Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Nature of the beast

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nature of the beast

Funny title, but here is the short anecdote.

Currently, I ride my bike to school as a commuter and I sometimes I am not the only one who ride and park at the same designated spot where motorcycles can lock up their bikes. I have parked next to an R6, a GSXR 750 and an old BMW. I never saw the riders of the R6 and GSXR 750 until recently. So, as a nice guy that I normally am, I say hello and how are you and compliment their ride--because naturally having a motorcycle and especially a sport bike and being able to ride one is a very nice skill to have.

As I go to start my bike, nothing unusual, I just start it up and take about a minute to let it warm up and at the same time I put on jacket, gloves and helmet. As I am leaving I say have a nice day and be safe! I don't rev my bike up when I start it because it is just a habit--and also I don't need to.

But why does another rider who starts his bike up have to rev it up when another biker is in his presence? Is it me or just the nature of the beast of owning a powerful two wheeled vehicle? Or is it that one must feel good and show off that he has something better or think he has something better than you?

This happened to me once about two weeks ago when the R6 rider came to his bike. Same thing as above. I start my bike; he starts his bike and rev the engine.

This again happened to me today with the GSXR owner.

Now I know that it feels good to rev up your engine when you start your bike, but I think that both of these guys purposely did this because they felt they had something better than my F4i.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a natural thing to want to show off, at least I think so. However, we all know that being able to twist a throttle does not a good biker make. They're jealous of your Honda anyway

Old 05-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well having an older carbed bike. I gotta give it a little rev when I start it up, otherwise sometimes it will stall out. A tune up probley would help. But i find just a little rev and it will idle perfectly after.

I wouldn't take it personally

Old 05-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, nice replies.

I didn't take it personal, just thought it was kind of funny.

I also had the experience of two other GSXR riders come up to me while I was riding on my way to school. They had no gear whatsoever and one had a nice chic on the back, and again, no gear, not even a helmet on either three of them.

I was riding home another day and a bike was in the opposite direction and as soon as I rode pass his position, he revved his engine.

Attention needing they are, even more so funnier because they need that attention.

At least that is the one thing that I understand, it is just the nature of the beast when you own a two-wheeled motor vehicle.