though...i would be perfectly fine if i wore my jacket today. i end up spending 2 hours in the hospital while the nurse cleaned my wounds and they gave me antibiotics so my arm wont get infected....my arm doesn't look as bad in the picture cuz i took it right after i washed it...i shoulda tookit when it was bloody and gooey and had gravel in it.

anyways...heres some pics...don't make fun of my art but its just a picture of me trying to explain what happend. helmet got scraped up but worked well. My bike slid about 60-70 ft but the frame slider did an outstanding job. I do have to change the foot peg and the right brake lever...

anyways...moral of the story...always wear your jacket! dont try to impress the ladies with your tight shirts cuz its not worth it in the long run.

Name:  accident.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  helmet.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  15.0 KB

Name:  edited.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.2 KB
its really worse in person...this is an "after cleaning" photo...theres more on the back of my forearm as well

Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Default RE: went down for the 1st time today...moral of the story, wear your jacket

Yikes man glad to see you lived to post...Be safe!!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: went down for the 1st time today...moral of the story, wear your jacket

Glad your ok, wait till tomorrow "Ouch". Good moral for everyone though.
I bought a summer weight jacket this year cos of the heat, has armour though (back, shoulders & elbows). cos its so tempting to cool off on cruise down by the water with just a jeans & top for protection

Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 AM

did the idiot stop after he made you lay your bike down? Or was he a typical moron and *** and just kept going?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 AM

man youll be sore for a few days lol. glad you where in the er getting a leg taken off or somthing... good idea to lay it down instead of tbone, thats pretty much the choice i made on my crash.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:30 AM

it was a chick...she was nice enough to wait 40 minutes for the cop to come and file a report...she even admitted it was her fault and that she was the one that pretty much caused me to go down...any advice guys??? take her to court or what?? i dont know what for cuz i didnt even hit her...i barely missed her...i do need a new brake lever, foot peg, slider, maybe she can replace my exhaust for denting that up too, new right fairing?...i'm really not sure what to do now. do i just bite the bullet and spend the money to fix it myself? i only have liability insurance.

sorry to be so gross but heres the blister that came out on my knee after i went down, damage was pretty minimal to my legs since i wore jeans (don't be grossed out..this is all just to prove a point that gear should be worn)

Old 07-10-2007, 02:32 AM

Name:  blister.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  15.5 KB

Old 07-10-2007, 03:15 AM

idon't know if its the same over there as it is over here but If a police report was filed and she admitted blame then you should be able to claim on her insurance. If she has any. Good luck with it all.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:28 AM

The EXACT same thing happened to me last december, but I was in the car and I was already slowing for a red light. I hit the guy going maybe 20-25 mph. The asswipe who let the guy out didn't even stop. I did T-bone the guy pretty good and definately got him better than he got me.

Anyway, here's what you do: Go through her insurance company and get all of your stuff reimbursed. That includes your helmet/parts/medical. The insurance company will want a copy of the police report (did the officer issue her a ticket for her not yeilding/illegal turn? - he should have). Tell her insurance company that she admitted fault and made the illegal turn, they'll see all of this when they get the report. Be a real pain in the *** with them or you won't get squat to replace/repair your busted stuff and medical reimbursment - they like to play games and drag it out hoping you'll give up.
If they start jerking you around, call a lawyer and make it real nasty on them by going after them for everything plus pain/suffering crap. You could get a lawyer now, but see if they play ball first, it's up to you. DO NOT pay for all of this stuff out of your own pocket and let it slide with her insurance. In the long run with parts/medical stuff you'll be out close to $1000-1500 or so.

Anyway, good job on laying it down...a much better alternative to flying over the hood or roof then breaking lots of bones. Heal up quick and keep us posted

Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 AM

My advice is to lawyer up NOW. You will ALWAYS get more money when you have an attorney...trust me. When her insurance company calls you, and you tell them to call your attorney, they get scared.

Quick Reply: went down for the 1st time today...moral of the story, wear your jacket