Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My Balls are freaking awesome

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:33 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ***** are freaking awesome

I wanted to share my meatball recipe with everyone. Meatballs, are the perfect food, they are truly one of the few things on this planet that give me pleasure. I cannot explain why, or how, but they do touch my soul.

This is a variant of a classic, simple meatball recipe that my Mother made. I have spent 40+ years eating meatballs and have tried so many types that I feel very confident saying, that these are quite possibly the finest meatballs on the planet.

1 pound of ground chuck. Preferable freshly ground and still 'fluffy'. Pork/veal not needed, but a little won't hurt.
6 to 8 large cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 eggs
1/2 large sweet onion chopped small, but not as small as the garlic
1 cup Breadcrumbs - plain or italian bread put through a fine grater
1 cup gratedromano cheese - I use Locatelli, salty and sharp, from sheeps milk
1/2 cup shredded mozzerella cheese, Get the whole polly-o and shred yourself.
1/2 cup chopped italian, flat leaf parley
pinch of thyme
pinch of oregano
bay leaf
1 cup milk
salt and pepper

1 can San Marenzano Tomatos, whloe peeled, I use Cento.
1/4 tsp (no more than that, maybe less) baking soda
Basil

This first step is the variation of the classic recipe, it involves a faux bechamel.

In a saucepan lightly simmer milk, 1/2 of the chopped onions and 1/3 of the garlic, bay leaf, pinch of pepper, oreganoand thyme. After 15 minutes, strain out the solids, and keep the flavored milk, let cool.

Get a 1/4 cup ofextra virgin olive oil and 'toast' 1/3 of the garlic until golden in a skillet on lo/medium heat. If you burn it start over. remove garlic and let cool. Keep oil in pan. Add this tasted garlic to the rest of the ingredients,keep 1/2 of the milk separate.

Mix all remaining ingredients, but try and keep them 'fluffy'. I know that makes no sense, but when you are doing it it, it will.

Add some of the flavored milk and continue mixing. Mixture should be soft, but still just hold shape. Also taste for salt and pepper. Add milk until therighttexture is reached. A hard meatball needed more milk, a meatball that falls apart had too much. Better luck next time.

Lightly fry ***** in oil. Just a little color then flip/roll. Add oil if needed. Put browned ***** into pyrex dish.

Open tomatoes, use a shape knife to break up tomatos in can. Pour into skillet that was used to fry the *****. when it gets hot add the baking soda (it will foam), add 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil and 1/2 cup parsley.

Pour sauce over ***** and bake at 325 for an hour.

It is freaking awesome. You can put more cheese on top when it is almost cooked.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Default RE: My ***** are freaking awesome

Nothing like a well typed Ball recepie at 5:30am. Hahaha.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lrn2Go

Nothing like a well typed Ball recepie at 5:30am. Hahaha.
+1 I've been needing a good ball recepie......... I think [&:]

Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Retired Moderator

I am ****ting you not Frydaddy, I got off of this sight last night and watched a Gordon Ramsey show where the chef was making meatballs. That looked so good that I went to the store and bought frozen meatballs and made spaghetti. I wanted to make them homemade, but it was too late to get started. Needless to say, I was not impressed my the frozen meatball dinner. Good thing I drank a bunch of wine. Anyway, the next time I make meatballs, I will try your recipe and let you know how it turned out. However, I shudder to think of a time I will say what great ***** you have...[&:]

Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I thought you were going to post this: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/678344

Old 02-18-2008, 07:42 PM

I was looking for a recipe right now believe it or not. I want to make something good for dinner tonight. Sounds like meatballs win.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound good fishy
Might have to give it a try.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Banned

Let me know how it turns out. If I am going to make tender/light meatballs I usually do them in the oven, they won't break apart. Harder ***** go in a pot because you can stir them. The taste is close, but I think the oven makes/keeps the tomatoes sweeter, maybe the heat is easier on them.

Edit: Maybe next week I'll post my canneloni recipe, that was always a deal closer with the ladies.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 AM

how bout...you pack them up in a nice tupperware container and send them to me. Dont forget about the spaghetti!