Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Moral Dilemma...did i do right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moral Dilemma...did i do right?

Ok i will try to keep it brief. So i recently broke up with my gf, love her to death but i just constantly felt i couldnt trust her even if she was telling the truth. Anyways i was always gonna teach her to ride so last week she texts me and tells me one of her friends (some chick she met at work) is going to teach her to ride (kick in the teeth for me). Anyways she tells me about how fun it was just riding on the back blah blah and she said the people they were riding with were doing wheelies and bumpin bikes throwing each others cut off switches etc...totally stupid shyt. I always told her 3 things minimum. 1 always wear a helmet 2 never ride where you or driver has had anything to drink and 3 no the drivers ability to ride and their habits of riding. Anyway point is this im looking for a job and always wanted to be a mechanic especially for bikes. I am i guess a backyard mechanic with no certification. Well she knows im looking and said "i met some 'friends' who are bike mechanics want me to see if they need help?". so heres the deal she knows them what a week and tells me all the stupid shyt they are doing...1 would i even want to befriend and work amongst such idiocy as well as do i want to maintain a constant connection with her. I have been trying to stay away from her thats hard enough but to add my work life into it might be a bit much. Again i love her but in reality sometimes love isnt enough...say it aint true but it is. Anyways sorry to offend anyone that does those games with their bikes and for the long post. Was i right to just say nah i appreciate it just dont want you to put your neck out??????

Thanks all

Old 04-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Default RE: Moral Dilemma...did i do right?

walk away for good.

don't use her "help", don't work with guys who truly are squids.

cut her out completely, and if you truly want to be a mechanic go to a tech school to get certified then you can go to any dealership you want.

just say "kbye".

done and done.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM

The Cuttoff switch "game" is pretty funny sometimes when tooling around lazily in town where traffic is at a minimum.

But who knows man... I would say suck it up and get your foot in the door if you can. The problem without having a degree/certifications in that stuff is getting IN. I would try to hit up some local shops on your own... find out where these guys work and hit that place if your luck isn't holding out and you haven't found a job elsewhere. Then, when you go there, you can always "name drop". Once you've got some experience (on the job), then moving to another facility later is much easier.

It's been proven, in my life, again and again that experience and "who you know" matters more than degrees and certifications. Do what you have to do, and know that I do not disagree with your decision either way. Matters of the heart sometimes need the distance and the riders aren't your kind of people. Sometimes you just want a job and need all the help you can get. Either way, you'll get it done. Just don't do anything you'll regret.

<edit>
I wanted to add that ASE certifications and an Associates Degree were how I got in the doors as a mechanic initially... when I went back to computers, it was much more about who I knew than what cert's I had. I've seen this be true both jobs however.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:37 PM

Definitely a good call. As far as relationships go, if there isn't trust then there just isn't a bright future for anyone. So good for you for knowing whats best as well as not surrounding yourself with ignorant people. If you wish to pursue anything with being a bike mechanic (I could see myself doing this too, actually) You'll want to not be associated with reckless individuals who probably fix bikes like they ride them, rough.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't mix business with pleasure
Stay away from the crazies - you'll probably end up spending all your time fixing their bikes - If they live long enough.
Look for a reputable firm and ask around - the right thing will come along if you work at it. (applies to girls also)

Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Registered Users

i second or third or whatever...just walk away....i can tell you from experience..it's the right thing to do..you will be better in the long run for doing it...

Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 PM

thanks a lot guys. I guess 4/5 aint bad. I would really go back to school but i already racked up 30K in student loans for my BA and i really dont want anything to do with business go figure. Just really dont want to add to the pot. Anyways ill just keep low profile with her and just do things on my own. I got this far without help guess i can go a bit more. Thanks gents!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:10 PM

smart thinking, it's tough - i know - but it's the right thing and will benefit you by eliminating inevitible future drama.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:11 PM

Forget about her, try not to lose sleep thinking of all the mechanics and squids gangbangin her on their bikes lol.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man is this forum slippin ... how can we answer without even knowing ...

Is She h _ _ ???

Quick Reply: Moral Dilemma...did i do right?