F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

What is the freaking problem here

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the freaking problem here

Hi guys,

Ever since I bought my bike, it has nothing but trouble. LOTS and LOTS of money have been donated to Honda Dealer without even them fixing my bike completely. (Personally think CBR forum is better than honda technicians...)

Anyhow, here is my problem here.
This has happened to me twice!!! already!!!

When I drive out for ten min, there is a time when my rpm starts to drop little little and then my bikeshut off while driving. Interestingly,this isalready the second time it has happened. Both of themoccurred when temperature was about 228~230.Also, my tankgetsREALLY HOT when this happens!< is this normal ? After I restart my bike from the street and then park it, and came back to restart it, it takes couple of chokes to start it. I have a battery tender and I have it on almost everyday by the way!

I don't know what is the problem!!! and neither does the honda guys!!!
Can any professional tech help me out here?

Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Default RE: What is the freaking problem here

So its overheating? Does the fan kick on around 220?

Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Hmmmm....first. What year is your bike? Second you bike gets to 228-230 in ten minutes? Thats a bit hot for such a short time. You mentioned chokes, do you have a F4i or an F4? The "i" refers to fuel injected. If you have a F4i, they you don't have a choke for a carburetor on your bike. A couple of possibles from what you have stated.

Thermostat, if your overheating and shutting down.

Stator ( also known as a alternator on a car) Located on the lower left side of the bike, not getting enough power and causing a shut down.

Do you have enough coolant in your system? If its low then it could cause it to over heat.

The bike is designed to shut down if there is something not running correctly, this prevents the bike from causing any permanent damage to it.

When was the last time you had an oil change? Has the bike been ridden recently or been sitting for a few years.

Just a couple of thoughts that I would look into.

Good luck, let us know what the issue is and how you resolved it.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Hmmmm....first. What year is your bike? Second you bike gets to 228-230 in ten minutes? Thats a bit hot for such a short time. You mentioned chokes, do you have a F4i or an F4? The "i" refers to fuel injected. If you have a F4i, they you don't have a choke for a carburetor on your bike. A couple of possibles from what you have stated.
- my bike is 2001 Cbr 600 f4i. I said choke cause I got confused with my previous bike. Anyways, it is indeed injection. 228~230 is indeed possible because I live in Arizona.
Thermostat, if your overheating and shutting down.
- how can thermostat be a problem?

Stator ( also known as a alternator on a car) Located on the lower left side of the bike, not getting enough power and causing a shut down.
- if so, what can I do to check and resolve the problem?Do you have enough coolant in your system? If its low then it could cause it to over heat. - I'm sorry but where can I check that?
The bike is designed to shut down if there is something not running correctly, this prevents the bike from causing any permanent damage to it. -okWhen was the last time you had an oil change?
- I haven't had one since I bought the bike (not too long ago) and the previous owner had the oil change right before he sold it to me.

Has the bike been ridden recently or been sitting for a few years.
- recently, everyday!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:07 PM

These are a few brain storm ideas. The coolant is located on the right side of the bike. I asked my friend and they have never heard of that issue either. I am at a loss. Maybe a vapor lock if thats possible since you live in Arizona. I have ridden my bike all the way up to 250 and it didnt shut down.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:20 PM

Head gasket? See if you can find someone with a Block Checker. I use it in my auto repair business. It sniffs the steam from the radiator (have it running with the cap off) and if the fluid changes from blue to green it means a blown head gasket.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:59 PM

sorry no help here but what part of AZ, i lived in tucson for 15 years!. Also i had and 96 F3 out there and it never got that hot that fast, even in the summer

Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 AM

start simple
check coolant level
check oil
check battery & charging system.. to do this you need a dvom to measure the output of the charging system at the battery and check charging specs with what your bike is putting out
like how much power is going into the battery from stator and check specs for your year

if that sounds too hard then take it to a tech
hahha naw just messing
how does the bike run when it does start?? good on power or sluggish run smoooth idle??
any lights on?? fi light, oil light? anything when your riding
how does the exhaust note sound? strong? even? normal????
engine feel healthy during throttle? or low on juice?
i can help you find it but i need more info is hard to do diag on a message board

hah ha hit me back

Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to check and see how many amps the fuel pump is drawing. Doesn't sound like it's anything coolant or charging related, or it would be overheating and battery going dead. If it's just shutting off by itself, something else is going on

Old 10-10-2008, 01:00 PM

not true but i guess anything is possible..
the fuel pump could be at fault but its a wierd problem i need more info
he did mention that the tank gets super hot when it happens
but if he had a bad pump driveability issues would certainly follow that, i have never seen a pump that gets too hot and does not burn out, the fuel keeps that thing cool and if its burnt out they it would not start at all.... or run like crap

Quick Reply: What is the freaking problem here