Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My first contribution to the OT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008 | 10:37 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: My first contribution to the OT

^ Actually Soccer is right, its just hard to word i think. But i know i have heard stories from my grandparents, stating how they never locked the doors at night. Never worried to close up windows when they left, and things like that. Not to say the world was a happy go lucky place, but 30-40-50 years ago, the world was a more trusting place, and certainly had to be less crime.

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:12 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

^ Actually Soccer is right, its just hard to word i think. But i know i have heard stories from my grandparents, stating how they never locked the doors at night. Never worried to close up windows when they left, and things like that. Not to say the world was a happy go lucky place, but 30-40-50 years ago, the world was a more trusting place, and certainly had to be less crime.
Sorry, I just can't agree with that statement.

30-40-50 years ago, right here in America, we had a well-known mafia on the streets, training videos instructing children to hide under their desks in case of a nuclear attack, segregation...I can go on and on. I'm not saying it was a worse place, but it sure as hell wasn't better.

People like to say how bad things are in this day and age, but the truth of the matter is that humanity hasn't changed, only technology has. At one time, people getting mauled by wild animals was a spectator sport. These days we have mixed-martial arts fighting. At one time, children fought in wars and were trained killing machines. These days, kids blast up schools. Only the means of the murder and our tolerance based on the reasoning have changed.

Humans are, always have been, and always will be violent and selfish creatures, so please don't try to tell me that old people are naive because they came from "Pleasantville." Every aging generation hits a point where they simply start to get out of touch, as change occurs so rapidly in this world. It doesn't mean things are getting worse, it only means that trends have changed.

These same people who told you stories about how they kept their doors unlocked at night, TK954RR, were young at one time too...and you can bet your *** that their grandparents always told them how the world was going to hell in a handbasket and how things were better when they were young. IMHO, it's simply a natural inclination for aging people to get stubborn and set in their ways, thus resisting change and labelling it as bad.

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:23 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I see and for the most part accept your point Buss. I did grow up in a smaller town here, and while i do agree with you now that i have read it and thought it thru, the one point or word that i still think is correct though is "trust". I still think 10-20 years ago or even more, people were more trusting of others then they are now. Perhaps to some point it was nieve, but being from a smaller town i have seen the change personally.

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:31 AM

I like how very few facts about deforestation etc. were even brought up. For one, in the US deforestation is actually the least of the national parks/forest systems problems. In fact most national forests in the US are too heavily forested! Every little fire is extinguished and never let spread, is this good? No! The forests are unnaturally vegetated because of the stop of fires. To combat this, logging should be a more utilized management tool. If your going to halt fires, you better allow logging to some extent. At the moment most forests in the US are "unhealthy" and creating prime "damaging" fire fuel. When there is not so much fuel fires create a habitat mosaic that is healthy and prevents the large destructive fires so often seen today! Granted in other countries, primarily tropical forests, deforestation is a huge problem, but in NC? Hippies, use your reason, your a bigger part of the problem than the solution! Keep your emotion away from the science, and let scientific policy be made, not emotional policy ie. harder than hell to get any sort of logging permit in US forests! End Rant

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:43 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: jaghunter

I like how very few facts about deforestation etc. were even brought up. For one, in the US deforestation is actually the least of the national parks/forest systems problems. In fact most national forests in the US are too heavily forested! Every little fire is extinguished and never let spread, is this good? No! The forests are unnaturally vegetated because of the stop of fires. To combat this, logging should be a more utilized management tool. If your going to halt fires, you better allow logging to some extent. At the moment most forests in the US are "unhealthy" and creating prime "damaging" fire fuel. When there is not so much fuel fires create a habitat mosaic that is healthy and prevents the large destructive fires so often seen today! Granted in other countries, primarily tropical forests, deforestation is a huge problem, but in NC? Hippies, use your reason, your a bigger part of the problem than the solution! Keep your emotion away from the science, and let scientific policy be made, not emotional policy ie. harder than hell to get any sort of logging permit in US forests! End Rant
LMAO...jag, I got halfway through your rant before I even remembered what this thread was originally about. We've really gone off on a tangent here.

TK, I am going to have to go ahead and agree with your point on trust. I think it's a fair statement to say that people used to be more trusting. For that, I guess I would have to attribute it to the technology and baby boomers. There are more ways for people to get hurt and ripped off these days than ever before, and a lot more people out there to utilize the various methods of mishchief. I suppose that people are simply more aware and well-informed these days, generally speaking.

Old 09-09-2008 | 02:34 PM

This was on Howard this morning, they are all a bunch of nut-jobs. Take a shower!!

...and how DEEP in the woods are these people?!?! Hopefully really DEEP...

Old 09-09-2008 | 03:57 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Dudes, I felt like an oxygen thief reading all that ... the kicker is my puter at work blocks most video so I didn't even get to see the original seed of this thread.

However the thread does contain some good points:

1) post whoring is bad ... and against the rules
2) we do not all agree on everything. does not mean the other person is a f'ing retard.
3) old people have more life experience. if from oz they talk/write funny. it's o.k.
4) Havoc has a sharp, pointy axe-like stick.

Prolly others but I got bored with it. Glad to see the conversation is headed into more civil territory.

And wassup with the 'nemesis' stuff?

Old 09-09-2008 | 04:21 PM

i would bring you up to speed but i promised a mod that i would play nice. (kicks a rock)

Old 09-09-2008 | 04:32 PM
Retired Moderator

I think Jay Cutler is Wilfred Brimley's diabetes nemesis...

Old 09-09-2008 | 05:08 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

I think Jay Cutler is Wilfred Brimley's diabetes nemesis...
Oooooooooooooo....too soon...