Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need an opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need an opinion

So my roomate has been taking the zx6e i just put together out and riding it around. So far he has been safe, although he has no motorcycle license, which was pretty risky. But he has been riding with me, slow, and through quiet roads.

Well, disaster happened.
He decided to let someone I don't know, whom also has no license ride the bike, take it out without asking me and not with me at the time.
He dropped it hard.

So I now have a wrecked bike.
Pretty busted up, if i could give you a taste: he hit the ground so hard he ripped the slider off the bike, tore the bolt through the engine mount.
Easily 500 dollars in damage.

I had a guy coming to buy the bike this weekend for 1000 cash in hand.

Opinions anyone?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Make your friend own up and pay you the loss...your friend will have to deal with his other friend that drop the bike.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beat both their asses with an exhaust pipe. but then again, you really have nobody to blame but yourself.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itlnF4I
beat both their asses with an exhaust pipe. but then again, you really have nobody to blame but yourself.
yea i guess so.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Riding the bike without your permission is called theft. Regardless of the room-mate's
permissions, it is still a crime. Hate to say it though, with the wierd chain of almost
permissions (i.e. you HAD granted the room-mate access to the bike), your best bet is
probably civil small-claims court, if you want to re-coup any of your loss.

I can only imagine what this will do to your relationship with your room-mate.
Best I can say on that front, decide if he's worth the extra income and his value as a
friend and decide whether it's worth more than the bike. If it is drop it and move on.
If it ain't, throw his *** on the street, (sans the assualt charges, no matter how richly deserved).

Good luck, Ern

Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 AM

it really does suck though. i did it to a friend, i was riding his bike, well it was in his name we were paying half the payments each and switching off whenever, i wrecked it pretty bad, but i paid to fix everything and did all the work. which is how it should be but you never really know a person till something liek this happens

Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by itlnF4I
Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Riding the bike without your permission is called theft. Regardless of the room-mate's
permissions, it is still a crime.
Good luck, Ern
These.^

Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your room mate is @ fault here. He took your bike and then allowed another person to ride it without your express permission. Licensing doesn't actually factor into this - unless the authorities are involved.

I'd compare this to him grabbing any other thing that belongs to you and trashing it - say you had a nice TV and he just decided to let someone else use it and in the process it got broken - he owes you for his actions and lack of better judgement.

If he doesn't come thru with the right thing - I'd go look for the exhaust pipe.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:27 PM

yeah man its situations like these that can show how good of a friend someone actually is but most of the time it just leads to the end of the friendship. I let plenty of my friends ride my f4i that i shouldnt have but if they crashed it i was ready to deal with it and i know all of em wouldve paid me for the damages or at least helped as much as they could.
Him letting a friend ride it without your permission is a whole other level though. Id put sole responsibility on your friend for covering the damages regardless of if he pays or gets the kid who wrecked it to pay as long as he ponies up the money to fix it somehow. You could also tell him or his friend to just give you $1000 and the bike is theirs as is and you can be clean of the situation and they can work it out however the hell they want from there.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM

If it were me, I think I'd have one less room-mate!

Quick Reply: Need an opinion