Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

MSF tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck and relax. the class I took, only one person failed and that was because of the figure 8. That was the harder part for me too. Never did a figure 8 on a bike before that. I didn't have a chance to practice in an empty parking lot before my test. Heads up, look through the turn. The emergency braking was what almost failed me. I locked the rear on accident and released and re-applied but almost went too far. I had a enduro 200 for my test. Brakes were very touchy. It pissed me off because I did good on everything else though.

The test really isn't that bad. You shouldn't have any problem passing, unless you do something really stupid. Again, good luck and HAVE FUN!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, not trying to discredit anyone here, but you're wrong...

You can not fail the test because of the box(figure 8)...its impossible, there aren't enough points that could possibly be taken away from you. In fact, I don't believe there is a single evaluation that can cause you to fail if you do poorly, unless you drop the bike. Failing requires multiple mistakes on more than 1 evaluation.

Listen to the instructors... if they tell you to use both brakes, use both brakes, if they tell you to downshift, downshift. They will tell you everything you need to do. Listen and do it and you'll be fine.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I muffed the box too and passed. Did everything else perfect. Dropping the bike during the eval is an auto fail.

And at our brc you had 2 attempts at every eval. I just told the tester "K-turns work too"

Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those tight turn maneuvers like the fig. 8 and whatnot, learn the friction point and burn the crap out of that clutch. Made getting through it a lot easier for me. They go down a list of everything that will fail you. Best thing is to go in and be humble, don't think you know everything because you read some BS on these forums. My instructors were Harley riders, but had made multiple (double digit) trips across the country including Daytona and Sturgess so regardless of whether they knew anything about sportbikes or not, they know tons more about street riding than you.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by Ren19
what exercises does the skills part consist of?

Any pointers on certain exercises in the skills test; things that tripped you guys up? Stupid things you guys forgot to do? etc?
The skills test won't include anything that you didn't get a chance to practice during the class. If there's something you feel you're weak at let the instructor know and maybe he will let you practice on that while the rest of the class finishes up another exercise.

The only thing they took off points for me on was not using my brakes during a wide sweeping turn. Although I was in second gear I didn't feel that I was going fast enough to have to use any brakes. I wasn't scraping a peg or anything but they later said the brakes were required. I had interpreted their instructions to mean that if we felt that we needed to use any brakes to use both of them. Whatever. I'm more used to sweeping wide turns with my knee close to the ground than at a slow speed in a parking lot.

Get the clutch friction zone down. It's not your bike that you're burning the clutch up on anyway. I could almost do a track stand on that thing between feathering the clutch and standing on the rear brake and it really helped me with the figure-8 box.

Also, when they are ready to give the evaluation it helps if you're not the first one in the group to do the test so you can watch others and learn from their actions. Guess who they made go first in my class for the test?

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 10-06-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
The skills test won't include anything that you didn't get a chance to practice during the class. If there's something you feel you're weak at let the instructor know and maybe he will let you practice on that while the rest of the class finishes up another exercise.
When I took it, we had a little 15 minute break before the test and they set up the course with a braking section, the fig. 8 box, and the swerve test so we could practice up on parts we felt weak on.